Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-01, 12:29

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Greetings fellow low-carbers!

I've just been given a pamphlet by my pharmacist on a new product called Carb Solutions and was wondering if anyone has tried it and, if so, what you think of it! The product comes in bars, shake mixes, ready-to-drink beverages in various flavors and they even have a multivitamin specifically formulated for this diet.

Would appreciate input! Thanks for the wonderful site and the opportunity to have support while obtaining goals!

Dee
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-01, 13:08
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile hi Dee, welcome to the forum

Hmm, haven't seen Carb Solutions here in Canada yet. But, they might have a website where you can check for more info. Now I'm curious to know what protein they use in the drinks and powders, such as soy or whey??? And what is used to sweeten? ... ... Ok, Dee, it's your mission to fill us all in on these perplexing mysteries.

And, like, where do you live, what's yer goal, what lowcarb plan are you following, how many kids, cats, etc............. ??? I'm really nosy.

take care,
Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 25-01-01 at 16:53]
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-01, 19:42

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Carb Solutions, High Protein Bar

Hi Doreen!

Sorry it took me so long to reply; however, the pamphlet I was telling you about didn't list any of the ingredients. I also was waiting to return to "Walmart" (pharmacy section) to purchase one of the bars. As near as I can tell from the "gibberish" ingredients, lol, listed on the back, it contains whey and is sweetened with polydextrose. Now, for the ultimate question "how does it taste"? tada Trust me, a reece cup it's not; however, the creamy chocolate peanut butter bar can satisfy that craving....providing you get past the pasty, chewy taste that leaves an after taste in your mouth. I think it best to have a good hot cup of coffee with it! The cost of the 2.12 oz bar was $1.97...but I'm sure some of you agree that there are certain times you would do anything for chocolate! lol and with only 2 carbs for the whole bar, it seems worth it!

As for me...I'm a 49 year old from Ohio, USA. Have been a single mother since September, 2000. Kids are 15 and 17. and even though it has been a real challenge, I wouldn't trade it for the world. As of right now, I am a full time student with projected graduation date this summer.

In the past I had tried the low carb diet with a 30# loss success; however, with the stress from a divorce, I got careless and gained the most of it back. When the new year rolled around I decided it was time to do something for me for a change in life. I have been on a modified Adkins diet that seems to be working well for me.

Thanks for your quick response and once again I apologize for my delay...I promise to do better in the future. In the meantime..."have a happy low carb day"!

#4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-02-01, 20:33
Forum Founder

BF:
Default Dee, you spoke the forbidden word

Reese's Cups. Aaaarrgghh! I will be craving now for days. (just kidding)

Actually, they don't sound too bad. I had an Atkins bar once, something fudge, and well, they lied. It was gross, I like yer "paste" description. Paste, with gritty bits. It was enought to give lowcarbing a bad name. For me personally, the sugar alcohols are a definite staller. But I know a lot of folks enjoy them, and an occasional planned lowcarb snack such as these will often stave off cravings for much "carbier" things. I'll keep an eye out for Carb Solutions products on this side of the border!

You sound incredibly busy; good for you on the 30 lb. loss; you know you can do it again .. ..

p.s. - if you're still hankering for a lowcarb peanut butter-chocolate treat, Sharon has posted a good one in our Recipe section http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/snack106.html

Take care, and happy lowcarbing to you too!

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-01, 08:01

Plan:
Stats: 165/160/135
BF:
Progress:
Default CarbSolutions

Yes, they even sell this stuff in the drug store in Houston, Texas where I live. It is basically the same as the Adkins products. May taste a little better, but not much. The almond flavor is particularly medicinal.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-01, 08:36
Forum Founder

BF:
Lightbulb Carb Solutions

Well, after scouring the web a bit, turns out Carb Solutions isn't exactly "new". They're actually a reincarnation of Carb Smart products, new packaging and renamed, but pretty much the same formulas, although there is a pre-made protein drink available in bottles. (They were introduced in December 2000 under the new name).

Not sure if Carb Smart was ever available in Canada,,,,,, anyone else????

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-01, 23:08
Forum Founder

BF:
Arrow

Further sleuthing has turned up that the new "Carb Solutions" line is a product of Rexall-Sundown, who also makes and markets other nutritional supplements and aids as well. From what I gather, there was simply a conflict with the name "Carb Smart", which is another registered company trade name. You can find out more about the Carb Solutions product at their website .. http://www.carbsolutions.com/

Carb Smart, a separate and unrelated company also has a line of lowcarb products. Check them out here .. http://stores.yahoo.com/carbsmart/index.html

Hope I haven't thoroughly confused everybody ...

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 19:09

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

They don't tastes as good as Atkins in my opinion. They have a major laxitive effect, more that any other product line around. I don't reccomend them.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 10:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/132/110 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress:

Try the Atkins Endulge brand candy....Peanut butter cups, peanut butter/chocolate sticks, Mint chocolate sticks (they taste like thin mint girl scout cookies) Walmart sells them, they run about $.97 each...a little more than a normal candy bar but well worth it!!!!!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 10:27

Stats: 193/183/159 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 29%

I buy the Indulge carmel chew. My husband likes the peanut butter cup. They were $12.+ for a box of 12 at Sam's club.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 00:36

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I love the Atkins Endulge Carmel Nut Chew also...It's my favorite.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 13:40

Stats: 185/174.6/172 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 80%

Speaking of Reese's Peanut butter cups, they're now available in a sugar free version. They're pretty good, and taste pretty close to the original. Don't eat too many however, as they produce the infamous "laxative effect" if you do so.

Dan