Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 11:04

Plan: my own lc
Stats: 211/155/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default sore knees question

Hi-I have been exercising slowly and working up to a 3.5-4 mph on the treadmill for 30 minutes five-six times per week. Question is that my knees hurt when I walk DOWN stairs.
Am I hurting my knees by exercising? Should I be doing more exercising?
Anything to make them stop hurting?
Worried I will be a candidate for knee replacement someday and would like to avoid that!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 11:29

Plan: low carb
Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Not a doctor, but your comment about pain going DOWN steps sounds like possible chondromalacia patellae. Try a google search, and you'll see potential reasons, and therapy for it. Your typical family doctor might not be as able to deal with it as well as a physical therapist.

If it is chondromalacia patellae, aspirin usually helps; strengthening the muscles above the knee are a big key.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 11:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

As I get older I seem to regularly experience new aches and pains . My criteria is simply whether it lasts very long. Most increases in exercise are, I feel acompanied by some discomfort as muscles grow and joints loosen up, etc. but if it continues I see my doctor. Gradual increases in exercise levles are probably best as well just like loosing weight is best achieved at a more gradual pace. We need to resist the instant gratification desire. After having lost about 45lbs I have lost most of the knee pain I suffered from. I also spend a good bit of time on the treadmill and walking...initially had all kinds of leg pains but they were all temporary. Good luck and hope this is of some small help!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 11:50
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Are the stairs you go down wood or concrete? I have no problem at all going up and down the stairs in my house (wood covered with carpet), but the stairs at my office are concrete covered with carpeting and if I go down them they really bother my knees. I go up the stairs (for exercise) and down the elevator -- I think I am the only person in the office who does that!

Going down stairs is a lot harder on your knees than going up stairs and concrete is the absolute worse.

Also, does the treadmill you are using have a padded deck? I paid extra for my treadmill to get a padded deck because it is easier on the knees.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 12:39
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Hi-I have been exercising slowly and working up to a 3.5-4 mph on the treadmill for 30 minutes five-six times per week. Question is that my knees hurt when I walk DOWN stairs.
Am I hurting my knees by exercising? Should I be doing more exercising?
Anything to make them stop hurting?
Worried I will be a candidate for knee replacement someday and would like to avoid that!
Thanks!

I have this too, it hurts to go down stairs and to squat. This is what I found, so with some exercise in that area we should be all better. Let me know what you think.
Patello-Femoral Syndrome

"knee-cap" pain
The patella, commonly referred to as the "knee cap", and its tendon transmit power from the quadriceps to the lower leg. Normally, as the knee bends, the patella slides smoothly along a groove in the thigh bone. However, under certain conditions the patella may experience forces which push it against the sides of the groove, causing pain. Additionally, inflammation and roughening of the smooth underside of the patella may occur. Collectively, this process is referred to as patellofemoral syndrome (PFS). Some of you may be familiar with the older term, chondromalacia patella.

PFS is one of the most common causes of knee pain in runners. The pain is usually located in the front part of the knee, but may be on the inside, outside, or vaguely located. The pain can feel either sharp or dull, and is often made worse by squatting or walking down stairs. Sometimes there is grinding or clicking. Predisposing factors include,

Training errors - excess hill work, stairs, or too much distance
Biomechanical abnormalities - overpronation, "knock knees", poor pelvic control
Muscle tightness - calf, hamstrings, iliotibial band, or vastus lateralis.
Muscle weakness - vastus medialis obliquus (VMO), gluteus
Treatment involves rest, ice, anti-inflammatory medications, and taping. Taping can supply immediate pain relief and helps correct abnormal positioning of the patella. It is continued until stretching and strengthening exercises re-balance the patella. Soft tissue therapy and stretching help loosen tight structures. The exact stretch depends upon which muscles are tight. Once pain has resolved then strengthening exercises can be started to prevent the condition from returning.

A frequent finding in runners with PFS is a weak VMO muscle. Isolating and strengthening this muscle will help keep the patella in its groove and there are several useful exercises that accomplish this. All should be done without pain.

Sit on the floor and place a rolled up towel under your knee. Rotate your leg so that your foot is pointing out at about 45 degrees. Place your fingers over the VMO muscle. Contract the VMO and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat for a set of 5. Practice contracting the VMO first, before the other quadriceps muscles. Your fingers can help give you feedback.
Step down one stair and back up again. Again, try to isolate the VMO. Repeat for a set of 15 - 20.

Squat, balancing on one leg. Go down until the knee is bent at 90 degrees, and then back up again. Repeat for a set of 15 - 20. This exercise strengthens the VMO and assists in pelvic stability. Last update 10/96 Here's the link
click here
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 13:50

Plan: my own lc
Stats: 211/155/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thank you all so much for the ideas. Having never been a fitness buff I had no idea where to even start looking.

Re stairs-it doesn't matter if they are carpeted or concrete-just walking down any stairs hurts. Doesnt matter what shoes I have on either.

Treadmill is padded deck. Really like it.

Unfortunately not temporary, has been getting steadily worse since last August.
Losing weight has not helped the knees. Everything else though

Just thought it was me getting older (39) but not willing to accept if I can do anything about the problem
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 13:58

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 238/212/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

All good points mentioned here. I am a physical therapist and knee pain can come from many things....walking is a great source of exercise; however it cannot replace the normal strength that we need to maintain stability of the knee joint.

I would suggest talking with your physician and requesting a script for PT. The therapist can aid in diagnosing the exact cause of the pain, educate you in the anatomy and causes and then prescribe a personal exercise program just for you. Good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 15:25
Registered Member

Stats: 290/225/240 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 130%

I have Patello-Femoral Syndrome and have had the torn cartilage in both knees surgically fixed in the last 3 years. I use and Elliptical Trainer every other day with no problems. It is very low impact and a good source of cardio. The elliptical would also help strengthen the muscles that are failing and causing your knee pain.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 11:06
weighing in....

Plan: BFL
Stats: 245/225/200 Female 5' 10"
BF:Why, yes, yes I do
Progress: 44%

I've experienced the same type of knee pain since I was in my teens when I grew six inches in six months. OUCH!

I recently went to the Doc for just the same type of pain that you've been describing. There are many different ways to go at it... Physical Therapy is one option. I also recieved anti-inflamatories for when the knee pain flares up. I'd say your best bet is to talk to your Doc and go from there. You may need a combination of everything to get it right.

Kiks
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 23:56

Plan: Atkins and lo cal
Stats: 238/158/145 Female 60 inches
BF:?/35%/25%
Progress: 86%
Default Good Advice

Yes - I had the same exact same syndrom. Physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around the knee worked for me. I use the elliptical machine 45 minutes everyday with no knee pain. Walking outside, on the treadmill and cycling all make it hurt. Definitely get a referral to PT - that's what helped me the most.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-23-04, 09:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

I feel your pain, I just had my acl repairded, and they took the new acl from my petella tendon. I think you should go to the doctor and get it checked out. Its probably nothing serious, but you dont want to mess around with knees.