Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 08:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/161/155 Female 5'9"
BF:38.9%/23.4%/22%
Progress: 94%
Default High Cholesterol!!!!! WHAT?

I had some blood work done last week and my results came back Cholesterol-HIGH. LDL-147-HIGH. HDL-57, total-204. I was so disappointed Everything else was good (glucose, etc) but I thought surely I wouldn't be in the high category. I've been on this WOE since mid last year. Has anybody else gotten a similar result with their blood work, even after being on Atkins for quite a while?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 08:34

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

I have been delaying to get my second testing done for the very reason you are concerned
I don't want the doctor telling me that my diet is not reducing my levels and to get off of the diet
I will wait a bit longer
<<<chicken
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 08:40
Just keep swimming

Plan: General Low Carb/IF
Stats: 226/186.6/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:34/29/24
Progress: 60%

Actually, your results aren't so bad. My results were very similar awhile back, and my doctor was extremely pleased that my HDL was high (as is yours). Your total is just out of the normal range (<200). I think mine was 202. He said to keep up what I was doing! You probably need to discuss it with your doctor, though, if you already haven't. They nurse always calls me with my results, and all she does is relay information, so I get no feedback!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 08:48
Registered Member

Stats: 213/193/145 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 29%

Don't bet the barn on ONE test. There are so many variables....including calibration of the machine at the lab. Or just like weight, it can go up and down with no real reason....just the day! I wouldn't sweat it!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 08:55

Stats: 255/161/155 Female 5'9"
BF:38.9%/23.4%/22%
Progress: 94%

Thanks, I was so disappointed in myself. Then I started thinking, if it's still high and this WOE lowers it, what in the world was it at before. Also, I do smoke and I know that plays a bit factor in cholesterol.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 09:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

This is a very disturbing NYT article, suggesting docs are rethinking how important "good cholesterol" really is. We need to pay attention to this, I think.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/15/health/15HEAR.html?hp
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 09:36

Stats: 245/195/170 Male 5 10
BF:
Progress: 67%

I agree it is an important article and thanks for posting.

I suspsect this is part of the campaign by pharma to get Dr.s to prescribe statins to every human being on the planet. My concern about that is that they really don't understand jack about the risk of lowering cholesterol levels to that range.

This article is basically the view of one collection of Dr.s that HDL may not be all it is cracked up to be. This follows on release last week that guggested that patients with heart problems and LDL> 100 should be prescribed statins (and Lipitor in particular) as a matter of course. Cholesterol is need by every cell in the body, and the Dr.s don't understand the long term impact of sustained use of statins to lower LDL into such ranges.

The implication of this article, however, is that the ratios of total/HDL and LDL/HDL are not so important as they first were thought. That is contrary to DANDR, Protein Power, etc.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 09:37

Stats: 210/181/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 58%

I did mine last month and it came out to 201 Two years ago I was taking Zocor to lower it, now I think I'm doing pretty good without it!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 09:55

Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

Hi Jen7416---
I'm sorry about your test and I hope you're not too disappointed. When I started this way of eating/life I had naturally high cholesterol. I remember being somewhere around 270 (I'm only 24). Anyways, after about three months I got checked again and found out I was up to 300....I was shocked and upset, but my "good cholesterol" was up and my "bad" was down. I decided to wait another 3-4 months and try again.

I stuck to the program like crazy, but I'm not going to lie....I did consider the amount of fat and calories in certain foods. I gave up my beloved bacon and stuck to non-processed very lc foods. Looking back I realize I just started to eat "right." I eat tons of lean chicken, mix whole eggs with egg whites, but I still treat myself to a really good steak once a week. My cholesterol went down after about another 3 months of waiting to 230. Sticking with the program, but carefully really made all the difference.

Don't give up! Good Luck and definitely try again in another couple of months.
Jenn
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:00

Stats: 180/136/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 126%

yes, my cholesterol went from 171 (oct 02) to 207 this month, with a ldl of 144. I have to get re-tested in 3 months. I know 207 isn't that high, but for me it is. I'm 48 & my cholesterol has always been in the 160's. I don't really understand why b/c I really don't eat bacon or sausage. I probablly don't eat as much fat as I'm supposed to. I definatelly don't eat as many veggies and fruit as I used to. I leaned more to the vegetarian side with a little meat. I've also cut back on my red wine, b/c of the carbs, but I think I'm going to try having my nightly glass or 2 and see if that helps. I'm not that concerned, unless it's higher when I get re-tested.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:21

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Major risk factors that affect your LDL goal according to the following article:

http://www.healthnewsflash.com/cond...cholesterol.php

Cigarette smoking is among them.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 16:41

Stats: 180/136/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 126%

sydnarella, thanks for the article. According to my "Framingham Point Scores by Age Group" my 10 year risk is lesss that 1%, I scored a 7. Now if I can just show my doctor the risk chart, haha.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 16:49
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

if you are concerned about your cholesterol you may want to check out

http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 20:09

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Jen,

What were your numbers before you started LCing? Maybe they ARE down. Maybe they are the same. They really aren't that bad. My friends son had high cholesterol when he was a toddler. Just runs in the family. My mil eats saw dust, low fat everything and takes the meds and still has high LDL, total in the 300s. No heart problems though and she's 79.

The NY Times article was very interesting. Guess we'll have to wait awhile to see how much weight HDL is going to carry in the future.

Barb
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 23:22

Stats: 144/117/115 Female 5' 3.5
BF:
Progress: 93%

Jen,
Do you exercise? Vigorously? A dietician once told me that exercise is a bigger factor in controlling serum cholesterol levels than diet.
Peach