Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 13:56

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 290/267.5/187.5 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 22%
Question How is it possible to lose inches instead of pounds?

I can see and feel a difference in my clothes...others can too-but the scale only shows a 9lb loss so far...would 9lbs make that much of a difference? When did you notice a big difference??? 10, 20, 30 lbs?? How many lbs equal a pant size? I can't wait to get out of these 18's!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 13:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I don't know, this puzzles me too, but it really does happen. The first time I did Atkins, I couldn't tell a difference until I had lost almost 40 lbs, but this time, I've only lost 15 and my pants are loose everywhere, right out of the dryer.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 14:10

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I saw a picture once of five pounds of fat and five pounds of muscle. The muscle took up MUCH less room than the fat. I can understand how we lose inches when we are getting new muscle but I don't understand how one can lose inches and not pounds without exercise. But everyone swears it is so.

Orchid
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 14:19

Stats: 176/168/150 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

I really don't have an answer to this, because everyone's body is different. I know personally that 10lbs for me would drop me one pants size.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 14:27

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I have read a very good explanation of this somewhere in this forum. It's not because of muscle gained...not entirely anyway. You'd have to be doing a lot of working out for this to happen so quickly and even folks who don't excerise experience this phenomenon.

Dang, I wish I could remember wher4e I've seen it here.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 14:39
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here's that picture.

A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words

As far as I know, another reason is that you tend to lose a lot of water retention, which is really noticible, especially in the hands and face.

Keep up the good work!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 14:54
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

14 pounds for me was one pants size. Everyone is different.
I didn't notice a big difference till my jeans actually fell of my hips one day.

I got new one's and now they are getting big too.
I usually lose inches first then it'll show up in the scale after a few days.

Hang in there, this works.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 14:59

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidday
I saw a picture once of five pounds of fat and five pounds of muscle. The muscle took up MUCH less room than the fat. I can understand how we lose inches when we are getting new muscle but I don't understand how one can lose inches and not pounds without exercise. But everyone swears it is so.
I noticed after I started Atkins that I was stronger even before I started working out. I thought maybe I hadn't been eating enough protein before, and my poor muscles were starved for it.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 15:53

Stats: 210/181/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 58%

That's how it is for me too. The scale has not moved in a while, but my body keeps changing shape. I bought a pair of jeans sz.10 last week, thinking I'll be fine until summer. I was looking at myself today and they are actually loose. Funny!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 16:37

Stats: 144/117/115 Female 5' 3.5
BF:
Progress: 93%

Well, I have a similar question. I've stopped losing weight--I think my body is telling me I'm at a good healthy weight, even though my goal was originally lower. That's okay with me. I've also stopped losing inches, according to the tape measure. But here's the interesting thing: My clothes keep getting looser!
I do exercise aerobically about 4 times a week, and I've started Pilates just 2 weeks ago, and do that 4 times a week. I have a pair of jeans that are my real measuring stick--and they just keep getting looser and looser, right out of the dryer! I don't know how this is happening since the scale doesn't change, nor the tape measure, maybe I'm just not so lumpy in certain places anymore, so my clothes fit better? Anyone else experience this?
Peach
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

What is considered "typical" for each size is an increase of 10 lbs....but within manufacturers of clothes, sizes vary...so take it with a grain of salt.

The reason you can lose inches and not pounds is this:

muscle is more dense than fat thereby taking up less room. Muscle also weighs more than fat, so if you gained and equal amount of muscle weight wise as the lbs of fat you lost, your weight would remain the same.

As for the question in regards to exercise....well that depends on each person's previous physical activity. Some people may not normally move much and with a minimal amount of increase in activity, gain a substantial amount of muscle. They would lose inches quickly. Some people are normally very active (I don't mean literal exercises, but day to day activities) and it would take much more addtional movement to build up muscle. Remember, just because you feel you are "very busy" all day long, it doesn't mean that you are "physically" busy. Having a lot of paperwork to do, or other such sedentary activities isn't the same as getting up and moving alot. You would be suprised at how little you actually walk a day (unless you are setting aside a time to do it).

Lastly, a change in water retention would result only in weight fluctuation. You may lose water and feel less bloated, but you will also see a change in weight with that as water is quite heavy. Most people experience a big "whoosh" of weight loss at the beginning due to water loss. Sorry, but it doesn't mean you lost fat, and you won't be replacing water with muscle.

Hope this helped clear things up a bit....

also an increase in muscle will burn fat off you faster...another great reason to include some weight resistance type exercises in your diet.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 17:11
Registered Member

BF:

Peach:

pilates and yoga exercises are stregthening ones and will result in a small amount of muscle toning and gain. That is why your pants are getting looser. Look at Madonna....she's into yoga and very toned....she doesn't do major body building routines.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 23:24

Stats: 144/117/115 Female 5' 3.5
BF:
Progress: 93%

I try not to look at Madonna
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 02:05

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/126/120 Female 164
BF:
Progress: 82%

WHy not?

I think she is a great role model in some ways, in others not, but for a famous person with lots of cash she still has some values left - marriage, kids so forth, and she really has settled down a lot....I suppose any change from her earlier years is bound to be 'more settled down '
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 02:11
Registered Member

BF:

I personally don't like Madonna or her music. I didn't make note of her in my post to suggest anything about her career or personal life....I posted it due to her physique and the fact she was someone everyone would recognize.

WHile her body physically isn't quite the look I'm going for, I don't know of many celebrities that do yoga/pillates. I'm sure there's lots that do it....I just don't keep up with that sort of thing. I knew of Madonna and therefore was using her to make a point and answer your question. I guess that was a mistake. Just trying to help.