Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 23:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 378/295/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default My "fat rolls" feel soft and mushy now, is this normal?

I have lost 60 pounds now and I have noticed that my "fat rolls" on my sides, my lower stomach and especially on my inner thighs feel like wet sponges. Before, they were much firmer (not too mention much bigger ) but now it feels soft and mushy. I am certainly not complaining but I was wondering if it is normal or what.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 00:03

Stats: 378/295/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Also, my stomach was hanging before I lost the 60 pounds and still is for that matter but I am worried that because of the way it feels, I may have to get surgery to have excess skin removed. Is there any correlation between hanging skin and the amount of mushiness you have?

Amazingly, I do not have even 1 stretch mark on my entire body either. I thought that might mean that my body would probably just pop back into place. I also pondered the idea that it might mean I am capable of expanding further before stretch marks appear GOD FORBID!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 00:06

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 252.4/171.2/166 Female 66 in
BF:40.74/27.63/25
Progress: 94%

Typically, the younger you are the more elastic your skin is. However, the more you weigh then lose the more likely you are to have excess skin. I say wait it out another 60-75 pounds or so and see how it looks. It is normal for your skin to get kind of mushy as your fat cells are being replaced with water. The water goes away though when your body realizes those cells won't be filled up again.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 08:34

Plan: Curves
Stats: 315/286/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I get mushy when I lose weight but give it a little time and see if it doesn't tighten up. You could be amazed!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 09:51
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Old Wife's Tales that seem to work for a lot of folk:

* Exercise
* Plenty of water

And IMHO, the most important thing is TIME. The faster you lose, the looser the skin. It's the one benefit of being a turtle!

And even if you are speeding down the scale, it will snap back depending on your age, genetics, how many times you've lost and gained, etc. It will just take time to see where you'll end up.

Your skin will keep getting tighter for years after you've reached your goal - as long as it's not a health hazard (like excess skin can be for some people), I think a lot of us jump the gun contemplating surgical removal.

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 14:58

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

yup I call it the huge mountain turned into a hilly marsh part of low carbing. . .the kicker is that I will probably be 80lbs lighter this summer than two years ago. . .but how everything is literally hanging I am not sure I will be wearing shorts. And I need a new bathing suit. . .last summer I had to sew a huge dart in the front just so it would stay up. ~sigh~ but I look a lot better in clothes! redawn