Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 08:45

Plan: Atkins diet
Stats: 141/141/110 Female 161cm
BF:
Progress:
Unhappy hello. I'm new. Problems already.

Hi,
I'm new to this forum. New to lowcarbing. So "hello"! I'm 5'3'' and 141. I've been doing Atkins for the last few weeks and NO weight loss. I think I may have gained a little. It's driving me nuts. I'm a recovering bulimic and I thought I finally found a WOL that will help me to get on with my life and go back to normal eating habits (normal in a LC way). I've been counting all the carbs (average of 15), calories (average of 1600), taking supplents (Q10, multivitamin, chrome), excercising (3hrs of aerobic per week and 2 hrs of swimming). And nothing! The only thing I can think of is candida. I may suffer from it. My question is... am I right? Or something else may be a cause? If so, what kind of candida causes a weight loss stall? What kind of medical test do I need to take to know that? In my country unless you are very sick (like literally dying) no one will bother to care about stuff like candida as there is not enough money to treat people who are seriously ill. They don't care about people who are trying to lose weight sp I know my doctor won't help me on that one. I have to go straight to the lab and do some test but was wondering if anyone knows what kind of tests? I'm even up for a nasal septum surgery as I've been suffering from sinusitis for the last 8 years and I've heard about a sinusitis-candida connection (has anyone else had this problem?).
please help me as I'm beginning to lose faith. Thank you for your help.
madzia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 08:59
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Czesc!

I can't believe you are from Wroclaw - I used to study at the University there
Not sure if you are still viewing this thread but if you do - let me know here and I'll try to help.....

See you I hope.....

Alina
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 10:24

Plan: Atkins, Perricone, my own
Stats: 157/144/120 Female 5 feet 1 1/2 inches
BF:do/nt/no
Progress: 35%

I have had the sinusitis for years, or so I thought. There are some easy ways to check yourself at home. !) Is there a whote or yellow coating on your tongue? 2) There is a spit test (do a search on here for the website and instructions). If you find you have it, you need to clear it up as it also affects your immune system, it is not just a weight loss issue.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:10
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

You may also want to try raising your carbs to 30 -50 a day. Some people can't drop the carbs so low. And the Atkins WOE is the best to get rid of Candida, but it takes a few weeks. Don't give up!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 23:47

BF:
Progress:
Default candida for sure

Hello again!!!
Thank You everyone for your replies. I've decided to carry out tests that will show if I have candida or not. My doctor was against it as he said I shouldn't worry about everything I read on the Internet as it's crap. I sent him to hell and paid for the tests myself. I just got the results (it took 2 weeks) and it clearly says CANDIDA ALBICANS. I don't know if I should be happy or not but I was right after all! But nothing to be happy about I guess So I'm starting my only-veggies and meat diet and I hope I'll get through this. I found Atkins so cool as I could eat Mayo and cheese. It didn't feel like a diet at all. Now it will be hard but I hope I will not give up. I've read somewhere that the cravings for sweets are so big for ones with candida that it may lead to overeating. There you go! I try to think it explains my overeating behaviour:-)
I will hope I will get through this.
I will keep you informed.
thanks

p.s. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU studied in Wroclaw. What a small world! When was it?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 23:52

BF:
Progress:
Default one more thing...

I was also diagnosed with Streptococcus orale and Streptococcus aureus MSSA and Moraxella catarrhalis. I guess no one here with the same problem??? Doctors say I should be taking antibiotics for that but it will make the candida worse but I will probably not get rid of candida with the stuff above still in my body. Too bad bacteries won't eat my fat. That would be cool! I would look anorexic then... :-)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:12
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Strep is very serious and can lead to heart problems if left untreated. If you have to go on antibiotics make sure you take a good probiotic and maybe a prescription antifungal like diflucan or nystatin. It should keep the candida from over growing. Good Luck.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 10:19
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Czesc!

So you've found your old thread agin....
I think your bacteria infection is too serious to be left untreated, you can deal with Candida later. Atkins really does help to get rid of Candida and yes - a person suffering from it always has incredible sugar cravings - the beast needs to eat!
Good luck with it! As for the weight loss - since you're already slim your weight loss will not be as dramatis as it is a case with an obese person. You need patience.....but it will happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
p.s. I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU studied in Wroclaw. What a small world! When was it?

Dawno, bardzo dawno! Zaczelam w 1986, historia sztuki i dziennikarstwo. Kocham Wroclaw, mam nadzieje ze dobrze sie tam czujesz?

Do zobaczenia!

Alina
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 12:37

BF:
Progress:
Default thanks

Thank you all. I guess I have to take care for my strep. Bacteriphages seem to be a good solution. I hope I get rid of all of it. We'll see :-)
ciao!!

ps.Alina! (mam tak na drugie imie) probowalam Ci wyslac maila, ale cos sie nie udalo. Cos mowi, ze mam zablokowana ta opcje. Sorry ze niepokoje. papa
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 13:20
RockerChik

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi, Madzia~!

There's a great natural supplement that may be able to help you. OIL oF OREGANO. I found out about it on a fantastic thread right here in the "Nutrition and supplement" section of the LC forum.

It's been helping me tremendously with my candida and a stubborn weight-loss stall was finally broken about a week after I began taking it. You can find it lots of places online....this is where I got mine at a great price -

http://www.swansonvitamins.com

Peace & best of luck,
Lena
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 04:39
Midas in reverse

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/231/165 Male 75 inches
BF:~31%/~26%/<17%
Progress: 31%

If you have access to a health food store/herbal store, Pau d'Arco (the bark of a tree that grows in South America) and Capryllic Acid (a naturally occuring fatty acid found in coconut oil) have greater anti-Candida effects than Oil of Oregano--both have been found to aproximately equal the power of prescription Nystatin.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-04, 10:56

BF:
Progress:
Cool all at once

ok...
so I'm taking my nystatine, Goldenseal Root extract, Pau D'arco pills. There is a company in my city that can get me OoO so I ordered two bottles and after reading your post Azraelle I bought two packs of Pau D'arco tea (it's called La
Pacho here). I can't be taking anymore... :-)
I hope I survive
thx
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 04:29
Registered Member

Plan: As LC as Possible
Stats: 320/270/210 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Thanks
How are things going on the plan..?? Did you get the OoO..??
how are the cravings..??
there are so many out there that listen...or help.. just smile and ask.
thanks for stopping by.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 23:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/158/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 28%

Just stick with the plan, this can work for you. I had the same problem with bulimia off and on for 17 years I always new I could stop when I wanted to, I just never wanted to. This WOL will really help you with it. I'm not sure why you are not losing. Maybe you can post your menu so we can see if you are having hidden carbs. Sometimes people will have milk in their coffee when they should be haveing cream. So post and we'll see what we can come up with. For now just stay the course.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 05:38

Plan: My Own
Stats: 240/213/152 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Take the anti biotics and get well. As soon as you've finished the course take large doses of a good quality probiotic to replace all the good gut bacteria that the anti biotics wiped out. It will help.

Re weight loss - It took me a month to start losing and now I usually lose a regualr pound a week. I have all proteins, vegs, beans, pulses, nuts & seeds, nat yogurt etc free then I count up to 30g carbs a day if I want them. Avoids are the usual for candida - sugars, sweeteners, fruits, vinegars etc