Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 18:16

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%
Question Need more advice

I posted yesterday about being discouraged about stalling and someone suggested using fitday.com to see what I was really eating. I did, and it's here:

http://fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJour...?Owner=Squidess

Granted it's only one day, but that's a pretty typical way of eating for me. I'm shooting for about 25 gms of carbs and I'm in OWL.

What surprised me is that the calories I ate today were 1029 and according to fitday I burned 2497. That's a huge difference - nearly 1500 calories more spent than taken in.

But I don't feel hungry and don't feel like I want more food. Should I eat more anyway? Could this be why I'm not losing? Why wouldn't I be losing like crazy with this deficit? That ought to add up to 2 lbs a week and not zero.

Everytime I stall I feel like I should cut back and not eat more, so if I do need to add more food, I think I'll find that tough to do.

Anyhoo, would love to get some advice. Thanks!

Squid
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 18:36
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Squid. Your body thinks it has to horde everything because it's only getting 1029 and around that.

Up those calories and make sure you are getting enough protein. Sure an odd 1029 day is not going to hurt but you can't do that every day. Use fat to increase them--swallow a tablespoon of flax oil or olive oil. Thats about 119 calories all fat. You don't have to eat full meals. I eat 5-7 small meals. Make sure you have protein at every meal.

I think you should create a journal too.

red

I would cut out the half anf half and if you want have the real cream. Carnation makes a great one.

Almonds cause some people slower weight loss. How about trying pecans for awhile. It's higher fat. I eat raw and unsalted nuts only.

I would also cut out the Atkins shake.

Also, thats alot of carbs to spend on tomato sauce.

Last edited by red1cutie : Sun, Feb-22-04 at 18:46.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 18:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

I agree with what redcutie said...ditch the tomato sauce and add more raw salad type veggies covered in an olive oil based dressing....and perhaps a few eggs in it.....
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 19:02
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Why wouldn't I be losing like crazy with this deficit?

You might at first. But then your body decides that there is a famine going on. It will slow any non essential functions to make sure that there is enough energy for the esential ones. It will use as few calories as possible, storing what it can as fat in case the famine gets worse. It will also resist losing what precious fat stores it has.

Remember you need so many calories a day just to survive. Blood transfer, tissue regeneration, active cell transport, breathing, repairing muscle and vital organs, all of this takes energy a.k.a. calories. When you go to low your body gets to decide which of those aren't as important as the others
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 19:18

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

As I've mentioned in several threads, for about a month I wasn't losing at all. I then started using Fitday and realized that my calorie count was down around 1000 a day. I upped my calories (fat, mostly) and started losing again.

At your weight, you should be aiming for about 1600 calories a day. Under no circumstances go under 1200 regularly. (Once in a while won't kill you, but you don't want it to become a habit.)