Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:47

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%
Question what do you do?

wow went out for chinese tonight with friends, knew it was a bad idea to begin with...since you just never know what they put in it.

Tried beef n broccoli thinking this would be the best. knew immediatly there was sugar or something lurking in the sauce ...dumb me kept eating it!!

after...had that bloated like I ate a high carb meal feeling...also was very snacky wanted to eat every sweet in sight!!

Now know better..no chinese unless I cook it myself!!

now If I can just get through these cravings!!

What do you guys eat...when you have irresistable cravings? I wanted to grab every sweet thing in site!! settled for some peanuts...lol
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:52

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I eat pork rinds. The high fat in them kills any/all cravings, sweet or otherwise for me.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 20:55
Doctor Dirt

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218.2/195.0/145 Female 5'9"
BF:43.6%/31.0%/22.0%
Progress: 32%

Yeah, I have written Chinese food off my list. I've had too many "carb surprises" in those places. Unless they will steam my food, I won't do Chinese anymore.

Peanuts usually work for me. And cheese. And lots of moral support from the folks on this board.

Good luck!!

Jeannie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 21:21
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

I usually go for the almonds when i need a crunchy snack. however those TOM cravings DO require chocolate, so it's russel stovers low carb truffles, or similiar.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 22:38

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I like to have cheese or deviled eggs when I have cravings. Don't worry about the chinese food - this comes up for all of us. Make tomorrow a good day and hang in there!

Orchid
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 03:02
Northern Mike

Plan: This time? LOL..
Stats: 251/228/190 Male 73 inches
BF:Weight in journal
Progress: 38%

Diet Jello and whip cream (the good stuff in the can). Sweeet!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 14:31

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

look in the recipe forum for some ideas on sweet treats. I make the chocolate peanut butter cups--OMG!!!! At least this way you're not worrying about sugar alcohols, hidden carbs, etc. Otherwise, I just try to ignore them, get busy with something (including this forum) and drink lots of water!

Nicole
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 14:38

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

the very best thing for ME isd to keep busy! but thats not always possible ...at least the out fo house kind of busy, so I usually have carb countdown choc milk and a handful of walnuts.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 15:21
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 216/177/145 Female 5ft 4in.
BF:
Progress: 55%

Chinese is my absolute weakness! Evan if I try to stick with dishes that don't seem to have carbs, you know there in there somewhere! I have to stay away! Not that I don't cheat with it from time to time!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 17:39

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I just can't do any Chinese food unless I make it ! Eating it out even being real careful puffs me up for a few days!!

To curve cravings, just guzzle lots of water !
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 18:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

When you order it, order it without sauce. Or at least ask them if they make the sauce fresh and can leave out sugar, starch and msg. You'll still get some msg from the soy sauce, but maybe not as bad.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 20:46

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

I tried Chinese again last night myself. It totally threw me off, even thought I tried to be careful. Hate that!

My favorite "must have something or die" treat to keep me on track is the LC SF hot chocolate--Swiss Miss only has 3 carbs. That cup of chocolate lasts a long while, and all the liquid fills me up and I can get over the craving.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 21:12

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I eat sunflower seeds cuz it takes a LONG time to eat them if you're taking all the little shells off.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 21:17
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

If you love chinese, there is always homade. For going out, check if there is a mongolian grill in your area. Soemtimes regular chinese buffets may have these added. Basically you choose your own fillings from a buffet style line of meats, veggies, and noodles. Then you choose your own sauces. Some are high carb, but others are simple oils with spice. Then right in front of you they stir fry it up on a gient metal surface. It's a great way to make sure you know for the most part what is going into your meal, and has a great asian taste. Plus you really do get a ton of food cheap, at least the places I've been too.

Authentic chinese is also very different. I had to laugh when I heard an Australian friend talking about chat chinese food there was. They really do change to meet local tastes. Authentic asian foods have a huge bowl of veggies, some meat if your lucky, and starches are for the poor. Some resteraunts if you order a chinese serving of veggies, it is 5 times what am american serving would be. I think the high sugar sauces are also mostly for western tastes. Asian coooking focuses highly on balancing tastes. It has small portions artistically aranged with some sour, sweet, and spicy flavores mixed. Much more gormet, and probably all around healthier then what we shovel up