Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 21:31

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/165/130 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default having trouble with motivation

I am new to this diet idea. My problem is that I keep cheating before even starting induction. I have read the book, know pretty much by hard what I can and cannot eat and yet, toward the evening I feel like I just don't have the motivation to stick to this long term. I am also a college student and living "out of the cafeteria" makes it even harder on me, since I don't actually get to chose the meats I want and etc. So, I am guess I am sort of feeling disapointed because I am not sure this will ultimately work. I wanted to find out if any of you had possibly similar motivation problems in the past and have gotten over them and are not losing weight without a problem.

I would appreciate any kind if help. =)

Erica
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 21:43

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there.......

I'm here to tell you that if you've read the Atkins book and you are prepared to do EXACTLY what he says, it will work. Check around the site for success stories and statistics. I know that there are others who are eating in cafeterias and having success too. The bottom line is How bad do you want it? Do you want it enough to take the challenge and make it work?

I'm wishing you all of the very best on your LC adventure!

Marlaine
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 21:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/157/115 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 30%

Erica, I think the hardest part is deciding that you CAN do it, then getting started. My husband started Atkins a week before me because I just didn't think I could do it. After watching him for a week, I decided that I could. Maybe it would motivate you to read some of the threads where people are telling about their success.

I'm glad you're here. Let us know when you get started!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 21:56

Plan: SBD
Stats: 200/191/180 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:watch it jiggle
Progress: 45%

Gee that's a tough one....

I think I can relate a bit though. I tend to find that evenings are my weakness as well. Something just gets triggered somehow and I want to gobble up things. What I usually do whenever the rush to eat takes over me is, (or cheat for that matter) I have a cocoa. I got the recipe from another person on this board and it gets me through a lot...

I think you will need a boat load of support though because you're surrounded by people eating all sorts of things, you don't have your own kitchen and hey, we all drink in college! Hmm. If I were you, I would have to have my own stash of things in my room. Things that help me toward my goal- like splenda- tonight I had friends over for a bbq (its like 70 where I live) and I made lemonade- with splenda, lemon juice and water. It was wonderful... I bet if you could treat yourself in little ways, you could get through the cafeteria scene.

Gosh, I found it hard not to eat like total crap when I was in college, I think you're pretty brave for going for it at this time. I think you need to find a 'safe crutch' to help you through the tough times and the social carb fest times. Use it when you need to, so that you stay on plan. Also know, for me the first 4 weeks were the hardest- now its getting to be old hat. I don't crave the other things... its weird and cool and relieving all at the same time.

I wish you the best- post in my journal if you need to- let me know how you're doing.

Best of luck to you!! Stay away from the pizza and find new ways to comfort yourself!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 04:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

ask yourself am i tired of being fat? _ yes _no
how bad do you dislike the body fat? _somewhat _very bad _ thinking about useing a knife on it .
some resons for not losing the weight. _ i really dont mind caring the extra fat around allday long __ i really dont want to have a smaller harder body . __ my husband or wife likes it this way.
giving up sugar high carbs to lose the fat ___ no id rather carry the fat around than give up my sweets.
__no i dont think it would be worth losing the fat for sugar
atkins aint hard, you just really got to hate bodyfat.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 13:01

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Maybe it's physiological?

Could you be eating something that's triggering a blood sugar surge / drop? Like, maybe, diet drinks during the day? Fake foods? Corn syrup hidden in some "mixed meat" products?

The longer I stay LC, the more I discover MOST of my weak events are triggered by something I ATE, less so than some condition of my mind. You might want to look at the trigger food possibilities on the CAD forum for ideas. Helped me.

It's also possible that you're still young enough that some of the other diets would "work" for you. They did for me, when I was under 40. Not any more. LC is the only WOE that has given me ANY stability in the last few years.

Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 15:03

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know when I kept procrastinating about starting it was FEAR! You're thinking you have so much to lose, you'll never get to eat______ again, how am I going to manage??? These are all understandable, but I think it's a way to delay change. You love your comfort food and don't want to give it up but you hate the extra weight. All I can say to this is something my Mom said to me when I was 17 and had just given birth to my first son and I was now a single mother--'take it one day at a time' - sounds pretty simple, doesn't it? Just decide, I'm going to follow the plan TODAY--don't worry about tomorrow, next week, next month...you get the idea TODAY I am going to drink my water, take my vitamins and only eat Induction-friendly foods. I'm going to visit the forum, start a journal (if you haven't already) and ask for encouragement, ideas and general support whenever I need it. Remember, there's somebody on here 24/7.

YOU CAN DO IT!!! ONE DAY AT A TIME

Nicole

ps--remind yourself when/if you're tempted to go off plan WHY you want to lose weight and also remind yourself that if you go off plan you'll take 3 days to get back into ketosis and be overweight for 3 days longer than you have to
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 16:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/179/150 Female 5 ' 2
BF:Sz24/Sz12ish
Progress: 70%

I agree with the "success story" comment. Check out the stories - it really does work - but you have to stick with it. Purchase some items that are low carb for your cheating attacks and maybe even schedule the "cheats" then you are in control. Snack ideas: SF jello w/cool whip; LC fudgsicles or juice bars, etc. This really helped me. Hope this helps - hang in there.