Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 21:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/245.0/150 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default I'm ready to give up!!!

I've about had it! I've been in what I think is a true stall and don't know what to do. I knew this would be the place to turn for help.
During Christmas I gained about 4-5 pounds due to holiday eating. After the holidays, I knew how to fix it and within a few days I was back on track and had lost those 5 pounds. Stuck at 225 lbs. I knew it was temporary and lost a few inches during the first 10 days of January. Then nothing---
Stayed at 225 throughout January and 2 weeks into February. Went out of town and of course gained 3 pounds. Right back on track, lost those 3 pounds within 2 days and stuck at 225 again. And there I've been since the 16th of February. No inches, no pounds.
Typical meal plan---2-3 scrambled eggs for breakfast 1 16 oz coffee w/cream & sf Vanilla syrup Lunch--spinich salad w/ranch dressing and some sort of protein (chicken,beef,tuna etc whatever's leftover from dinner) Dinner--salad and/or mixed veggies, protein (same as lunch) and sometimes a mock danish for dessert later in the evening. I've been on the plan long enough to know what veggies and proteins are "legal" and 99% of the time stay within those guidelines.
Water throughout the day--I have never measured it but know it's at least 60-80 oz per day. I'm really getting discouraged and am turning to you all for help. What am I doing wrong----
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 21:20

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

try not eating after 5-6pm, seems to really help a lot of people. You probably shouldnt eat the danish late at night either.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 21:21
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Hi BKSELLER!

I am with you. I did the same thing... gained 8 pounds over the holidays, went back on induction and lost it in two weeks. Now I have been stuck at 198 for over a month, staying at 30 carbs a day. I posted a similar post "OFFICIALLY IN A STALL" and I got some good advice. Just remember, you aren't officially in a stall until you go 4 weeks without significant weight loss or inches lost.
The advice I took was to go to a ZERO CARB LEVEL for 5 days, then go on induction for two weeks. I am in day 4 of the zero carb level today, so I can't say if it will work but I am giving it a whirl.
Another thing to remember is that, the slimmer we get, the slower the weight falls off. I lost weight like a banty injun the first few months, but now that I am within 20 pounds of my ideal weight its like pulling teeth to lose more weight. So hang in there... it will happen. MAD
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 21:25

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

Well, two thoughts here....
One thing the Atkins book mentions as very important is exercise. Are you getting that in? Not a judgment question, as I'm pretty bad about it, but also can see the difference when I do it regularly.

Another thought is that you might want to get your thyroid checked. If it's out of whack, it won't matter how little you eat, your body will hold on to--or gain--weight.

Wishing you the best. Don't give up!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 21:47

Stats: 144/117/115 Female 5' 3.5
BF:
Progress: 93%

bk--
I wouldn't really call this a stall--it hasn't been even 2 weeks since you lost weight. It might seem like it's been a long time at the same weight, but you did cheat, and your body had to readjust. I've noticed with this diet, and what I've read others experience, is that after the initial quick weight loss during the first 3-4 weeks of this WOE, things slow down. Some people describe plateaus where they don't lose weight for awhile, then drop a few more pounds, then plateau again. I plotted my weight loss on a graph, and over the whole course of time since I started eating this way (not going to call it a diet anymore) I have averaged about .75 lbs/per week. That's pretty slow. I've done low-fat diets before, and with those you do lose quickly, but they are impossible to stick to. Also, one loses muscle with those diets, so that accounts for some of that weight
loss. I've been eating this way since September, with just a few cheats over the holidays. I have never before stuck to a diet like I can stick to this one. You will notice that I'm pretty much at my goal. I am fully confident that I will NEVER gain the weight back--I've never had that kind of confidence before.
I am urging you to be patient and stick with it--you will, in the end, probably lose your weight much faster,even at this slow pace, than you put it on. I bet that within 2 years you will be at your goal! Two years might seem like a long time, but what's 2 years out of a whole lifetime? And a longer, healthier, more enjoyable lifetime at that!

Peach
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 22:48
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Stick with it! I've had some stalls too and agree with beachmum that exercise is key to my breaking out of stalls.

btw peachagirl WAY TO GO you're almost at your goal weight
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 23:05

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I went off plan during the holidays too!

I wouldn't necessarily call this a stall since you went off plan during the holidays and then again here recently. You're bod is probably just having a hard time adjusting since you keep going back and forth. Just stick with it, and like others have said, the weight WILL come off. Also...often times you will loose inches when you are not loosing weight and if you're loosing either it isn't considered a stall. Hope this helps...and congratulations on your progress so far!!!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 13:43
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

BK:

Just to update you, after four days on the five day zero carb stall breaker, I broke 198 this morning to 197! So far its working good. You might try it. Mad
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 13:56

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 255/239/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I would double that water intake, Exercise , and I think you will be whooshing in no time. Good luck......
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 13:57

Stats: 191/177/148 Female 5ft. 6.5 inches
BF:40.40%/38.10/?
Progress: 33%

Madmike-
What do you eat on the 0 carb stall breaker plan?? Thanks!