Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 20:28

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: // Male 65 centimeters
BF:25/17/10
Progress: 91%
Default ideal fasting blood glucose level ?

It says 60-110 is normal range. I guess it too wide a range.
What the ideal value ? 80/90 ?
thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 22:09

got the answer.. it should be below 90 mg/dl. Anybody with
higher than 100 mg/dl blood sugar will have hard time losing fat.. that probably explains why it is so hard to lose..
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 20:23

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

My blood glucose is 98. The girl in the lab thought this was good but I thought that it was a bit high. According to what you are saying, I was correct. This could explain my stalls but I worry more about getting diabetes down the road. My carbs are quite low, I thought. I am going to experiment and see what happens.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 21:54

Ms. black57 ,
My doc did not even look at since it was in the "so-called" normal range. Now according to Cleveland Clinic, it ought to be below 90 ml/dg. That would make more than 70% pre-diabetic.

Dr. Walter Willet of Harvard said the same thing of BMI index..too wide a range ...

People seem to have blind faith in their in docs ..I'm afraid that ought to change.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 21:36

BF:

Thanks for that info Neeam. I agree that we should not blindly accept everything our doctors tell us. I think that we should know about certain topics as well as they do.

I thought my glucose range was too low for the doc to stress over. But, he is not the one that needs to worry about diabetes. I have always researched things and try to legitamize things that work for me. I try to understand why my body works as it does. I do not rely on my doc to know everything. It is just as important that I know as much as my doctor about certain things.

There was an "expert" doctor, on TV, who declared ketosis as being the most dangerous accomplishment know to mankind.I happened to look up glucagon on the internet which said that it enhances lipolysis. It spoke of lipolysis as being a good thing. Hey, lipolysis is ketosis.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 23:10
Registered Member

Plan: basic low carb
Stats: 219/202/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

They used to say that a fasting glucose of 126 or higher was diabetic, and 110 or higher was prediabetic. Late last year the guidelines were changed--now a fasting glucose of 100 or higher is considered prediabetic, or "impaired fasting glucose."

I bought a kit to test mine because I suspected I had a problem. When I started testing, my FBG was consistently in the 100-115 range (argh!). (At the time, I was doing a loose CAD approach, which clearly was not working for my body. A couple days, my BG was down under 75 by dinnertime from not snacking, and then soared over 150 after a "reward meal" dinner that was admittedly not very balanced....)

Having prediabetic FBG levels was a wakeup call for me. That was one reason I decided I'd better get my act together. I switched to a basic low-carb approach on March 7.

Now my FBG is consistently in the 80s or low 90s (and even occasionally in the 70s). FWIW, the Life Extension Foundation says a fasting glucose level of 83 or less is optimal. Initially I thought that was unrealistic, but after 3 weeks of this, I'm getting pretty close. I'm delighted with the 80-90 range.

I highly recommend getting a home blood glucose monitor. You can usually find deals on these--I got a Freestyle monitor free with the (expensive) test strips. I like mine because it can do alternate site testing, like the forearm, instead of the more sensitive fingertips. It is just amazing to be able to check and see what effect a given food is having on my body, instead of just guessing at it. Blood glucose varies, and if you're depending on a lab, you're going to get only a couple readings to work from (if you're lucky) -- if you have a home monitor, you can take as many readings as you want, whenever you want, and get a much more complete picture. This is probably the single best thing I've done to motivate myself to stay on track with low-carb.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 01:48
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
if you have a home monitor, you can take as many readings as you want, whenever you want,

If you're doing that, definetly get a multi site monitor. This is from someone with experience with very sore fingertips.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 08:43

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

The monitors are not that expensive - it's the test strips. I work hard to keep my bs down, and rarely does it go below 120. I"m hoping as I lose more weight and exercise more, I can get it down.

I would definitely be concerned if my bs was in the nineties. That's just too close for comfort. The good news is that with proper diet and exercise, you can probably avoid diabetes. The disease itself isn't so bad, it's the damage it causes to your eyes, kidneys, liver, feet and other organs. And by the time the damage occurs, it's too late to do anything about it. I've learned that the hard way.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 18:57

BF:

I agree Susan. I have had hypoglycemic symptoms before I began lcing. My mom is diabetic. I came to the conclusion that glucose 98 is just too high. My lipids were wonderful but I was not happy with my blood sugar.

How can I bring that down?
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 20:28

fendel, I'm interested to know what your carb intake level. In terms of gram. BG holds the key to well being and one needs to be mathematically precise to get it to a certain level. Earlier I used to think why the heck bother about "gram of carb" as long as one does not gain weight. hey it is more than that...

My FBG runs around 100 and would like to get it around 90. Carb intake needs to come down as we age to keep up with BG..

healthy people have low BG and hence low insulin level..
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-30-04, 22:56
Registered Member

Plan: basic low carb
Stats: 219/202/170 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by neeam
fendel, I'm interested to know what your carb intake level. In terms of gram. BG holds the key to well being and one needs to be mathematically precise to get it to a certain level.

Honestly, I'm not really sure. I don't count very carefully--I probably should, and if my weight loss seriously stalls I'll probably have to. Today I think I had under 20g of carb. Yesterday, maybe 30g. But I'm mostly guessing. Sorry I can't be more precise... I do know that one day a week and a half ago I must have had at least 40g plus some maltitol-sweetened treats (which I do seem to digest; it tends to stall me) and the next morning my BG was 85. I've had other mornings it's in the 90s and I have no idea why because I was "good" the day before. (Where's that "shrug" smilie...)