Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 20:24

Plan: general
Stats: 210/157/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:alot
Progress: 59%
Angry LC foods with high carb condiments??

I went to village inn today for lunch and ordered the double burger dinner. It came with a salad and cottage cheese. Suppose to have 9 carbs - I think. Well when I started eating it I noticed they put 1000 island dressing in the middle and brought regular ketchup. The choices for salad dressing were all high carb - I though ranch would work but it's house ranch so it's probably loaded with carbs - I just got the blue cheese - figured that would be the safest!
It's just funny how a lc meal can turn into high carb just with condiments!! They should offer some lc ones. Next time I'm going with a plain burger and maybe bring my own dressing!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 20:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%

Unfortunately they are probably aiming thier " LC meal " towards the LC wannabees! The people that don't really know what LC is will buy it because they think they are eating low carb, same as everybody buying all the crap in the supermarket! They don't really know what its about, so they just buy and eat what they hear.............. I was at GNC today, and I had to wait 15 minutes to make a purchase, WHY? Because there was a lady in there that was "kinda doing Atkins" and wanted to get some supplements, she would have saved herself a whole LOT of money had I opened my mouth, but the girl working there seemed very nice and I figured she needed the cash...Sooooooooo , $170.00 later this lady walked out with a very small bag of protein pills, protein shakes, and protein bars that she would never need! It was funny to me when the customer asked if she could mix the shakes with milk, the nice girl said "YES"! I just wanted to tell her to READ THE BOOK!!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 21:00

Plan: general
Stats: 210/157/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:alot
Progress: 59%

"low carb wannabees"

LOL!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 23:25

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I ate at Village Inn yesterday and was shocked that they had a low-carb menu. My meal was as described (also the Ultimate Protein Double Burger, two 1/3 lb patties with cheese), but as noted in the footnote at the bottom of the menu "Nutritional information excludes dressing on all salads". I got the blue cheese as I felt it would be the lowest carbs. I only use mustard on my burgers, so I didn't request any ketchup.

I thought that for a place known for its high carb meals they did a very good job on the low-carb selections. There were 19 different low-carb meals listed, although 11 were breakfast egg dishes.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 07:39
Registered Member

Plan: HFH
Stats: 297/291/200 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I bring me own ketchup or BBQ sauce when I eat out. I just stick the bottle in my purse.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 08:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

WOW, that amazes me that someone at a HEALTH food place, would not be informed on the product they were selling...that poor woman! Mind you, she should have read the book as well! It is amazing how people are jumping on the low-carb bandwagon without even thinking of doing some research!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 19:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I don't use Dressings on Salad, only Oil and Vinegar...But, even that can be a problem [except at Subway where I know its a straight mix of EV Olive Oil, Canola Oil and Red Wine Vinegar.] I happened to spy a bottle of the salad oil as I passed the kitchen at one restraunt I eat at. I would've never suspected the "liquid" salad oil was actually made of Partially Hydrogenated and Fractionated (Winterized) Soybean Oils and kept liquid with an added chemical. Needless to say, I now carry a small container of Olive and Coconut Oils and Red Wine Vinegar.

Last edited by cc48510 : Sun, Mar-14-04 at 23:30.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 19:56

Plan: new revolution
Stats: 251/214/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 35%

I was at another chat site before I came to this one and to my surprise most the people there had not even read an atkins book or even knew about ketosis and ketones I informed the administrator that I felt they were pushing people in the wrong direction and misleading them
Even at the beginning of the Atkins book it says READ IT ALL
Oh well I really feel for Atkins. These people that are ill informed are the ones that later will say that ATKINS did not work for them
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 07:31

Plan: atkins, paleo, vlc
Stats: 186/186/154 Female 60inches
BF:o/m/g
Progress: 0%
Default uninformed dieters

You know, I am so glad I started on Atkins so long (well, nearly 3 years) ago: there was no info about except the books, and there was very little lc fakefood, certainly not in England. Still isn't, to tell the truth.
So I had no choice except to do it properly and I am SO grateful for that.
I feel sorry for people starting now because there is so much BS about and ever more junk food calling itself lc, that it is getting easier and easier to think you're doing lc but be totally stuffing it up.
And of course, these people will then turn around and say it doesn't work.
And in a few more years then maybe the journos will actually get around to reading the books, and start writing articles about the proper way to do lc - as if they'd discovered it themselves.
Only recently a newspaper here was trumpeting about the Banting diet as if they'd discovered it themselves.

Zan
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 08:07

BF:

so very true
when I asked about the diet from a friend all she would say is you HAVE to read the book thats the only way
I am at an advantage I never was one for junk foods anyways
So I lucked out there
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 08:28

Plan: Atkins/PP mix??
Stats: 255/247/165 Male 71.5 inches
BF:35%/33%/15%
Progress: 9%

I usually just ask for MAYO when out... Or a Vinegrette type dressing with Salad..

I do occasionally use HC condiments even at home but try to do so sparingly.. I'm a ketchup addict which I've cut down considerably!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 08:29

BF:

I found that the lc ketchup is really good
I was impressed
makes me think of a new thread
LOW CARB RELISH?
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 08:37
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Twinky, In the U.S. now we have Splenda sweetened relish, made by Mt. Olive pickle company on the corner of Cucumber and Vine streets in Mt. Olive, NC.

And yes, there is/was a thread about it on this board some time ago!

Kay
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 14:22

Stats: 325/325/190 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I ate the Village inn yesterday, I got the ranch, doh! I forgot it might be carby, oh well. Funny that the waitress not only asked if I wanted fries, but also offered to server me a PIE! hehe, I had to giggle.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 14:51

Stats: 175/138/135 Female 5'7"
BF:I did it!
Progress: 93%

I went out to eat with some friends of some friends the other night. Out of six of us there, four of us were "doing Atkins," ...or so I thought. I ordered an omelet with water to drink--one man had pancakes, the other had eggs with hashbrowns and the third had fish with some kind of biscuit and gravy and a regular Coke. And they're going to wonder why it doesn't work!!!!!