Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 20:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279/269/160 Male 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Introduction

Hello,

I just wanted to post an introduction to the TDC, I have been lurking for quite a while and never really posted, so I figured I should start now. I have been "doing Atkins" for about 6 months, but I've never really been able to do it continuously, I always seem to cheat "just this once" and then immediately derail. Staying focused and motivated has been an issue for me, as sometimes I think that I have so much to lose that I will never get there. So, that is where I am at now. I am hoping that this time I will be able to be focused and meet my goal.

Hope to meet all of you on the forum.

Dan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 21:06

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

Welcome aboard Dan! It is a pleasure to meet you and I can tell you that belonging to this forum has meant the world to me. I often read and post when the going gets tough. There is no reason to do it alone. We all have our ups and downs - great to meet you!

Orchid
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 21:17

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Dan! Welcome to the board
When I'm having a hard day with Atkins, this forum really helps me out and gets me motivated. There are several people here that are close to their goal weight, so it's not impossible, though I know sometimes it may feel that way. You can lose the weight; you have to decide, in your own time, when or if you want to give up the overeating. How do you benefit from being overweight? Are you willing to give that up to be healthier? These are questions I've asked myself just to keep me honest.
Good luck!
Melaney
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 21:23
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Welcome, Dan. I hope you can find the support you need here -- we are all on your side and will support you through all your ups and downs -- just ask and don't be shy!

Louise
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 22:06
living kaizen

Stats: 510/406/195 Male 6 feet baby...
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hey Dan, the best thing to do is to findsomeone else here on the board who ahs the same background/interests that you do. When you make a connection and find someone to whom you can be accountable, then you can't allow yourself to just up and disappear at well.
Obviously, this means taking additional risks, but I think that's that's the only way to make progress.
Check out the men's thread in the buddies/challenges forums. Best of luck in starting this WOE successfully.

-H-
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 01:52

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi Dan...Welcome to the TDC! I think almost all of us have had motivation and focusing problems at one time or another. You are definetely not alone in that. In this forum, you are surrounded by people who have been there and understand where you're coming from! Don't be afraid to speak up! Good luck on your journey!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 02:21
Low-Carber 4 Life

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 355/232/195 Male 6'0"
BF:(?/<?/<<?)
Progress: 77%

Hiya Dan!

Welcome to the TDC! I find all the Active Low-Carber Forums to be a great help, but the TDC is one I like to read through a lot. It's nice to belong to a community of people who all are sharing my journey with me.

There are so many helpful people here, they are an inspiration and a source of motivation for me. If you are having a specific problem you can search to see if anyone else had a similar problem, or you can just ask. Everybody seems eager to help us new to the WOL.

Good luck reaching your goals, and congrats on re-dedicating yourself after a few minor setbacks.

We can all do this together!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 05:30
Registered Member

Stats: 323/248/238 Male 193 cm
BF:BMI=30.2
Progress: 88%

Hello Dan, and welcome to the TDC. I've only been here a short while myself but already I can see the value of sharing the load with the folks here. Losing >100lb has seemed almost impossible to me .. but now, with all these role models about, it seems infinately do-able.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 05:44

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi Dan, Welcome to the TDC! You will find a great group of folks here to support you. I credit my success to staying plugged into the forum, using the journals and fitday.com. Having a well rounded set of friends and tools to support you can be more valuable than anything else. Don't wait until you find yourself drifting to "get connected" here. I look forward to seeing your success!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:32
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

Dan, welcome!!!!!

Getting started is the hardest part. Especially when we have so much to lose, it seems overwhelming. My sister is quitting smoking right now. She has decided to quit for March, and after that, she'll re-evaluate. It's a mind trick obviously, because if she makes it to the end of March, she won't decide it's better to smoke and start up again. But it was easier for her to commit to one month rather than to the rest of her life without cigarettes.

I've heard of alot of people having success with this trick in getting started on a new diet too. Just commit to doing the Atkins induction for 2 weeks. Just two weeks. Then, if you really have to go off it, you can, but give it the two weeks without a cheat if only to prove to yourself that you can do it, that you are more powerful than the hunger. After two weeks, you can decide if you want to go back to your regular eating, continue with induction, add carbs back or even switch to a different eating plan all together.

Whatever you do, keep coming back to these boards, they are great. The people here are the most supportive around!

Valerie
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 08:51

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

Welcome Dan!!!!!!! Thinking I had too much to lose and that it'd take me forever is what got me to my heaviest weight....making small goals and building on that achievement will equal success!!! I'm still in shock that I can say I'm into the 200's!!! Whoever thought when I started last June I'd be here now!!! I know *I* didn't think so but here I am!!!!
I try to eliminate the time factor altogether....(how long it takes really does not matter) only getting there does!!!! Good luck!