Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 16:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/208/145 Female 63 "
BF:
Progress: 16%

Is this supposed to help with weight loss?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 17:12
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I got super dizzy a few hours after taking this, red face, just felt yucky.....I laid down for about an hour. I feel better now. Is this a normal reaction to this stuff??? I'd like to take the pills if they'd help....but I don't want to hurt myself either.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 17:19

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

You know I read on the Website that if you experience a heat sensation that this is a normal reaction, but I don't know about the red face?
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 19:24
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Yes, it is supposed to help with weight loss by speeding up the metabolism, I think, and getting rid of excess yeast.

I take the capsules (150 mg) and take 3 per day. I took my first 2 weeks of it and am now off of it for 2 weeks. I'll start again once the 2 weeks off are up.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 21:46

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomergirl

I read where some credit it with breaking stalls.

B57
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 00:08
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomergirl

You might find info here:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=167955&page=1

Just be ready for a REAL long read
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 07:27

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 149/138/132 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Better to buy on the internet, that is where I got mine, much cheaper than GNC where they wanted about 26 dollars for them. no way..............Just type in oregano gel caps in Google or Yahoo and check out the sites for cheapest prices.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-28-04, 13:13

Plan: Atkins/and calorie count
Stats: 188/178/124 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:

No offense, but is there a Reader's Digest version of the Oil of Oregano ~ & A's?
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-29-04, 09:28

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

First of all, I take mine diluted in olive oil, which is much safer. This is potent stuff. I think people who have the strong reactions are taking the full strength stuff, and I don't think it's a good idea. I get a little warmth at first, but NO BURNING. I think that's a good idea. So, if you have getting a bad reaction, try moderating your dose. I use 1 part OoO to 4 parts olive oil, per the Wolfe Clinic.

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/oregano.html

In brief:

Oil of Oregano is a potent anti fungal, anti bacterial, anti viral, and anti infection substance. If you have problems with yeast, it can kill the yeast, but may create "die-off" symptoms, kind of like flu. Backing off the dose until it is killing yeast at a level where your body can get rid of the toxins is the recommended way to handle these symptoms.

Unless you are sensitive/allergic to it, it doesn't seem to have any other side effects. I can't say it made me lose weight, exactly, since I was already working on a somewhat indulgent summer. Nor did I have any yeast problems that I knew of. However, it did WONDERS for my rosecea, and I added 4 full strength drops to my shampoo, and it cleared up a little bit of flakes, so I am a believer.

Also, I had taken two full courses of antibiotics this summer, and OoO got my missing energy back. I think it's a great tonic, but I would take it for the complexion situation alone.

Most sources recommend two weeks on, two weeks off.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 07:16

Plan: Atkins/and calorie count
Stats: 188/178/124 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Default Want to try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
First of all, I take mine diluted in olive oil, which is much safer. This is potent stuff. I think people who have the strong reactions are taking the full strength stuff, and I don't think it's a good idea. I get a little warmth at first, but NO BURNING. I think that's a good idea. So, if you have getting a bad reaction, try moderating your dose. I use 1 part OoO to 4 parts olive oil, per the Wolfe Clinic.

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/oregano.html

In brief:

Oil of Oregano is a potent anti fungal, anti bacterial, anti viral, and anti infection substance. If you have problems with yeast, it can kill the yeast, but may create "die-off" symptoms, kind of like flu. Backing off the dose until it is killing yeast at a level where your body can get rid of the toxins is the recommended way to handle these symptoms.

Unless you are sensitive/allergic to it, it doesn't seem to have any other side effects. I can't say it made me lose weight, exactly, since I was already working on a somewhat indulgent summer. Nor did I have any yeast problems that I knew of. However, it did WONDERS for my rosecea, and I added 4 full strength drops to my shampoo, and it cleared up a little bit of flakes, so I am a believer.

Also, I had taken two full courses of antibiotics this summer, and OoO got my missing energy back. I think it's a great tonic, but I would take it for the complexion situation alone.

Most sources recommend two weeks on, two weeks off.

I really want to try it but don't have time for the 110+ pages of opinions/facts. Wild is best? Liquid is best? Price_________ is best? Help!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 07:52

Plan: my own
Stats: 151.5/142.0/125 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:?
Progress: 36%

I gave some to my 15yr old son because he felt a cold coming on. He came back the next day wanting more because he had so much energy, his face cleared up and the little rash on his foot was going away. I, myself had severe die off symptons. Maybe I'll try again when I'm not so busy and have more time to sleep.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-04, 08:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I really want to try it but don't have time for the 110+ pages of opinions/facts.

Uh... well, all of us have had different experiences with it, so the facts you're seeking really aren't here. It has never been promoted as a weight loss aid and there's been no research touting it as such. *If* you have yeast issues, and it's stalling your weight loss efforts, it can help. But it's not going to solve a problem you don't have.

I took it and didn't lose a single pound - but my acne went into complete dormancy, so I'm still taking it. Another 'but': I was taking it with Udo's Choice supplemental oil, which is a mixture of flax and other oils. Good ratios of EFAs is also known to help acne, so it might not have been the OOO at all. Someone else here credited OOO for their weight loss and acne, but they were taking OOO with flax oil. So be skeptical when you're reading all this self-reporting.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 13:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 298/285.5/170 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Oil Of Oregano

I can't believe so many of you here, complain about your aches, pains, brain fog etc. But when others offer you a cure, you complain about the awful taste of the herb! Complaining about the cost of the product and then stop taking it after a few days. Oh and to hell with the benefits, "if I can't loose weight, the oil of oregano is not working for me". If you're overweight, the odds are you have other health problems too. Maybe some of you just aren't ready to be healthy. You want to really cleanse your system? Plan on feeling like crap for a few days. I take an entire dropper of oil, that's 1.0 ml. 3x per day. Is it burning my tongue, do I want to gag? Yes but those side affects won't stop me from taking it and getting well. After three days, my brain fog lifted, my sense of smell returned, I have energy, my muscles and joints stopped aching. Coughing and runny nose have subsided. Stop complaining and swallow it by the dropper, it works.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 14:52

Plan: my own off and on
Stats: 244/193.4/180 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 79%

i take the oo in capsul form from my health food store and i dont seem to have any problems infact everyone was sick at my house and i started taking it again and didnt get it
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-05, 15:31

Plan: low carb
Stats: 215/206/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I aslo take the gel caps (150 mg) just one a day!!! I do not take it for weight loss however, I do take it for other health benefits ie.. wording off colds and helping with allergies!! when everyone starts to get sick in my house or if I start to feel something comming on,,,I up the dose to 3x a day and I havent been sick in a while!!!! I used to be sick every time I turned around...now, since taking OOO,I have only had a cold (minor,for 3 days!!) I love this stuff and will never go with out it again!!!!