Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:34

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Adding carbs...bad reaction question

Hi, all. Well...I went back to induction last week so that I could add in carbs according to the carb ladder. This week I added a cup of veggies to the 3 cups salad and am trying the addition of dairy. Yesterday I drank some Carb Countdown milk...no bad affects and was down 1/2 lb. this morning...so far so good.

Today I added in 1/2 c. full fat cottage cheese (4 carbs). Within a few minutes I got up and had a very very mild dizzy spell...had some bad ones yesterday that were in all likelyhood due to not eating in a timely manner...anyway, a few minutes later I had a sneezing attack - four or five sneezes in a row. For me this is a classic sign of low blood sugar...very shortly after that I started getting nauseated and had to go lay down. Thought I was going to...well...you know. When I got up from my little rest I noticed that I was being really grumpy and crabby - another classic sign of low blood sugar for me.

I did start taking Oil of Oregano today so it's possible this is the problem, but all the symptoms happened so quickly right after finishing the cottage cheese...

My questions is...Should I try this again in a couple of days, or is this evidence enough that my body can't handle cottage cheese right now? Will I ever be able to try it again or is this evidence that I can't tolerate it ever?

Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:50
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Are you eating the cottage cheese plain? You might give it a rest, then try having some additional protien with the cottage cheese to mediate the effects on blood gluclose. Maybe on the days you try the cottage cheese, skip the milk. That way you aren't having alot of lactose from different sources. It may be cottage cheese just isn't for you. Have you tried riccota?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:58

BF:

I didn't have any milk today...just the cottage cheese. Seems odd to eat protein with it...not sure what protein would be good with cottage cheese! What do you recommend? I wanted to get some Torani's Peach syrup to put in there....but at this point I'm afraid to. Have not tried ricotta...thought that was just for lasagne...the idea of eating it plain seems odd.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 20:08
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Check the recipe section. Alot of people will make dessert like things with riccotta. You can also do a zucchini lasagne, or just mix it in a skillet with tomatoe sauce and soem meat and call it 5 min lasagne

You don't have to mix the protien in, though soem like making shakes by using cottage cheese. They do cottage cheese, protien powder, then syrup liike your toranis. Just have a chicken breast at the same time, or something else using the cottage cheese as a side. There are hamburgers at resteraunts that do have cottage cheese on top. They are definetly interesting, though most have some pinapple added as well.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 20:16

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

that's a really weird rxn to cottage cheese though, esp cause it doesn't have that much carbs and has a lot of protein itself-- r u sure you're not allergic to it? or minor lactose intolerance? Or maybe it was just spoiled?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 20:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 136/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:32/25/20
Progress: 82%

Hi Freckles!
Sorry I can't help you, but I am very curious as to how you know that a sneezing attack is a sign of low blood sugar for you? I used to get these quite often and had one last Saturday evening, always while driving!!!!!!! So I am curious about this????

Maybe bacon would be a good protein for your cottage cheese????
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 20:26
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I notice that I get blood sugar disturbances when I first reintroduce something new to my diet. The first time I ate apples, I got this shaky/nervous irritable feeling (this was my personal recollection of what low blood sugar felt like). I was really depressed about that, since I love apples. However, I tried eating them again and I don't get that feeling anymore at all.

I think when we start to use more sugar again, we kind of go into a "reverse induction" mode. Your body isn't used to it, and it needs to adapt, just as it did before when we went on induction.

Try again tomorrow, and this time drink a little carb countdown milk for protein, and add nuts to your cheese for fat. If you still feel like your blood sugar is messed up, then maybe you should avoid this particular item.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 21:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun5oh
Hi Freckles!
Sorry I can't help you, but I am very curious as to how you know that a sneezing attack is a sign of low blood sugar for you? I used to get these quite often and had one last Saturday evening, always while driving!!!!!!! So I am curious about this????

Maybe bacon would be a good protein for your cottage cheese????

Well...3 or 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with low blood sugar and started learning about it I started noticing that when I ate something really high in sugars I would start sneezing...sometimes 20 times or more!!! (I had been doing it all along, but didn't notice the connection to sugar until then. I'm a bit slow sometimes. ) But if I ate a piece of cheese, the sneezing would stop. Then I read in The Low Blood Sugar Handbook (author's name escapes me) that this was a symptom of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar). I was glad to know, but had already figured out how to fix it (temporarily anyway) by eating protein to counter-act the affects of the sugar.

By the way...I tried the eating plan in that book and it did not help me...too high carb...it wasn't until doing Atkins that my symptoms completely cleared up. Today was the first day I experienced them since May 2003!

Bacon isn't a bad idea! Thanks.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 21:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Try again tomorrow, and this time drink a little carb countdown milk for protein, and add nuts to your cheese for fat. If you still feel like your blood sugar is messed up, then maybe you should avoid this particular item.

Maybe you are right...seems logical anyway. I think I will try again, but not tomorrow, and not the same day I have the lc milk...I'm afraid that would be too much. Hopefully, though, you're right. I will try again on Saturday and give an update.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 21:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206.2/196.0/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 15%

You mentioned you just started the oregano oil. That is suppose to combat yeast. Sneezing, dizziness and nausea can all be symptoms of yeast. When you go through yeast die-off, your symptoms get worse. The first three days of taking the oregano oil I felt horrible. I had headaches and also felt like I had low blood sugar. It's been a week now, and I feel much better.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 21:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzlee
You mentioned you just started the oregano oil. That is suppose to combat yeast. Sneezing, dizziness and nausea can all be symptoms of yeast. When you go through yeast die-off, your symptoms get worse. The first three days of taking the oregano oil I felt horrible. I had headaches and also felt like I had low blood sugar. It's been a week now, and I feel much better.

hhhmmm...see I was wondering about this. I did have all the reactions right after I ate the cottage cheese, though. It will be interesting to see if I have these reactions tomorrow. So far I feel fine now and have not really had any other reactions that were talked about on the OoO thread. Thank you for telling me your experiences!...I hadn't read about anyone having low blood sugar symptoms with the OoO and it's nice to know so I can consider the possibility.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 09:12
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Cottage cheese can feed yeast and lead to the reaction your having because you have a die off and feeding going on at the same time.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 09:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

Sneezing as a sign of low blood sugar is fascinating! I had no idea. Sometimes I have little sneezing fits in the morning (I don't have allergies) and now I wonder if that's why. Thanks for the info!