Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/170/170 Male 5'9" and some change
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up I can't believe it....I made it all winter without getting sick!!

In the past, I usually go through two or three cases of having major flu-like symptoms. In fact, last year I had walking pneumonia for what seemed to be the first two months of the year. I still didn't shake all the symptoms in my opinion until March. It was then that I began seeing a few Atkins articles and checking a few websites to get a better grasp of the concept. It took until May before I got the willpower to walk away from McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and TWO GUYS ITALIAN (they have a killer veal parmesean dinner there). I can only point to the change in diet as being the reason I have been so FLU-FREE this winter. Here in North Carolina, they had a major FLU season that resulted in lots of people having to get flu shots. The health department was so busy they ran out of shots to give the ever growing masses. I was already waiting for my turn at the FLU MONSTER but he never showed up this year. He had opportunity but he never trapped me this time. It was a really cold winter here for a change. The state had about 5 ice or snow storms (which is rare in North Carolina). I figure my body was more capable to build up my immune system and protect me. Even my own mother makes comments about how she can't believe I didn't get sick this year after what I went through last year. Whereas, she had been sick off and on all winter. Its amazing to me that I can't even remember one sore throat, sniffle, or irritating cough. Even if my credit is misplaced, I still have to think that it was the change in diet that contributed to my surviving this winter. The money I saved not having to see my doctor this winter will buy lots of chicken and veggies this spring. THANK YOU ALL!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220.0/220/120 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thats awesome, glad you didn't get sick!!!

Actually, I dodged the flu bug as well, and at least didn't get any sicker then my kids (usually i'm 10x worse..thanks kids!) soo maybe you're on to something

Raises a broccolli spear in cheers to being healthy!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:41
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Now that you mention it, I didn't get so much as the sniffles or a sinus infection this winter. I think this WOE has so many health benefits besides just losing weight...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 07:53
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I was much healthier this winter as well, only one big bout with the flu. My kids and DH, now that's a whole nother story.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:44
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Isn't it amazing? I have allways been the one to catch everyones colds. Now since I began this woe In Oct 6, 2003 I have only had 1 bad cold.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

Wonderful!!! This way of life has sooooo many good benefits for our bodies!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 09:28
blah

Stats: 238/225.2/199 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 33%

Not one cold or flu for me since Jan 2003 ,thats 15 months of feeling good. I think its the WOE.

Neen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 09:35

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Same here...I went all winter without so much as a case of the sniffles.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 09:37

Stats: 188/181/145 Female 5' 5
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 16%

Yep, same for me. Haven't been sick once since starting the new WOE. This flu season my DH was sick 3x's and son once. I kept saying to myself here we go again.....i was just waiting to get sick but it never happend. I can almost guarantee it's because of this new WOE! LOVE IT!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 10:39

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

Sorry for stealing your line Hilary, but "now that you mention it", I haven't had a serious asthma attack since starting this WOL beginning of January. I just had one minor 2 day incident. A major accomplishment since January (the COLD weather) is usually a really difficult time for me.

Yippee!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 11:00
christirox

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Wow...me too. I was expecting to get my yearly bout of bronchitis this winter but it never came. First time in 7 years that I've been cough/snot free! Woohooooo!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 12:05
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I sayed healthy for almost all the winter even though I nursed an SO and 2 kids through constant colds, flu bugs and so on. Last month though I ended up getting strep and finally was taken down I did passit on to almost everyone else though.

edit: I'd also point out that since january my diet has gone somewhat down hill. I am still eating low to moderate carb, but having more processed foods and not keeping track of carbs or cals. That could have something to do with it.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 12:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

i'm so glad for you! what a relief! i have been off the diet a couple of times, but for the most part ate atkins, and mom and i live in 1200sq feet of an apartment and she was sick all the time and i drank after her without realizing it several times and i never got sick. she had the flu BAD!!

isn't atkins a great way of life? i'm so glad you had a flu free winter!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 12:15

Plan: Low Calorie/Low Carb
Stats: 208/175/133 Female 62
BF:32%
Progress: 44%
Wink

One bout of flu and one bad cold but otherwise MUCH better than normal. I would expect to be ill most of the winter, dragging myself from one bug to the next. If someone sneezed near me that would be it. Now I seem far more immune and it is so great to be healthy

I also noticed that I got better much quicker and only had to spend one day in bed. Am usually much sicker than my DH and DS but was able to nurse them both rather than be the patient. Great feeling.

It would be wonderful if someone could do some scientific research on this because I think it's a major advantage of a low carb, high protein diet.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 14:59
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%

Me too! I had one bout with bronchial pneumonia and one cold this winter. For me, that's absolutely amazing! Every other winter, I've had a respiratory tract infection at least once a month.

I think it's the all the vitamins in addition to the WOE.