Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:47
Work In Progress

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 323/284/160 Female 5'3"
BF:Size: 26/24/12
Progress: 24%
Default I'm Back On Board!!

Hello Triple Digits Club!!

I have been away for some time, but have recently rededicated myself to the LCWOE. I must admit, I was leary about coming back to the boards because I felt so ashamed of myself for falling off the most perfect way of losing weight! I often wondered, how can I NOT be lowcarbing?

No matter...I'm back on board, I'm ready to do this...again!!

I must ask a question for those of you who have lost some/all of your weight:
What keeps you on track?
What do you do when you really crave bad carbs?
what/who movitates you?

I really appreciate you answers and support. I do not plan on failing again.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 12:59
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

welcome back!

i am no expert at this, only been at it for a few months, but what keeps me on track is knowing that i want to be smaller.
and as far as those bad carbs go, if i really really want one, i will eat an atkins endulge bar, or similiar.
potatoes and bread i have easily given up. it's the chocolate that gets me.
i have the support of all of my family and friends, and also the support of this board. i have learned alot here, and it has really kept me focused.
good luck to you, looking forward to many more posts in the future.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:04

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi and Welcome back. Like you I am a re-starter after a bad fall last year off the low carb wagon! Don't feel ashamed of yourself, feel proud for coming back and getting on track again! We learn from our mistakes and if in this venture you've learned something about yourself, then it is all worth it in the end! As far as motivation, sometimes I'm pretty lacking in that department. What I tend to do is just take things one day at a time and if I'm faced with something I really want, I tell myself that for today I won't have it. Then tomorrow comes and I really don't want it anymore! As you can tell, I'm still not at the point of long term thinking! Some days are still a struggle for me!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi there and welcome back to the board!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:27

Stats: 260/208.8/130 Female 5 FT 5 IN
BF:
Progress: 39%

Welcome back! Good luck on your journey.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 14:50
Work In Progress

Plan: G.I. Diet
Stats: 323/284/160 Female 5'3"
BF:Size: 26/24/12
Progress: 24%

Thank You all!!
You don't know how much I need encouragement!

I am so glad to be back. It's amazing how much better I feel already. I just got back started on March 1, and I'm already feeling a difference.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 15:39
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

What keeps me on track long term is wanting to be healthy and fit so I can enjoy the land I own now and into my old age.

What keeps me on track day to day is a personal belief that within the next few years we are going to see additional health insurance restrictions or surcharges based on BMI measures. I would expect that we will start seeing surcharges next year, but I am determined that if they happen to be introduced during this year's health insurance open enrollment period (October) that I'm not going to have to pay extra because insurance companies find it cost effective to criminalize obesity and overweight. I'm also considering the possibility of retiring as early as 50 (7 years away) and to do that I would need to be sure I could get private health insurance. I'd hate to have all of my pennies saved, and have the decision as to whether to retire at 50, 55 or somewhere in between be controlled by the insurance industry.

I'm STILL ticked off about applying for health insurance when I was self employed and 272 lbs, applying with me as the primary and my husband (who has had serious health problems in the past) as the dependant, and having the company send back a letter addressed to him telling him that he was accepted but I was denied because of my weight. They didn't even send ME the rejection letter. It was as if I didn't even exist because I was the wrong weight. I'm still mad about it.

You can get a lot of weight loss out of determination to never again have your employment or retirement choices held hostage by insurance companies' BMI calculations and cut offs.

I'm actually in a bit of a bind right now. At my height, I need to weight 166 to ensure that some idiot calculating my BMI and not carrying any digits after the decimal point will still label me as normal weight. Figure 6 lbs difference between morning naked weight and an afternoon weigh in with clothes and shoes, and that means I should keep my weight at 160 or less.

With my current lean mass (which is still going up), 22% body fat would be 159 lbs. If decide that I really don't want the risk of someone ever calculating a high BMI on me, my final weight needs to be somewhere between lean and very lean - not just good old "normal". And I bet that 3-5 lbs of the lean mass is from a dab of extra skin here and there which makes absolutely no difference to health, but would still get tallied up as fat by a bunch of morons who think BMI should be the gold standard of body evaluation.

Still, I just can't see how insurance companies can avoid fat surcharges or policies that limit access to care for fat people when they currently have to foot the bill for a booming number of gastric bypass surgeries. I've seen our local clinic advertising and apparently selling gastric bypass with a "free" tummy tuck follow up (upcharging the bypass to pay for later "free" surgery), and at my company alone (which isn't that big), I know of at least 6 people that have used the company health insurance to get the surgery. I'm sure there are quite a few more, especially when you consider spouses and dependants. Those costs will have to be passed on to the other insured folks, and I really believe BMI calcs will be used to decide which of us has to pay how much.

October is coming fast, and I'm going to feel a lot better knowing that my BMI isn't going to be an issue for any insurance company. Of course, hiking with a lot less lbs is going to be really nice, too - and I don't mind getting that sooner rather than later.

Lynda
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 18:03

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

Congrats on coming back! I was in the same boat as you. I LCed for a few weeks last summer and was on this forum frequently. I was ashamed to come back after I fell off the wagon. So ashamed that I created a whole new account because I didn't want to look at my old journal. I'm 3 weeks back in and have not cheated once which is a heck of a lot more than I can say about last time.

I made a list of all the reasons I want to lose weight. I set goals for myself, weekly and monthly, and have been doing everything possible to keep up to them. When I'm feeling discouraged I jump on here and try to find answers to show that I don't need to worry. Just stay as focused as possible! You can do it!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 19:37

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Welcome back to the forum!!!!

I fell hard too - probably crushed Charran on my way down! But I am down 22 pounds now and it is great! You hang in there! We know it works so now we must work it!

My best sources of motivation are:

1) I am a nerd and like to change my stats on my profile
2) I only concentrate on doing it 24 hours at a time
3) My mini goal is always to get out of the tens I am in (I am working on getting out of the 260's now and into the 250's!
4) I am learning to love walking! Nine weeks ago nothing besides a burning house would have got me to do that

So wonderful to have you back! Keep posting!

Orchid
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 21:32
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Welcome back!! You're always welcome here and will find support and a sympathetic ear to help you through the tough times. Don't desert us again!!

Louise
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 18:14

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 270/256/175 Female 5.5
BF:Afraid to Know
Progress: 15%

I know exactly how you feel, i have disappeared a couple of times but never fail to return because i know there is no other way i can achieve my goals. So welcome back and the best of luck to you.