Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 10:00

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%
Default Bad reaction with Splenda

Does Splenda taste bad to anyone?

I'd tried a small amount of splenda back during Phase I...it tasted terrible and I decided I wouldn't use these types of products. This weekend I broke my rule of no fake LC products twice and suffered for it.

My DW was going to have some ice cream for a movie snack on Saturday night. I decided I'd get some of the endulge ice cream...I know it's not SBD because of the high fat but did it anyway...I think it's sweetened with splenda or a splenda clone. It tasted good while eating it but left a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the night and through to the next morning. I also got a headache and upset stomach.

Last week I had found LF blue bunny yogurt with no added sugar. Great stuff. This weekend I found blue bunny LC yogurt...5 gr per 6 oz serving...but sweetened with Splenda.

Same reaction as with the ice cream...learned my lesson...I'll have no more.

Do these artificial sweetners tast like crap to anybody else?

Last edited by pstar : Mon, Feb-23-04 at 10:11.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 10:15

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

It has been so long since I have had real sugar that I guess I just don't notice it. Even when cooking LF on Weight Watchers I used Splenda instead of sugar. I would say that if you are having reactions to it quit using it. I try not to use too many of the LC products either.

Wee
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 10:38

Plan: South Beach currently
Stats: 169/152/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:

I use artificial sweetners (actually sweet & low and equal) or a combination of the like, I found that it tastes better than just one or the other, but I tryed splenda a long time ago, and really didn't prefer it. Although I dont have any adverse reactions from it. I just dont like it.

There are lots of different types out there. I can't think of all of the them, but for instance Sweet & Low's active ingredient is Aspartame, while equal's is different and so is Splenda's. Maybe you should give all of them a trail so to speak to see which ones upset you and which ones dont?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 11:34

Plan: South Beach Diet
Stats: 183/175/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I also get a bad taste in my mouth. Plus anything that has aspertame in it give me a headache and upset stomach. I hate artificial sweetners. I have tried Splenda and its ok for me no headaches or bad tummy but i do notice a slight after taste. I try to stay away from any artificial sweetner.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 15:11

Plan: My own based on South Beach
Stats: 189/186/160 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 10%

I use a fair amount of artificial sweetener as I used to have a huge sweet tooth and really miss sugar. I sometimes worry about using them though because a friend told me that with some of them, the chemicals can accumulate in your brain (hopefully that's an urban myth)!
It also doesnt really gel with the idea of eating whole foods. I hope to use it to wean myself off sugar and then quit using it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 17:48
Registered Member

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 168/140/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have never had a problem with Splenda.. I would rather use that than Equal or Sweet N Low.

I did have Sweet N Low with a Latte a few months ago, and that stuff made we feel real weird..Never again..
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 21:45
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach/Atkins
Stats: 183/169/145 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 37%

FYI, the LF Blue Bunny yogurt with no added sugar is also sweetened with Splenda. Maybe it's something else in the LC yogurt and/or the LC ice cream that your body is reacting too? Maybe not, but it's just a thought.

I love the no sugar added BB yogurt, but have never seen the LC version. I'll have to watch for it.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 13:20

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default genetics and bitter taste

Genetic differences in taste are a famous test to show what genes can do - it is easy to show even to elementary school children. There are small filter paper strips with a chemical, you try them, and about 20% of people say they taste like filter paper (i.e. they don't taste the chemical at all), most people say they taste bitter, and another 20% or so spit them out saying: "How could you give me this, it taste yucky, horribly bitter!" There are several taste receptors, and the ones for bitter taste really vary quite a bit - it also varies with race a bit. Saccharose is a known one, chinin-containing drinks, grapefruits are other known examples.

Those of you saying Splenda doesn't feel like anything bad probably are of the non-taster kind, who thinks grapefruit tastes sweet-sour, and those for whom Splenda is too bitter likely finds grapefruits undigestably bitter? We are all different!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 14:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 224/213.0/145 Female 5.6
BF:??
Progress: 14%

It makes sence what Monika says ~ I have heard of that strip test thing before, but never really thought of it. I like equal best, Splenda isn't sweet enough for me, although I don't think that it tastes bad. I am a lover of grapefruit, so, there you have it... we are all different!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 09:27

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

I keep on learning...

When I wrote this original post I had not had sugar since starting SBD on Jan. 9th. I had the artifical sweeteners a few times as I described and they tasted like*#*%

Went to a home and garden show this past weekend...there was a place selling homemade fudge and was giving samples. Everyone I was with had some and I figured what the hell...I had a piece about the size of a small gum ball...it seemed so sweet that I thought I might get sick...and...it left the same bad taste in my mouth as the artificial sweetners...maybe I'm cured.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 11:04

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Not sure if this will be any help but if you are eating something that you just have to have a sweetener in I have found one that doesn't leave that bad taste at all. It's called Sugar Free imitation honey ( by HoneyTree's) It's something I found at our super walmart. I am just converting over from Atkins to SBD so not really sure how acceptable it is on SBD. Info on the back is

Fat 0
Sodium 0
Potassium 8mg
Sugars 0
Carbs 17g
Sorbital 2g
Maltitiol 12g
Higher Polyols 3g
Protein 0

So basically it's like 0 carbs when you don't count the sugar alchohols which don't effect blood sugars. (which I know you don't watch but...)

Anyways, if it is 'legal' stuff it really tastes like honey.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 22:48

Plan: first diet cure...now want to try SII
Stats: 163/163/149.5 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default splenda

i cant use it. it gives me headaches/nausea and horrible stomach cramps/gas. i even broke out in a rash. i thought i had the flu until i realized everytime i had low carb ice cream/candy, the "flu" returned!