Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 06:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%

Maybe its not your fault that your intoxicated?

I said "sober" so why did you think I was intoxicated?

sober also = dull.

stll love you all

Lez
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 07:20
Registered Member

Stats: 240/233/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally posted by Lez
I said "sober" so why did you think I was intoxicated?

Sorry, I assumed that you meant, you were intoxicated since you stated that you weren't sober.
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 07:41

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Who or what is to blame? No black and whites

This whole discussion reminds me of the nature-nurture debate: If we blame advertising for our weight gains, we deny ourselves our free will. Lets face it:

- there are people for whom it is easier to stay thin, so genetics plays a role.
- if your parents flooded you with sweets every time you were upset, and you always had to clear your plate even if you weren't hungry, you were also made more likely to become fat.
- when you have the risky genes and childhood history, you are more likely lured by bakeries, advertisements etc. - so the environment also plays a role.
- but although both the ads and the genes increase your risk, you are still ultimately in control. For us, more will power and had work is needed than from those who stay naturally thin.

Similarly, we know some people are impulsive and easily become violent, and we know that growing up with drunk parents in a bad neighborhood and no role models and bad education makes a teen more likely to become a criminal. Nevertheless, when we say a criminal is guilty, we imply that s/he had the free will to decide not to - we are human, and have a choice.

So, even though childhood, TV ads, and genes all make it harder for some of us, ultimately we deny our own free will and humanity if we claim that there was no fault of our own.
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 17:35
Registered Member

I have been reading posts from people believing that their weight problems is their own entire fault! Well is it?

the operative word was "entire" and thanks all you guys it proved my point.

still love you all

Lez
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 19:13

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Well, using the word "entire" entirely out of place to start with, on this kind of behavioral subject, IMHO.

You seem to be confusing elements of causation with the issue of basic personal responsibility, in your thinking. Each one of us is basically responsible for our personal choices, including the choices about what and how much to eat, and/or drink.

On that plane the fault for our overweight condition is clearly resting on each one of us.

The elements of causation contributing to our choices about food and drink include those items you have chosen to identify as the "entire" cause of our obesity, and that is where I part company with your thinking. Yes, they are cleverly designed to help us in making poor choices, because their market research has indicated that is the way to maximize the market share for each delicious, sugary, profit making morsel that Company XYZ happens to be pushing. They exploit our weaknesses, but the weaknesses are still ours, and well within our power to change.

Just as many of the particpants on these threads have changed.

Still love you, Lez
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 11:19
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Adkin's
Stats: 252/236/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

This is one of the most interesting threads I've read lately.

I believe that my being overweight is about 98% my fault. Yes, I have the choice about what I put in my mouth. But a big part of how I have made my decisions, in the past, about what I put in my mouth, had to do with how I was educated.

Most people (not all), try to make informed decisions. They talk to their doctors, dieticians, read articles, etc., etc. The problem is, many times in life, those people that we are brought up to believe are experts, don't give us the right information.

First we're told to count calories to control our diet, then we're told to go on a low fat diet. We're told to drink plenty of milk, then we're told not to, it may have some stuff in it that's bad for us. We're told eggs are fine, we're told eggs are deadly, then we're told eggs are fine. We're told sunshine is healthy for us, we're told the sun's rays are deadly to us. Sometimes, you just don't know who to believe.

There are still doctors that tell their patients that the Adkins diet is bad. Some people will only believe what their doctors tell them.

Then again, like my in-laws like to bring up. Maybe the Adkins diet is not so good for you. Not because of the choices of foods, but because of where we get the food. Everyone knows that fresh veggies are the best, but, where I live anyway, I have no options of where to buy those vegies. Many that I buy are raised with chemicals. In the summer, I can buy from farmers, but not in the winter. I would have to travel four hours total to be able to buy organic produce. Between the cost of that produce, and the gas, I'm just not that rich. So I might lose weight, I might not get diabetes, but if chemicals are among the leading reason for many cancers, I may end up with cancer because of this diet. Sometimes you just can't win. LOL

So, we may be trying to do what's right, but our choices, are sometimes not our choice. If that makes sense.....
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 17:43
Registered Member

And that was the point Thanks to u all for contributing,
and Liv2004
tonight you are right,

LOL Lez
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 17:53

Stats: 225/225/140 Female 5'4
BF:?
Progress: 0%

I believe it is totally my fault and that I over eat is a selfish way of making sure that I have everything I want, right when I want it. I have seen my persoanl behaviors change during this woe---well, if I think abut it they had to!
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 18:22
Registered Member

Stats: 185.5/170.5/145 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 37%

I believe as children we are under the care of our parents, but as we grow and mature we have to start making our own decisions. It becomes our responsibility to make our own decisions. Just because we are told a certain thing (say through advertising) doesn't mean we have to buy into it.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 19:50
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There was a poll in a recent magazine. Instead of asking if out weight is our fault, it asked "Do you belive parents are at fault for a child's obesity?" I think it was about 70% agreed that it was the parents fault with 30% saying no.

One of the things that got me though was a quote form the not side. "While I agree it's soemwhat the parents fault, fast food places need to start placing healthy things on the menu. Some nights the only choice is the drive through." I'm not sure why this bothered me. Maybe because there are healthier things on some drive throughs such as grilled chicken, salads and so on. I can also understand running kids from one event to another and being to exausted to make anything. Or have children in the car on a cold night and not have to drag them into a store. It just seemed such a poor excuse to me, especially if it's done enough that it has a negative effect on the kids weight. At some point people have to take responsibility for going to places and ordering certain things, not blaming the industry that's just marketing to what people want.