Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 08:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/152/144 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Planning for Carb treats- need help

I'm on maintenance and at my goal weight. I used to be 3 lbs. below goal weight until my weeklong romance with biquits and gravy and other New Orleans treats on vaca in December. I put back 5 lb, instantly dropping 3 lb upon return home without even trying. It's those last two pounds that won't budge. I'd like to lose those 2 lb.

My stumbling block is starting the day out low carb and high fat and then proceeding through a low carb high fat lunch and snack. And then having a "treat" at night if we go out. That blows the whole thing, because suddenly my day has become high fat AND high carb.

I'm wondering if I should switch to low fat and low carb on days when there is an evening treat coming up. But what could I eat that's low fat and low carb? Dry tuna?

I think that part of the problem is that I've become too dependent on cheese and nuts because of the convenience factor.

Any ideas out there?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 16:57
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi Vickiel,

Not enough information. When you say high carb treat, what do you mean? A carby meal, a dessert, drinks, or what? It's an interesting question and I am looking forward to hearing what people think, can you clarify it a bit?

Liz
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 17:20
Registered Member

Stats: 170/152/144 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Example:
Usual high fat food all day.
At bookgroup I indulge in a cream tart and cashews along with a glass of wine.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 17:56

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

Look, just stop eating the cream tart. Why not make a lower carb cheesecake or something if your desperate? Eating just cashews and a glass of wine wouldn't make your day 'high carb' at all, just not induction carb but you are in maintence not induction.

It would appear that you never went through OWL properly and added according to the carb ladder. If you eat treats becuase you are hungry or find it hard to stick to just eating 'low carb high fat' (salads? eggs?) I seriously suggest you start adding carbs. This will open up a realm of legal treats, even dark chocolate, as possibilities. That will make wine no problem at all - it will effect you less on a 60g diet then on a 30g diet.

And your plan to switch to low-fat low-carb on days of indulgence will not confer any benefit. You are assuming that days are discrete - That it is only eating sugar in combination with fat on the SAME DAY that is the problem? I mean, clearly if you eat fat 6 days a week and sugar one day a week that is no good either.

And, with something like a cream tart, that in of itself is high sugar high fat, lowering your fat for the rest of the day is not going to make much difference.

I think that if you are considering switching diets for a day to have a sugary treat you are still struggling with making a lifestyle change. I think the change is that you need to stop having cream tarts reguarly, rather then rearranging your diet to suit it. If you can't imagine giving up cream tarts I would realise that there are some serious food issues that still remain that need to be worked through. And if you never upped carbs and upped calories, I think that might help.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 18:16
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

mb99's suggestion makes a lot of sense. If you can substitute something else for the cream tart, you'll still be LCing! TaDa! Problem solved!

God, I'm good! (at stealing credit for smart people's suggestions).

Liz
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 18:22

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

what's your definition of high fat and high carb as well? if you're not gaining, you're good to go for your diet-- try exercising to loose 2 pounds.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 13:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Y'know, it's not a total wash if you have something high carb at dinner. CAD works that way, you just make sure you match up your high carb treat with veggies, protein and fat to slow absorption. The price you pay on CAD for that relative freedom is being strict during the rest of the day, which is pretty much what you're doing.

If you don't go overboard with it, it's a good way to manage occasional high carb treats.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 15:20

Plan: semi low carb
Stats: 103/1015/ Female 66.5
BF:
Progress:

Isn't is also important to give yourself some leeway when you reach your goal weight; say 2 or 3 pounds up or down? You can't expect your weight to stay the same all the time because its likely to flunctuate every day.
I would guess that keeping your higher carb products in the earlier part of the day would do more good than indulging late at night.
And you asked for suggestions about low carb, low fat products, here are some that I like;

egg beaters (1/4 or one egg : 1 carb 0gm fat)
cottage cheese (1/2 cup 4 carbs 1gm fat)
Tunafish or skinless chicken (0 carbs 1-2 gm fat)

in general too much protein might be harmful though. If you arent eating a lot of carbs or fat then you might be getting too much protein.

If you want a treat; something I love is to mix splenda with Friendship WHIPPED 1% cottage cheese.
Its whipped up so its light and fluffy, and the splenda makes it sweet so it takes really good. Like a dessert to me Plus 1/2 cups have 90 calories, 1 gram fat, 4 carbs, 4 sugar, 15 pro.