Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 14:35

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

If you read on the label of many atkins products it states NOT RECOMMENDED DURING INDUCTION PHASE
Blueflyer I am with you on the ketones
I check my ketones almost everytime I go to the bathroom and if I am not in my deep purple I start to evaluate what I ate
KETONES rock
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 15:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/119/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 115%

Cool! I'll have to try making my own bleu cheese dressing!

As for the shakes, according to the Atkins site shopping area where you can buy the shakes, it says that they can be used during all steps of Atkins.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 15:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/194.5/140 Female 5' 9
BF:too high i am sure
Progress: 50%

hugggs twilight, you are doing great =), the shakes and bars stall me instantly so i don't use them, but my husband does and has no problem. i say make the blue cheese dressing yourself, and try and stay away from processed anythings hehehe. cream cheese rolled up in roast beef is a great snack and will get you through. i also add mayo and butter to things to increase my fat. i used to have fybromialga also and i'd like to tell you, it is completely gone now =) so keep eating this way and you will be pain free with a spring in your step =) good luck and hugs to ya
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 22:05
Bad Girl Queen

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 388/388/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I have to agree with the Atkins shakes seem to fill you up (but I never used them with meals only as a meal). And the chocolate isn't that bad! I don't use the shakes as much as the bars, but neither have detered me from weight loss. (especially the first time I did atkins I lost 30 lbs. and I used the bars as a mid morning snack every morning) I don't use them as often as I used to but they didn't give me a problem. Now I have a friend that can't touch any of the LC sweets because they make her want to eat the "real" sweets. But they curb my sweet tooth. And no funky side affects either.

BTW welcome to LCF and best of luck!!!
~Becky
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 22:30
Registered Member

BF:

Thank You MissRed and Page and everyone! I feel that there is no going back for me because the difference I've felt this week has been incredible! I have no cravings for sweets or breads and that in itself is a huge step! Plus, the energy is great. Page, you know how it felt to be completely drained much of the time. Now to be able to wake up at 5:30 in the morning ready to go...wow, it's wonderful! And even energy to exercise!

Today I did well with food, I think. I wasn't hungry at all between meals and snacks. I think I did go a little overboard with the veggies because after I subtracted my fibers, I was over 20 carb grams by a little bit. I really think that adding more fat has helped..so thanks SO much for all the input! I wouldn't have figured it out by myself
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 23:19
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

Twilight,
Yes tomatoes and onions are on the acceptable list, but, they both are high carb items. That's because they have more sugars in them than something like cauliflower. I pointed out the chicken from what you posted. Like you said, it wasn't fried. Note, my point is that you were getting sugar into your system - which makes you hungry. Cut out all sugar and you won't be hungry. Trust me. I learned this very thing the hard way.

Buy up meats and chicken parts that you like when they're on sale. Oven roast, use your crock pot, package and freeze dinners for your use during the week when you don't have time.

Have a chicken leg or two after you've eaten breakfast as your snack! Roast a turkey breast, slice it up. Slather a piece of it with mayo and a slice of cheese for your afternoon snack.

This diet is really simple in that you get to eat lots of fat, moderate protein, and few carbs.
You're doing it! And getting rid of a couple of little items will teak it even more.

Do you have Atkins' "New Diet Revolution"?
Here is his Blue Cheese Dressing recipe if you don't have the book.

4oz blue cheese (i.e. Stilton, Gorgonzola, Danish blue, Roquefort, Magtag)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste.

In a medium bowl, mash cheese. Mix in mayo, sour cream, vinegar and mustard until well combined (doesn't have to be smooth).
Whisk in olive oil until blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

2 tablespoons = 2 digestible carbs

protein 3 grams, fat 20 grams; calories 200.

This is a excellent dressing. I've made it several times now and it is different with what cheese you use.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 06:25
Registered Member

Stats: 226/138/126 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 88%

Funny thing about reading DANDR, you never get it all the first time! I re-read parts of the book on Induction lastnight, and the sample menu included chocolate and vanilla shakes as a snack. It also offered Zucchini Nut Bread as a breakfast option! How did I miss that?

Just thought I'd offer that bit of information. I think that the prepared foods often hinder some rather than help because they start eating less whole foods. Used in moderation, prepared foods probably help keep some people on track.

HTH!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 06:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

drink more water, with your meals.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 14:16
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the recipe..I will definately try that!

It seems NOW that my current potential problem is the intake of *too many calories*!!! ARgh!!! Before I started this thread, the cal count for the days before was 1635 and 1390. (I had just started my fit day account. Since then I've been taking in more fat to ease the constant hunger and my cal count is way up there!...2184, 2797, 2316...and today it already is at 1818 - it's mid afternoon and I haven't had any afternoon snacks and will need to eat dinner tonight, of course. I'm only suppose to weigh in of Fridays, but the worry over fat calories caused me to take a peek today. I've gone from 157 to 160 Grrrrr!! Will I ever get this right???? This morning, even after 2 boiled eggs and cream cheese, and then 3 eggs with a piece of melted cheddar & 4 thin slices of bacon, I was hungry again. So later for a snack I did have an ounce of string cheese and later a shake. And I was *still* in the pit of my stomach hungry. For lunch I had a cup and half of pulled pork and two cups of greens with red wine viniagraitte. That finally satisified me but my calorie intake is now over 1800. So now is it time to cut back on the fat?
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 14:27
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'd say bulk up with veggies! You'd be suprised how easy it is to keep everything else in check if you have a good amount of high-fiber veggies with your protein/fat.

Add some veggies to the eggs for an omelette. It really stays with you longer, or have your protein over a bed of greens. It'll help with feeling full AND help things stick with you a lot longer.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 15:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

When did you take a peek at your weight? If it wasn;t first thing in the morning, then you are also weighing all the water you have drunk, all the food you've eaten and so on.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 12:40
Registered Member

BF:

When I peeked at my weight, it was in the middle of the day, so that was part of the reason for the increase. But to be sure I checked this morning and I had in fact gained a pound or two. So I've decided to not go too crazy with the fat calories. This morning instead of bacon, I added cut up chicken breast to my eggs along with some green pepper. I used a tablespoon of butter to scramble the eggs.

I've notice that for some odd reason I'm less hungry when I'm exercising or I'm very busy with housework. It seems it's when I'm vegging out on the sofa that I notice the hunger. Strange.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 23:10
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

That's why you've been hungry! NOT ENOUGH FOOD INTAKE per day, plus the hidden sugars.

During INDUCT, you don't worry about caloric intake, you worry about HIGH FAT, Medium Protein and LOW CARBS at 20. As you move into OWL (ongoing wt loss stage 2) then you start to decrease fat, increase carbs at a gradual increase of no more than 5 carb a day per week until you find your CCL (Critical Carb Level).