Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 06:24
That German Girl!

Plan: Low Carb, No Sugar
Stats: //! Female 5'11
BF:See my Inch Ticker
Progress: 64%
Default Carb count woes! (As in carbs in foods)

I swear - sometimes it's a PITA to carb count in Germany. Many of our labels have no info.

While this really keeps you to "whole foods" which is a good thing, I find it a pain that "no two cream cheeses are created equal" and some have carb counts, some don't.

Also, I only eat fresh mozzarella (the kind packed in water) and there's NOTHING on any of the internet carb count sites I can find for JUST *Fresh* Mozzarella.

That's not a biggie, thankfully my package has the count - but it would be SO SO nice to not have to add a custom food from every dang cheese in Germany.

It's not a huge PROBLEM or anything but it can be quite annoying when shopping or entering my foods at FitDay.

It would also be nice if FitDay had a "misc" thing for "misc carbs" because I don't really *care* what the fat, protein, blah blah of something is when I know the carbs - so it would be nice to just be able to add for example: Misc: 2g carbs.

/rant.

~Kimberly
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 16:42

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I know what you mean. I live in the UK,but due to being permanently "pleite", I shop a lot at Lidl. Great. Loads of german food, made in germany, packaged in germany....No Nutition count whatsoever....

Now I know that food in germany has less added sugar than in the UK and the US and meat hasn't got any fillers added, but I still don't know how many carbs to count....

I do sometimes take the count from german stuff sold at UK supermarkets (Sainsbury sells german salami for example) and hope it is about right.

Did you ever write to any of the manufacturers and ask for a count ?

For cream cheese (Philidelphia style) I use the FitDay average.

Feel lucky though, that you are in germany with this diet, as there is much less processed food about and the choice at the butchers is just divine. I sooo miss "Gelbwurst" here....

Whereabout in germany are you ?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 16:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 187.5/179.5/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

I created an "Extra Carbs" custom item in Fitday for when I'm too lazy to add in the 2 bites of DH's cake I ate, or those 3 french fries I stole from my sister at lunch LOL.

I just put in 4 calories and 1 g carb and everything else is 0, then I update the servings to the number of carbs I'm guesstimating.

Last edited by tsfairy : Tue, Mar-02-04 at 17:06.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 07:06
That German Girl!

Hi there Madpiano

I am near Wiesbaden, I live across the street from the Rhein.

I also do most my shopping at Lidl

At the rest at Edeka - specialty items, etc.

It is healthier here, food choice-wise, but it's the counting that can be a pain

~Kimberly
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 11:05

Stats: 240/205/160 Male 5'8"
BF:Scared to find out
Progress: 44%

Kimberly,

I used to work in Ruesselsheim (with Opel) and stayed in a hotel in Wiesbaden! Loved the place

Cheers
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 11:58
That German Girl!

Hi there tilt, my husband works near Rüsselsheim - and IMHO where we live is even SO MUCH nicer than Wiesbaden!

~Kimberly
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 15:09

Stats: 240/205/160 Male 5'8"
BF:Scared to find out
Progress: 44%

Hell, I just cannot get the umlaut to work on this website. It works everywhere else!

Cheers