Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 22:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/127/115
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy what should I eat when out of town??

Hi all. I am apprehensive about this weekend, I am traveling to meet some friends, and I haven't left my house since starting this WOE. I am in part nervous that my friends will say something dumb, especially since I am healthy and not terribly overweight. (They did not know about my horrible sugar addiction that I kept secret before this WOE.)

So, I am prepared with what to say to them if they comment ("REad Atkins' book and then come talk to me." or "Yes it is healthy." or "How many viatmins and fresh vegies do YOU eat a day? And ho much sugar do you eat a day?") but I am not sure about eating out. I think we will be going to retaurants mostly. Are there any suggestions for certain tyes of food that are best (ie Sushi, Italian, etc) or any advice in general on survivin'????

Also, any advice on alcoholic type drinks that are reasonable? i.e. light beer, or Bloody Marys, or wine? Just curious. ANy I should DEFINITELY stay away from (besides all the soda and fruity ones)?

Love this forum!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 06:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Well, I go out quite often to eat. I eat chicken and salads. Hamburgers without the bun. Steak, (pretty much any meat).

When you are at a restaurant you can substitute potatoes for salads.

When it says veggie of the day, ask ahead of time what that veggie is.

For breakfast, I order bacon, sausage and eggs, just say no potatoes, and no bread. I was asked if I would like tomatoes on the side, oh yes please came my reply. Some here have asked for salad on the side instead of potatoes and toast.

I find if you tell the place where your eating your following a low carb diet, they are pretty good about helping you stick to it.

I find eating out quite simple to be honest with you.

Good luck to you, I'm sure you will be ok

Ps. I drink rye and diet coke. Although I have been told there is hidden carbs. Beer is very high on carbs. I have had a glass or two of wine too, just use this stuff in moderation if you want to have a glass or two. Drink plenty of water.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 07:18

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wendy's advice is great, hockey. All I'll add is to be sure to ask how things are made. I found out quite by accident that some restaurants use margarine and sugar in omelets.

Nat