Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 10:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/160/140 Male 5'10''
BF:
Progress:
Default Zero Carb Diet

Hello all.

I need to lose as much weight as possible in a short amount of time. I know it's crazy, but I'm a wrestler and have to. So don't rag on me. Anyways, if I were to consume absolutely no carbs for 4 days, how much weight do you think I would lose?

Let me know what ya'll think ASAP! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 11:24
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Wrestler, you will definitely not lose any more completely eliminating carbs than you will following Atkins Induction. That's one of the reason why in later books Dr A added the 20g carbs allowed during Induction. Plus you get many nutrients that your body needs from eating veggies, including fiber. Eat those veggies or you will be all clogged up, not a good feeling.

Everyone is different so who knows how much you can lose in 4 days doing Atkins Induction.

red
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 12:27
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Agreed - cutting back from the "barely any" on induction to zero is a surefire way to get really constipated, which would probably add to scale weight.

>>So don't rag on me.

Sorry, you're getting ragged on anyway. Being a wrestler doesn't make crash dieting any better of an idea. *shrug* Your best bet is to eat as "pure" a diet as possible, maybe an Atkins KIS type of thing - no processed food, no dairy, no artificial sweeteners, just plain meat, eggs, fats and veggies. Be prepared to feel sick and dizzy.

Good luck, anyway... try LCing long term, it works!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 12:42
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

A 0 carb diet would definetly be boring. You couldn't have any veggies, so no fiber and very little nutrients. Als ono eggs, shell fish, coffee, artificial sweetners, processed meats, or convience foods.

Basically all you could eat would be fats, meat in a natural state, and that's about it. It doesn't sound like soemthing that can be kept up for long without health concenquences.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 14:00

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Instead of zero carbs, which will result in constipation and, perhaps, an unacceptable drop in metabolic rate, why not cut to 20 carbs and zero SODIUM. Eliminate ALL processed food (no bacon, no deli meat, no cheese) and drink lots and lots of water. The water combined with low sodium should minimize any water retention.

Eat only clean, unsalted, unprocessed meats and leafy green vegetables with unsalted butter to keep your fat intake up.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 14:43

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Cutting out all sodium would allow additonal water loss, but it would also create a potentially dangerous electrolyte imbalance. When we're dropping that much water that quickly, we lose LOTS of electrolytes and can get VERY ill!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 10:28

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I am assuming that there is some naturally occuring sodium in unprocessing meat, vegetables, and butter. Am I wrong? What I was really talking about is no ADDED sodium via curing or processing. Don't the Neanderthin-ers get sufficient sodium without processing or salting their food?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 10:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

>>"Don't the Neanderthin-ers get sufficient sodium without processing or salting their food?"

Probably, but I bet it would take at least a week to readjust. The diuretic effect of suddenly cutting sodium might not be conducive to good athletic performance. When I eat "cleanly" - no processed food, no added sodium - my blood pressure goes through the floor.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 15:33
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

What good is making weight, if you drop it so suddenly you're weak, tired, off balanced, and groggy. Doesn't sound like a good way to win a match.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 17:06

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

That's called the Stillman Diet. Google it for more info.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 17:07

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Yeah, LadyBelle, those were exactly my thoughts after reading the posts! I mean, why bother if the outcome will just be compromised?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 18:16

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

DH was a wrestler and he used to jog in sweats and plastic garbage bags and spit to lose a few lbs of water weight a few days before a match. Sounds gross but he said it worked!

Wee
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 09:23
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

For that kind of thing check out some bodybuilding and even wrestling and fighting forums. Those guys/girls frequently must make weight for a weigh in, or a photoshoot etc.

Generally advice for quick fixes and fast loss is not a popular topic around here...look in the tips and stalls forums at what people have tried.

It's best to do searches before posting questions too, because experienced members will be more likely to feel kindly toward a frequently asked question if it's obvious that you've put some effort into it already.