Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 20:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/178/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Unhappy

I'm deleting my post for personal reasons. Thank you all soo very much for your support!!!

Brandee ~

Last edited by dalejr8fan : Thu, Mar-11-04 at 22:17.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 20:22

Stats: 279/247/180 Female 5' 4"
BF:Way/too/much
Progress: 32%

You are bound to run into people who don't agree with this WOE and probably never will. Once you start losing weight, inches and being so energetic and happy it will be harder for her to argue about it. My MIL thought you couldn't eat ANY veggies, that you had to eat all meat and fat blah, blah, blah. She is finally realizing how healthy I am eating. Don't let anyone get you down!!!! If you're feeling bad or anything, come here!!!!

Alli
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 20:57
Living Healthy

Stats: 281.4/239.4/145 Female 5'4"
BF:imp/rov/ing
Progress: 31%

Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree--then not discuss it anymore for awhile. Once she sees you succeeding--GAINING health instead of destroying it--she'll probably come around.

AND, if there's a family gathering involving food--bring your own selection of things you can eat.

I'm glad you've got other family support, that will help. And like Alli said, there's always support here.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 21:08
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%
Talking Dont Worry!

Hey there Brandee,

You will always run into people that wont support you but when they see the change in you dont worry they will eventually support you. My Mom told me Oh im gonna get high BP or have heart problems and you know what she is on her 3rd week of Atkins. I started Atkins around 2002 on and off. I restarted again on Jan 4th. I'm happy to say that I'm down about 15lbs al together less 45lbs since 2002. I realize that Its bad to fall off the wagon but this time I'm in it for the long haul after all you and I have over 42,000 members hear to support us and give us advice.

Hang In,
Dewi
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 21:10

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

It seems that it is only the word "Atkins" that sets people off. It will take some more time before the record is set straight and Dr. A's way of eating is accepted as valid and proven to be safe for weight loss AND improving your health.

In the meantime, how about telling your mother that you are doing "mostly what Oprah does: cutting out white food (potatoes, flour, rice, bread, sugar). Somehow whatever Oprah does is SO much more socially acceptable. Maybe because she's obviously still healthy. Little do they realize that what she eatsi IS Atkins On-going Weight Loss and Pre-Maintenance levels. Just as Protein Power Plan & South Beach are almost exactly Atkins post-Induction levels.

When you have lost the weight, have great cholesterol and triglyceride numbers, you can tell her that it was "Atkins all the way".
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 21:15

Stats: 192.5/169/145 Female 5'9''
BF:
Progress: 49%
Talking

Hi, mums can be difficult........but would it be worth you going to see her on your own, when she is on her own ( that way there is no loosing face over her previous words)... and very quietly trying to explain how YOU feel about your new WOL, and why you feel you need to do it... and also how this WOL is rapidly gaining acceptance etc etc. Mums feel the need to protect their young, you are probably the same with you own children, and if all your Mum has heard is the "bad press" for this WOL, she's just trying to protect you! BUT...YOU and WE ( being all of us on this forum) know better eh? It can take quite a bit of convincing to convert some one, especially with all the low fat crap thats around, we've all been brainwashed! Sorry, starting to ramble now, so I reckon if talking to your mum doesn't work, just keep up with the WOL, and when she sees the difference in you ( which she will), surely she will support you and be happy for you.....Meanwhile, hang in there, don't let it get you down, your own health and happiness are too important!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 21:40
Registered Member

Plan: Cyclical CHO
Stats: 175/180/220 Male 6'2
BF:12-15
Progress: 11%

The way I would deal with it is probably not the best. It takes a large part of the emotion behind it all out of the picture. But I don't think the onus is really on you at all. It is your body and your life.

Explain using logical scientific reasoning why you are following the diet. You don't even need to mention the word Atkins if you don't want to. I would put the onus back on her and have her explain from a biochemical standpoint how managing insulin levels over time, using dietary fat as a lipolytic aid, getting all kinds of beneficial micronutrients from meat/veggies etc is detrimental. If she can't explain scientifically why it is bad, then where is her argument? In biased studies? In the media bs? I mean come on.

She is using an emotional argument and falling back on ideas of propoganda etc. Take that out of the picture and see if here logical reasoning holds up scientifically!

That is what I would do. Disassociate the argument from Atkins and focus on science. Take the media out of it.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 21:43

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Just do the diet and don't include family in it until you have seen positive results. In the mean-time, say that you are restricting processed sugar and flour. Tell your family that you are sticking to eating meats and veggies ( play down the meat ). Have bloodwork done on a regular basis and when you see it improve present the results, along with the weightloss, to your family. Then declare that you are so glad that yoiu participated in the Atkins diet. Tell them how great you feel. SHow them that there are other doctors who recommend doing this so that family knows that Dr. A was and is not alone in the lc medical world.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 22:16
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Sometimes you just have to get the courage up to tell them off. I don't mean go nuts, just in a very polite and firm way explain to them that it is your decision and while they may not agree with it, you would appriciate thier support and respect.

I kind of gave up on fighting with family a few years ago. I found it took too much energy and was damaging to me. When my son was born I told my mother point blank if she couldn't be posative and supportive of him in everyway, she flat out wouldn't be around him because I refused to have him subjected to that enviroment. Since then she has made a couple of comments here and there about things ( my weight, my diet, my decision in certain matters and so on). There were times when I would discuss it, but if I felt she was just being negative I would tell her so flat out. It sounds bitchy I know, but it has improved the relationship I have with her a ton. Now we can get together and talk, and enjoy the kids together. I think some people really think they are doing something out of love, and don't relize they are being toxic. Telling them how you feel sometimes wakes them up. Other people just are negative and the more you succeed the worse they get. With those people all you can do is try to distance yourself for your own sake if you can.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 22:25
Registered Member

Plan: Cyclical CHO
Stats: 175/180/220 Male 6'2
BF:12-15
Progress: 11%

To go along with that line of reasoning, of standing up for your beliefs that is....

Get the point across that what works for one person (your mom for example) may not work for you at all. It is very tough to argue with the law of individual differences.

It is not necessary for you to ascribe to her belief system or for you to rationalize things as she does. Listening to her, respecting her advise and goodwishes is fantastic.

But that doesn't mean that you should take action based on her every piece of advice. Your relationship could improve markedly once she realized you plan to live your own life and reason everything you do out for yourself. Just don't approach it sounding hostile or disrespectful. She doesn't get very far with you when she does that, no?