Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 19:43
Ohmahgawd! Really??

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 314/306.5/300 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Protein Percentage too high?

Hey guys, maybe you can help me with something. I know im supposed to be following 5% carbs, 25% protein, and 60-70% fat, but for the last 3 days, my protien has been over 30%, and one of those days it was 39!!! Is this a bad thing? I've been just that hungry, and have really been watching my carbs. I know my carbs have been good last 3 days, but im worried about the amount of protein. Will it slack off after a bit, or am I screwed?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 20:44
Registered Member

Stats: 280/280/170 Male 5'-10
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Dreamnfae !

Technically yes we are supposed to keep our fat content at around 73% but I personally have had no problems eating more protein. I drink one protein shake a day which contains 90g of protein from Whey Isolates. My numbers are 56% fat 41% protein and 3% carbs. I have been steadily losing an average of 3lbs a week.
According to GNC and others we are supposed to consume up to 1gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. Even more if you work out strenously.
So as long as your losing inches, weight and feeling great no worries !!

Dusty
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 21:16

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Maybe try adding more fat to your protein (like dipping pieces of chicken breast in mayo) or eating fattier cuts of meat?? That will probably help readjust your ratios.

You're doing great--I read your thread about fitting into your jeans-- WOO HOO!!!!

Nicole
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 21:40
Ohmahgawd! Really??

Stats: 314/306.5/300 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Fattier cuts of meat? I tried that last night...sorry, was like eating snot. ewwww. Just couldn't do it.

Sorry about being so graphic, but it was really nasty to me. I never have been much of a fat eater, except for the butter, lately, cant seem to get through a day with out a big ol' bite of it! Will probably try the mayo idea, though.

As far as losing weight, the last 2 weeks there hasn't been much of that, but I have lost inches, so I'm still happy! Thanks for the great info, Dusty and Nicole!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 03:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

dangit I had a nice post, hit the wrong button and it's gone

Anyway, I don't eat much beef or red meat either, mostly because of the cost. Therefor my protien sources are mainly chicken and eggs. I will get salmon when I can afford it and it's loaded with healthy fats. I found that oils cna really help up my fat intake. Mayo can be good, mixed with a little spinach that has the moisture pressed out, then used as a omlette filler. I put extra light (can't stand extra vergin) olive oil on salads, and will suppliment with coconut oil as I love the taste.

As for too much protien, 30% doesn't tell anything. Someone could be having 800 cals a day (and that cna happen on this WOE) while having thier protien at 30% and be way too low. Basiclaly you need enough protien to support your lean mass. Since you know your body fat, figure out your lean pounds. Then have 0.6-1g of protien per lean pound. The range is based on activity level, plus sweating numbers cna be a pain, so anything within that range most days would be good.

Quote:
As far as losing weight, the last 2 weeks there hasn't been much of that, but I have lost inches,

That means you are building lean mass while losing fat. A higher lean mass means higher metabolism, better circulation and a variety of other benifits. Remember it's not always about losing weight, but losing fat. Since you have been losing inches, it may be time to get your body fat tested again. www.mybodycomp.com can be a great site to help with that.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 11:08

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

i also pretty much stick with eggs, chicken, turkey, and fish--it helps to fry the meat in lots of butter or oils along with sauteed vegetables--increases fat percentage right away =)

I also consume waaayyy to much protein--much more than the one times my body weight. I actually ate 40-50% protein all through induction and lost weight just fine. Maybe it's just me though--after years of being a vegetarian, i figure this much protein is ok for a bit and i'm trying to build muscle right now so i'm gonna stick with it. But in the future, i do plan to try to reduce protein percents