Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Which diet do you follow?
Atkins 211 58.94%
Body Opus/CKD 2 0.56%
Carbohydrate Addicts 25 6.98%
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution 4 1.12%
Insulin Control Diet 1 0.28%
Ketogenic diet 2 0.56%
Mayo diet 1 0.28%
Montignac 1 0.28%
Neanderthin 0 0%
Paleolithic Diet 1 0.28%
Protein Power 28 7.82%
Schwarzbein Principle 13 3.63%
Sommersizing 2 0.56%
Stillman Diet 3 0.84%
Sugar Busters 5 1.40%
The Zone 6 1.68%
Non low-carb diets 1 0.28%
Other (own combination) 52 14.53%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

#31   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 10:02
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 321.5/205.5/175
BF:
Progress: 79%
Thumbs up And even more agreement

I also agree with Robin. I have been on the Atkins diet for over eight months with no negative and many positive results. Take into account that I also have never left the induction phase - which medical professionals and even some Atkins fans say is certain to cause issues!

The Good Dr. advises in his FAQ's that one can stay on the induction diet as long as they feel fulfilled and happy, and I'm still here.

A lot of the problems some people have on Atkins, I believe, are preceeding difficulties brought into sharp focus by the way this diet hones down health issues and brings things into focus. . .

But heck, that's my opinion.

Mike
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 14:40
Registered Member

Stats: 203/203/140
BF:
Progress: 0%

Wendy, you are getting great advice here. Dr. Atkins advises just to at least try it for the first 2 weeks, because that is the strictest time of his plan and if you decide it's not for you, then try something else.

As far as checking with you doctor goes----DEFINITELY!!!! The reason I say that is because I was going to my doctor strictly because of my weight problem and she wanted to eliminate different things I could have been going through that was causing me to put weight on, also check my health at the same time. In the end, she gave me her book and said, "look, you're just one of those people who cannot have carbohydrates without suffering the consequences and you need to try this diet for 1 month, because I think it will do you wonders." She was all for it and I'm glad she did suggest it, b/c I would have never even thought about it otherwise. I know there are a lot of doctors that are very much against this WOE, but like the previous thread, there has been nothing negative about it that has been reported as a fact.

I love it, for many reasons. I think you should try it just to see that it makes you feel better all around. It's a great concept. Now days everything off of the shelf is processed and packed with all of these chemicals, I personally think that's why so many more people are getting sick these days.....just my opinion....

Well, it definitely can't hurt you for trying it, so give it a shot. You can always turn to us for reassurance.

Good luck and let us know how you do.

Rachelle
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 14:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Oh my Chelle,

this is a very..very old posting...but fun to read now that you have brought it back..LOL

I love this woe. At first I was a bit hesitant like many others. I got out of cooking and with such a busy schedule, I wondered if I could keep up with it.

I keep things really simple, sometimes boring, but simple never the less.

Thanks for your concern though, brought a smile to my face.

I wish you much success on your woe
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 14:49
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Wendy, Silly me.... I just looked at the date of that thread....You've been at this for some time now.

So, I guess instead of my previous response, I should be asking you how do/did you like it??? Are you still on it?

Chelle
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 14:55

BF:

LOL..silly no, maybe excited though....hahahaha

I'm still on the Atkins, and keep on the induction. I have fallen a couple of times, although I don't look at it as fallen, more so saying, I can have this little bit of.......Not going to kill me, nor bring all the weight back. Yet at the same time, one must not get in the habit of it

I will be following this woe all my life. I can't imagine going back to all those carbs and feeling and looking like crap.

So yeah, I am doing it, and loving it
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 15:31
Registered Member

BF:

Hey, you answered one of my questions....So, how long have you been on induction????

My last day should be this Sunday, but I want to stay on a bit longer...

I guess it would be ok. I know the book says you can, so I'll see. I'm very content with this many carbs. I'm sure in the near future, I will WANT more, but not NEED them....

Chelle
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 17:36

BF:

Personally, if you want to lose your weight, stay on the induction as long as you can, if you can handle the limited foods. It really isn't that difficult, as you say cause your not that hungry.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 23:09

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

Atkins is the only WOE that keeps my cravings under control. THe cravings are so intense that the only other thing I've had like it was my addition to nicotine. Boy am I glad that Atkins works for me! and that all of you are so supportive here! It makes such a difference to have a group of people willing to share and encourage each other
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 03:27

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Wow! How interesting.

This has been most interesting reading. Wendy you were already a great Atkins advocate when I came to this forum and seeing how you started and developed has been a real eye-opener ... Transformation indeed - a true metamorphosis.
Take care.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 08:11

BF:

Quote:
Boy am I glad that Atkins works for me! and that all of you are so supportive here! It makes such a difference to have a group of people willing to share and encourage each other

You are so right. Prior to this woe, support was nothing like this. The other plans I tried, I would lose 12 lbs and then lose interest due to starvation and always thinking of ways to cheat. You stick with this woe and trust me, you will be pleased and very happy.

Quote:
seeing how you started and developed has been a real eye-opener ... Transformation indeed - a true metamorphosis.

Thanks Fiona,
Who would have ever thought I would succeed on this woe, not me...honest. I've said before and I will say it again, If I can do this, anyone can.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 19:41

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
You are so right. Prior to this woe, support was nothing like this. The other plans I tried, I would lose 12 lbs and then lose interest due to starvation and always thinking of ways to cheat.

Exactly!! That's been my experience, too!

Quote:
You stick with this woe and trust me, you will be pleased and very happy.
I'll trust ya on that one Wendy!

Quote:
THe cravings are so intense that the only other thing I've had like it was my addition to nicotine.
BTW, that should have been "my addiction, and not my addition to nicotine"
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-02, 18:16
Golden Greek Girl

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 207/200/185 Female 5'8
BF:?????
Progress: 32%
Default I totally agree

I agree with you whole heartedly Silvia. Everything you said I say all the time. "I just don't have an appetite for junk". Everyone where I work at eats junk like crazy. Now that winter is setting in I'm sure so will the guts. We get all the free boxes of ho hos and twinkies and all that stuff all week long. I like Atkins and the way I feel now. No bloat all the time, no indigestion. I just feel better when I get up. I would rather feel like this than eat junk. I know when I eat it, I'll feel sick. Have a great weekend.

Amber
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 16:23

Plan: no fake foods lo-0 carbs
Stats: 200/160/130 Female 5'2"
BF:goal 25%
Progress: 57%

I also heard where some have fallen off the wagon. Why would falling of the wagon happen if the book says your cravings go away?
suger is an adiction..and just like alcoholic or ex- smoker we think we can just have a little bit and be alright and the world encourages us to cheat.And when you "just have one" your cravings come back.But when you have been eating this way it changes the way you think. You will know it is right, you will feel it just like the ex-smokers and alcoholics.
I find that chromium help with my craivings.
Unity
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 20:18
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by numberonewendy
Hi all,

Wow am I ever hearing negative stuff on this Atkins WOE. Wendy

I really don't like to bash Atkins or ANY plan, but I was over on another low carb message board and a bunch of pople on the Atkins diet were talking about their hair falling out. They acted like it was perfectly normal. Also a lot of them talked about feeling nauseated, having stomach cramps,etc. I have tried Atkins myself twice and both times I got so constipated I thought I might have to go to the hospital. I drank at least a gallon of water everyday, ate the amount of vegetables the book said and took fiber pills and flax seed and nothing worked until I took a lot of over the counter laxatives and then I got diareah of course. Go figure! And I still didn't lose any weight. I have heard so much conflicting stuff, I don't know what to believe. Also, a lot of people keep re-inducting every few months. If the plan works, why do they have to keep starting over. I have read that doctors think it is just because there are fewer calories during induction and thats why people lose.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 14:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

>>"They acted like it was perfectly normal."

That can happen on any weight loss plan. For women, it tends to be hormone related. I remember it happening to one member who just had a baby (hormones) and another who wasn't taking any supplements.

>>"Also a lot of them talked about feeling nauseated, having stomach cramps,etc."

This is common, particularly when people start after gorging themselves over the holidays. If you take a few weeks to increase your fiber, decrease your sugar and starch intake, and cut the caffeine, induction is far less painful. Personally, I see it as a sign of unhealthy chemical dependancy. The same "detox" process happens to people going cold turkey off caffeine, alcohol or hard drugs. It's no fun, and it's not for everyone, but it's a perfectly valid approach. At least with carbs, it's just low blood sugar (usually.)

>>"Also, a lot of people keep re-inducting every few months. If the plan works, why do they have to keep starting over."

Because plateaus happen to everyone, and they want to try to bust it. Because they're human and fall off the wagon. (Addiction-speak intended.) Many choose do to it to get themselves back on track mentally, if they've had "carb creeps". Let's face it, we're swimming against the tide here, and it's easy to let bad foods slip back in slowly. (BTW, I've never seen anyone here re-inducting that often.)

>>"I have read that doctors think it is just because there are fewer calories during induction and thats why people lose."

It's hogwash. I lost weight eating 2000 calories a day at near induction levels, when I couldn't lose on 1200 low-fat dieting. Studies have validated that LC dieters eat more calories and still lose more weight, but I can't find the reference right now.

Last edited by Kristine : Tue, Jan-06-04 at 14:35.