Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 20:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/127/115
BF:
Progress:
Question blood type diet/vegetarian advice

Hi

I recently heard about the blood type diet (Eat Right for your Blood Type).

Does anyone know good website info on it? I am type A I think, which is supposed to be high carb (eek!) and vegetarian. What are peoples thoughts on the blood type diets? The one other time I lost a lot of weight (12 lbs over one summer), I was eating very little meat, and a lot of veggies and fruit. (I was also hungry sometimes, I admit)

Also, I am kind of new here. Are there any old threads or websites about vegetarian Atkins/PP diets? I was a veg for a long time and was happy that way, but I am not opposed to eating meat anymore. But since I started Atkins I eat SO much meat. I would maybe like to cut down on the amount of meat I eat. Any advice? (dairy is not the best thing for me either..I guess I better break out the tofu)

Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-01, 02:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Can't recall if this has been discussed much, since we're all such meatatarians.

Read the Soya Zone by Barry Sears and use Google to search for Eat Right for Your Type. They have an official website.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 20:34
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Thumbs down Your Blood Type... and the Big Hype

Quote:
Originally posted by hockeygirl
I recently heard about the blood type diet . . . Does anyone know good website info on it?

Read: EAT RIGHT 4 YOUR TYPE HYPE

(Anyone here interested in "Eat Right 4 Your Type" should know that there is not have an ounce of scientific credibility to it. First, it is scientifically demonstrated that all blood types existed in the earliest of times, so the whole theory about one blood type emerging after another is just plain FALSE. Second, although the idea that food lectins go after certain organs may make sense to the unscientifically trained but it would only happen if you injected food directly into your veins which, to the best of my knowledge, is definitely not a common way to do things, to say the least... In fact, the digestive organs do an excellent job keeping the food from directly entering the blood stream Only what it has extracted after processing food intake makes it there, and by then everything has been broken down. The only way food lectins could enter your blood stream uninvited is if you had leaky gut syndrome, where as the name suggests, your guts fail at maintaining a proper barrier. But in that case, what you should do is run to your doctor and not cater to the disease with such a diet. In short, none of the scientific markers necessary to validate a scientific theory is there in ER4YT.
PS: I am type A and did exceedingly well on this diet.)

Quote:
dairy is not the best thing for me either..I guess I better break out the tofu

Read: SOY ALERT!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 21:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/127/115
BF:
Progress:

BillT! Thanks for te response. I read about the eat right for your type hype stuff. Interesting commentary.

The Soy stuff was interesting...I still want to get more info on Soy, because I am a bit lactose intolerant and vegetarians shout from the rooftops how wonderful soy is. If anyone else has credible info good/bad on soy products, I would love to know about it.

-hockey
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 00:43
Registered Member

BF:
Lightbulb Intolerance

Quote:
I am a bit lactose intolerant and vegetarians shout from the rooftops how wonderful soy is.
They do because it allows them to fulfill their political agenda by claiming you don't have to eat meat thanks to soy but some scientists have protested soy approval. It also can cause serious allergies. A famous site opposing soy is
Soy Online Service. Mercola has some stuff too but, as usual, it's largely copied from elsewhere.
A for the lactose intolerance, it often is caused by the homogenized, low-fat, pasteurized commercial milk. I invite you to take a look at the Campaign for Real Milk site.

Otherwise, you always have the alternative of almond milk which I invite all low-carbers to give a try. Almond milk is the low-carber's milk of choice, the ultimate centuries time proven "milk" of choice that can survive without refrigeration: it was very popular in Europe in the Middle Ages at times when cow's milk could spoil very easily. It's not poison that soy "milk" probably is.

To make your own almond milk:
Ingredients: 1 cup ground almonds, 2 cups boiling water.
Preparation: Combine almonds and water. Steep for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sieve the to remove coarse grains OR (preferably) blend mixture in electric blender until grains are absorbed.
Yields: 2 cups almond milk.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 04:19

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:

I tried this diet some months ago - my friend is Group 0 and devoted to it -- not for weight loss, but health, she believes it is right for her. ( regarding arthritis, etc.) As an 0, she has increased meats, etc and as a vegetarian she has found this a challenge. But ( not surprisingly to me) she feels better for it.
On the other hand, I as a group A, should eat .... wait for it......high carb, mostly vegetarian, lotsa pulses, rice etc. I managed 2 weeks and felt half dead. seriously, not well at all. Reading the book was interesting though and we all have to find our own way. There is a website you can find through Google.
My opinion ? Possibly ok if youre group 0 and therefore very meat orientated. as a group A...... well.......forget it !!!! I could not possibly try it again.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 10:10
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up This proves low-carb right

Quote:
Originally posted by plum
I as a group A, should eat .... wait for it......high carb, mostly vegetarian, lotsa pulses, rice etc. I managed 2 weeks and felt half dead. seriously, not well at all. . . . My opinion ? Possibly ok if youre group 0 and therefore very meat orientated. as a group A...... well.......forget it !!!! I could not possibly try it again.
Exactly my opinion. If you cruise The Blood Type Diet Forum, the regular pattern you will observe is O people boasting success and A people complaining about problems.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 10:44
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb interesting

It's well-known that low-calorie, low-fat, low-meat diets fail to either successfully reduce weight -- or to maintain any loss that is achieved -- for 95% of the population.

Yet, 41% of the North American population is Type A and supposedly should be eating in this unsuccessful manner.

(For the record, O is the most common blood type at 45%, B is 10% and AB is 4%).

My blood-type is A, and I followed a vegetarian diet for almost a year, with 6 months of that totally vegan. I became ill, developed all kind of rashes, GI distress and weight gain. My health has improved in the 2 yrs since I've been eating mostly meats and vegetables, and avoiding grains like the plague!

Doreen