Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 22:10

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Hi everyone! I did well this week - I actually exceeded my goal. I did my routine every other day, so Sat, Mon, Wed & today. On Monday, I added triceps extenions with a 2 lb weight in each hand. I could really feel it. Then, on Wednesday, I increased the weight on the curls from 2 lbs to 3 lbs. I still didn't feel like I was pushing myself enough, so I tried adding 1 more set of 15 with the 5 lb weights. That worked well, so today, I did my 3 sets of 15 curls with the 5 lb weights. That's the right level for me. Towards the end of the 3rd set, I could feel it in my left arm (my weaker arm since I'm right handed).

So, for next week, I'm going to continue doing my routine every other day, to include:
- WAP, 2 miles
- Curls, 3 sets of 15, 5 lb weights
- triceps extensions, 3 sets of 15, 2 lb weights per hand increasing to 3 lb weights per hand by the end of the week.

I also bought ankles weights, 1.5 lbs each. I may try them this week with the WAP, but I'm not sure if I'm really ready for that. So I am not going to commit to using them each time. I'll try it at least for part of the WAP to see how it goes. I'm concerned that my knees won't be able to handle that much. (I think it sounds funny to say that since I've lost quite a bit more weight than 1.5 lbs in my legs. )

I'm not going to add anything this week for extra credit. My plate is really full for the next few weeks. However, if I was going to add something, it would be to just add more cardio work on my off days from the exercise routine. Maybe more housework or maybe even shopping - something to get my body moving more. The benifit there is obvious - better health!

Keep up the great work everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 00:00

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

I got in all my walking this week but again only 1 gym workout. I have been doing a bit of calisthenics every morning for 10 minutes so that's better than nothing.

Extra Credit

The one little task I could add is to spend a few minutes organizing myself each day. Whether it is to plan meals better or to schedule exercise, I just need to get organized.

The long term benefits would be to my sanity. The more I try to do the more forgetful I get and it ends up causing me more work... and the cycle continues
  #213   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 00:31

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

I made my goal for the week. Got to the gym twice despite being sick and nursing a sore ankle. I even made it through 3 suppers out! So in all of that, I'm pretty happy! What I'm NOT happy about is the pound I gained! I didn't do anything differently this week and I'm up a pound! I just don't understand this whole thing! It gets kind of depressing that way at times. I'm trying not to let it get me down, but it is hard.

Next week, I would like to make it to the gym 3 times. I am going to try and increase the intensity on the eliptical trainer for at least part of the time.
  #214   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 06:36

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

I fell short of my goal this week - boooo. Only made it to the gym 2 times instead of the min. 3. On two days I did no extra exercise at all. For this next week, my goal is to get back on track with some type of exercise every day, even if it is just a short bike ride.

extra credit: to add something for me would be to get more organized. The better organized I am, the more I can get done including exercise.

I'm proud of how well everyone else is doing. You help inspire me to try more Thanks.

Marie
  #215   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 08:22

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

FAILED second week in a row!!! I didnt work out at ALL this past week!!!! I know excused dont count but I have been so so so tired this week. kids are sick during the night and my body is seriously out of whack...will have insurance next month and will get everything looked at finally!
  #216   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 17:15
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

I've been to the gym 3 times this week; twice I did extra exercises with weights and a stability ball. I've added some extra crunches at home, hoping to move some of the belly fat!

Extra credit: Limiting my computer time would be beneficial. I'll aim to be off the computer by 11:00 every night (well maybe at least 5 out of 7). By limiting the computer time, I would be moving around more, doing odd things around the house. The house would probably like that!
  #217   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 19:35
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I only got in three work-outs last week, not four which is my minimum goal. I swam laps one day, walked outside with my husband one day, and did the treadmill in my basement one night. My schedule just kind of got away from me last week -- I went up to visit my mother on Sunday (three hours each way, so that didn't leave time for exercise, but she was feeling unhappy about her first Valentine's Day since being widowed and needed some company), I had a meeting at my daughter's school one night, and I had a deadline at work and stayed late two nights. Sometimes weeks are just like that. On the plus side, no more joint problems -- my knees feel just fine.

I saw that some people were posting that they were having trouble getting to the gym. I finally bought a treadmill this winter and that has made all the difference in being able to get a work-out in when I am over scheduled. I strongly suggest buying a piece of exercise equipment or a DVD that will help you work-out at home for those times when you just can't get out. Having the treadmill in the basement has made a tremendous difference to me.
  #218   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:28

Stats: 277/241.4/140 Female 5'4"
BF:???/???/Healthy!
Progress: 26%

Hi all...

Week Five …

Goals
I'm setting my sights on the following:
Continue working out 5x per week. On alternate days, I will do my strength training + 45 minutes on the treadmill (3x/week). The other days will be treadmill only (2x/week). I would like to work my way up to 60 minutes on the treadmill on non-weight days.

Consider adding a different health related goal … trying to remember to take my vitamins EVERY day. I've started forgetting them waaay too often.

Extra Credit

If you were to add just one more tiny task, what would it be? My one more task would be to get all of my grading done before I go home each day.

What are the potential long term benefits of doing so? First, I would have less to do at home on the weekends. Second, I would get the papers back to my students more quickly. Finally, I would have an easier, less stressful time on grade days.

TTFN!!
  #219   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 07:09

Stats: 260/237/149 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Didn't exercise at all this week. My foot still hurts but was still hoping to do something that didn't involve too much activity on it.

Good news is that I made an appt. to see the podiatrist tomorrow afternoon. Usually I would have just let it go on this way for at least several more weeks but suddenly I heard all of your support and called. I'm so thankful for all the support that is here. I also would really like to try jogging outside by the spring or summer.

Realized that I continue to eat even when I'm not hungry even though I'm aware of while doing it. I graze all day. That's why you will never find a menu from me. It is wol food but too much. For my eating to truely be a life change, some things need to be realized and something done about it. The light bulb started to go on the other day. So now to the wonderful questions.

Goals
Where are you setting your sights this week? Are you going to maintain this level of activity or are you ready to take a small step towards increasing duration or intensity?
Do some sort of workout 3 X's this week

Extra Credit
If you were to add just one more tiny task,what would it be?
I have made a very detailed list of things to do around the house room by room - from putting some paperwork away to painting. What are the potential long term benefits of doing so? I will have something to do to keep my mind off of food. Whenever I go for the food I can look at the list that I have in each room and find something either time consuming to do or something that would take just a few minutes depending on the time I have. My house will start to get organized, I will be calmer and happier. My family reap the rewards of me being more peaceful. I will feel a sense of accomplishment. If there's less clutter in my life I can then start dealing with some underlying issues of why I have gotten to this point.

Blessings to all, Maureen
  #220   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 07:22
On my way to 200's

Plan: high protein low carb
Stats: 372.6/358/250 Female 5'5
BF:I've got that!
Progress: 12%

Sorry I havent posted in awhile but just wanted to check in. An update on my goals during the 3rd TDC fintness challenge.

I've already completed Goal #5 which was to attend an aquafitness class atleast 4 times during the challenge.

Goal # 10 - my water intake has gone up to 2-3 liters a day, with half the time spent in the bathroom.

I nixed Goals 4 & 10 which is using the recumbent bike for 20mins once a week and walking my dogs with my hubby once over the weekend.

Rather I have changed Goal # 1 by going to Curves 3x-4x vs. 2x a week
Goal # 2 spend at least 2x a week on the Eliiptical machine for one hour vs. once a week, and have added 2 more day at 45min.
  #221   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 10:33

Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hey everyone!

I'm back on track and feeling great! Caught up on sleep, kept the insomnia monster at bay, added a calcium, magnesium vitamin, and changed my multivitamin to one that includes iron - how can all those changes NOT leave me feeling great?

Back on track with exercise - in fact, getting ready to head out for a nice long hike today.

Goals this week
Get back into the swing of things! Exercise 3 x & do my 3 walks for the week.

Add one more tiny task
Hmm... tough one... probably my favorite thing about LC'ing is the extra energy has meant I've been so good about all my little housekeeping chores, cooking, etc.

I think my 1 tiny task would be to write AND MAIL a letter to my grandmother at least once a week - I love doing it, but I always seem to forget to mail the darn thing - there never seems to be time for me to walk over to the post office & send it before the news is old & I can't be bothered to send it at all! So from now on, I'm going to walk over to the post office once a week and mail my letter to her

Long term, not only would I feel good, but I know she loves getting letters from me, so it would make her feel good as well.
  #222   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 12:27
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins (restart 1/5/04)
Stats: 198/185/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi, everyone -
For the coming week, my goals will be changing depending on the outcome of the meeting on Monday with the Fitness Counselor at the Y. I should be starting some weight training at this part of the program, but I'm not sure what the structure will be yet.

I've been feeling kind of wiped out for quite a while after the workouts. I'm not sure whether that is good or bad. Maybe I need to tone them down just a hair so I can feel tired but invigorated? I'll have to experiment with that and see what difference it makes.

Extra Credit: Hmmm, one tiny thing I could add ... I would pick my clothes out for the next day before I went to bed. I tend to stress out about this in the morning. On the few nites that I do this, I always wake up "easier" because I don't have to figure out this first tough task of the day.
  #223   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 16:58

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Hello to all,
This weekend has been great for me walking. On Saturday went to the beach with dh & ds and walked bunches. Today went to Sewee Center (part of Cape Romain National Wildlife Refuge) and hiked the trails to see the Red Wolf exhibit. Then continued hiking around little lake area and back. Probably around 2 miles this afternoon. I even ran for short bursts playing with ds. He loved it - says I'm his Atkins mommy, faster than the average mommy!
Hope everyone has a great week.
Marie
  #224   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 18:01

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Ok, I have a question. How long after your workout do you still feel some soreness in your muscles? I'm not sure if that's what they mean by the "burn" or not. I did my routine around 8 hours ago and I can still feel it in the muscles in the top of my thighs. I don't feel it all in my arm muscles. Does this mean I'm doing the right amount of a work out for my legs, but maybe not enough on the arms?

Someday, I'll really understand all this.
  #225   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 19:08
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

diemde, I always seems to feel it more/longer in my legs then arms other then my last upper body workout cause the day after my shoulders were so sore that every time I moved my arms (or neck or anything) I was feeling it lol but anywho since starting weights my legs have stayed a little sore (and its been like almost two weeks now I guess)