Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 09:48
Registered Member

Plan: Charles Clark
Stats: 295/211/196 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Alcohol Question

Sincere apologies if this has already been posted and answered (I just don't have the time to plough all the way back through the old threads). Having given up Stella (it was hard but I'm over it now) I'm wondering about my other favourite tipple... Baileys Liquer.

I know spirits are allowed in the diet but does this drink qualify as a spirit? I'm not talking about drinking gallons of the stuff but it it's a 'no-no' then I'll just keep on giving it a miss.

Any help/advice would be most gratefully apreciated.

Solaris

PS ~ If anyone is interested... I can thoroughly recommend the Keto breakfast cereals which are now available in the UK. Truly delicious and a great way to start the day... I'm hooked on them!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 09:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/208/182 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Don't think its really the type of alcoholic drink you have its more to do with the Alcohol itself.

Alcohol does something (can't remember what) to your blood sugar and your body uses it for energy in a completely different way to how it uses fat for energy.

At least I think thats basically it.

As for your cereals, what do you have them with ?? or are they dry cereals you just have...umm dry...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 11:41
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

From http://www.baileys.co.uk/Baileys/openFAQ.do

3. What are the Nutritional Values of Baileys Original Irish Cream?
A. The Following is the nutritional table for a 37ml/37g/1.3oz serving of Baileys Original Irish Cream:

Baileys Nutritional Information, per 37g serving

* There are 28.4 kcalories per 1 gram of fat.
* Fat: 5.8g
* Saturated Fats: 3.5g
* Cholesterol: 0.136g
* Sodium:0.033g
* Dietary Fibre: 0g
* Total Carbohydrate: 7.4g
* Alcohol: 5.2g
* Protein: 1.2g
* Fibre: NA Calories: 117 kcal
* Sugar Content: 20%
* Fat Content: 15%
* Calories(kcal/100g): 350

So.... even though it has 7g/ 37ml serving, it's 20% sugar, so that's likely to hit your blood sugar level very hard and very fast.

Plus all the advice that ukmatt gives; it's dangerous to consume alcohol while in ketosis, and your body will burn alcohol for fuel in preference to anything else (eg your stored body fat!)

ukmatt the Keto cereals (I assume Solaris means available mail order, not in a supermarket... if it's in a supermarket, get onto the supermarket sticky thread and tell us when where and how much! ) are like ready-brek type stuff.... you mix with boiling water and put in some cream or butter or whatever if you want. I got the plain flavour the other week and it's really good for a quick breakfast.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 16:16
Registered Member

Plan: Charles Clark
Stats: 295/211/196 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 85%

Thanks guys - info appreciated... gonna leave the Baileys off the list... just thought it might be one little luxury I could indulge!

Sorry for any misunderstanding about the Keto cereals... I too get them mail order and they are very much like Ready Brek... superb if anyone is getting a bit tired of eating meat, cheese or eggs for breakfast. I was always a porridge fan anyway!

Keto Cereals available in UK

Thanks again folks - this is a great website and it's amazing to see how many people are waking up to the good news!

Solaris
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 07:25

Stats: 231/210/147 Female 5' 8'
BF:35%
Progress: 25%

Umm.., why is drinking alcohol dangerous in ketosis?
I've been treating myself to the odd glass of wine or vodka and slimline at the weekend. Am I likely to have done myself any damage?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 11:38

BF:

A quick google finds this (I'm just googling, I don't know for sure - I haven't drank alcohol for years so haven't researched it in LC at all) :- http://www.sun.ac.za/med_physbio/me...ept/ketosis.htm

Quote:
DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!

Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.

A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.

Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 11:42

BF:

Like I say, that might be nonsense, I don't know. It might be a good idea to have a search of the forum, or for someone who knows for sure wether there's any definite problems of ketosis + alcohol.... it was just something I'd heard.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 13:17
Registered Member

Plan: High Protein/GI Diet
Stats: 170/147/145 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 92%

This is what Atkins says:

You should not drink alcohol during Induction, but you can drink moderate amounts of alcohol during the Ongoing Weight Loss, Pre-Maintenance and Lifetime Maintenance phases of the Atkins Nutritional ApproachTM. When given the choice, your body will burn alcohol for energy before it burns fat. But alcohol does not act as a carbohydrate so it will not interfere with burning fat in the same way that sugars and other carbohydrates do.
Alcohol consumption may also increase yeast-related symptoms, such as bloating, gas and cravings for sweets, and can therefore interfere with weight loss. Beer, which contains yeast, probably has the most yeast-forming components of any alcohol. An occasional glass of wine or vodka is the best choice. Scotch and other grain-based spirits are more likely to promote yeast problems.

So basically, in ketosis avoid the booze and after that be aware that while you are boozing you ain't losing!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 07:06

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

The booze question is an old perennial. Many people find that when they have stalled that cutting out alcohol is what gets them losing again.

Just remember that alcohol has a lot of calories and energy ones at that. So your body uses them up first before it returns to your fat cells. Drink in moderation, but not to excess.