Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 00:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 313/300/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Thumbs up Chocolate bars

This is a simple, really yummy recipe. If you like semi-sweet or dark chocolate, you need to try this I made a large batch, but you can cut it in half or fourths if you'd like.

16 oz coconut oil (expeller pressed)
8 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 teaspoons pure stevia extract powder (start with 1 3/4 teaspoon)
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
8 tablespoons slivered almonds

Melt coconut oil on very low heat - you want to it to melt, not cook. Stir in remaining ingredients. Taste for sweetness, and add tiny amounts of stevia until it's right. Pour into a container and chill in fridge. When hardened, cut into 16 pieces - 1 net carb each.

A Rubbermaid Serving Saver container or something similar is perfect, as the chocolate won't stick to it and will pop out easily, and you can store it in the same container. I used a small 6" x 6" square container and got very thick chocolate - use a larger container or lipped baking sheet for a thinner "candy bar" size.

If using a small pan, hold out 2 tablespoons of the almonds. When it starts to set, sprinkle the remaining almonds on top (the other almonds will all sink to the bottom and this evens it out a bit).

I have only made this once, but I think these variations would also work well:
- use 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract or 1 teaspoon cinnamon instead of the almond extract
- use other nuts such as pecan, walnut, brazil, or macadamia
- use virgin coconut oil instead of expeller pressed (it's coconut-ier), omit extract, and use dried coconut instead of some or all of the nuts

Sue
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 13:46

Stats: 320/224/175 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 66%

My gosh, this sounds awesome! I am assuming the carb count on the coconut oil is zero?

Dark choc is THE choc!

thanks!

~Debbie~LoveSong~
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 18:17
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, coconut oil is 0 carb - the carbs come from the cocoa and the nuts.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 17:44
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There is a recipe I made that is somewhat like this. Instead of the nuts though I just used unsweetened coconut flakes. I got the sugegstion form the place I buy my coconut products

www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 11:22

Plan: just do it
Stats: 140/131/115 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Wowzer! this sounds yummy! i will definitely have to cut the recipe into fourths to keep myself from overindulging!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 23:45
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloSue
- use virgin coconut oil instead of expeller pressed (it's coconut-ier), omit extract, and use dried coconut instead of some or all of the nuts

I made it yesterday using virgin coconut oil and 8 tablespoons coconut (no nuts or extract). It has a really yummy coconut flavor

However, the cocoa settled to the bottom so I ended up with 2 layers - a chocolate layer and a white coconut layer. This did NOT happen when I used the expeller pressed oil.

Also, it was more brittle and broke when I cut it up. Not sure if this is related to the virgin oil, or if it's due to the fact that I used a wider container this time (6x9 rather than 6x6) so the chocolate was thinner, or if it was due to being colder (in the fridge overnight before cutting as opposed to just an hour).

Anyway, it tastes great, but does not look as nice.

Sue
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 357/345/196 Female 6ft 0inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

what stevia, please, never heard of it, i'm in the uk
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 19:47
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Massive!

Stevia is a plant that originally grew in the mountains of South America. The leaves are very, very sweet, and the stevia I used is a purified extract from the leaves. This extract is about 300 times sweeter than sugar, and has no impact on blood sugar, no calories, and is supposed to prevent cavities. It is used very sparingly: 1/3 - 1 teaspoon is as sweet as 1 cup of sugar (the amount varies due to the concentration of the extract).

It is used commercially in Japan and a few other countries but in the US, it can only be sold as a "dietary supplement" and not an ingredient (it would take $$ away from aspertame and can't be patented, so there's no profits in it and the big chemical companies' lobbyists have no desire to let it be sold). Here's some more info: http://www.stevia.net/history.htm

Anyway, you might be able to find it in your health food stores, and it can be ordered online. It comes in several forms: purified extract powder (white), powdered stevia (green - basically ground up leaves), liquid, and extract mixed with fiber to make it easier to measure volume-wise. I have only used the pure extract, so I can't say anything about the other forms, but I have heard that the green powder has a bad "licorice" taste.

If you can't find it, you could use Splenda instead and just adjust the amount. I personally prefer stevia because it is natural, and I am not convinced that Splenda is any safer than aspertame.

Sue