Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 15:21

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 170/134/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default too many veggies?

Hey everyone,
After you guys getting after me for not eating any veggies in my daily induction menu, I ran to the grocery store, bought some green leaf lettuce, spinach, and cabbage. Though now I feel as if I'm eating TOO many vegtables a day and this might stall me. Has this happened to any of you guys while on induction? I read the Atkins "Induction part" on the website and he says no more than a cup of the spinach/cabbage a day. The nutrition info on the frozen spinach packages I bought says 3 grams per 1/3 cup of spinach and 2 grams comes from dietary fiber. I've eaten the entire package (which really isnt that much when you cook it up with butter!), which is basically a cup and a little more. I also eat those Big leaves of green lettuce around a hamburger patty. I probably eat maybe 4 BIG leaves of the green lettuce a day! (It really does seem like a lot of lettuce, I really dont know how much 1 serving of this stuff would be!) I've cut back on cheese and try eat more high fat foods, frying chicken in butter, for instance, instead of the cheese. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. First, do you think I'm eating too many veggies and could this possibly stall me? Second, I feel like I'm always cooking stuff in butter. I go through butter so fast! Do you think I need to cut down on my fat? I feel like I'm eating too much fat! Dont feel right about all this! =(
Love,
Brittany
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 15:29

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

well the first thing that jumps out is the whole package of frozen spinach. you are sapposed to measure it before its cooked. so 1 cup or cooked is about 3 cups of fresh. just something to keep in mind.

Also you dont have much weight to lose so it will be slower then others who have 50 or 100 to lose remember 10% wieght loss on induction and 5% each moth after so keep that in mind. so you had 20 pounds to lose and 10% of that would be 2 pound on inducrtion and 1 pound each month after and so far you have lost 6 pounds so you are doing great.

Plus most people have a slow down during the 3rd week on this diet so that is normal.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 15:38

BF:

Thanks for the reply and info. I'm still a lil confused on the fresh vs. frozen count. I took the nutrition info from the back of the frozen spinach package. Is this information based on initally fresh spinach? Thanks a bunch.

Brittany
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 15:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Get yourself a free account at fitday.com and plug in all you eat each day.

If at the end of the day you are eating a breakdown of approximately 70%fat, 25% protien and 5 % carbs, you are doing FINE. Although everyone calls Atkins a low carb diet or high protein diet (it's not), what it actually is is a HIGH FAT diet.

Try to do a low fat version and it won't work well. After years of being preached the low fat message, it's very hard and very scary to change your thinking. Have faith. It works and it doesn't damage your body. Quite the opposite. This is the way people used to eat before heart disease reared its ugly head in our society.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 15:53

BF:

Thanks for your adivice and encouragment! It really helps to have everyone on this forum doing this together. =) The only thing that bugs me about fitday.com (I did set up an account) is that they dont subtract the dietary fiber. For instance, that cup of spinach was calculated as 11 carbs when at the same time dietary fiber is 6.12. At the end of the day looking at my carb count, I end up going way over if I use fit day's calculations. It's still a very nice feature, I just wish it subtracted that fiber. I know its no big deal subtracting that myself, but when I look at my overall pie chart for the day its hard to read actual results.
Brittany
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 16:11
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I'm pretty sure no one ever got fat by eating too much lettuce.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 16:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Yes...it's a pain to see those carbs listed when in fact you have to subtract out the fiber. The breakdown figures are not exact either. They are rounded up.

What I do is go to goals and ask it to track specifically fiber and carbs. Then at days end I go to report and ask it to check my custom goals. There I will find the exact amounts of carbs and fiber for the day and I can just subtract them.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 16:36

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Hi Brit,

I can't remember who showed me on fitday, but if you look at the chart at the top middle called Calories Eaten Today it shows the grams and percents, fiber is listed directly below carbs. Just subtract the fiber from the carbs and there you have it. I can't figure out how to post a picture of it here, but hopefully this will help you.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 16:41

BF:

OK, I will try that Cindy. I'd like to continue and really, honestly do the fitday. It keeps me organized with what I'm eating. And...You guys are great. Thanks for reading and replying to all my questions. I feel like I sound "whiny" or overly picky about what I'm eating. Thanks for taking the time to read through all my (I feel like they are stupid) questions and giving me honest replies! It does help me out alot! I hope to return the favor in the future to whomever needs advice/or encouragement!

Brittany
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 23:12
Registered Member

Plan: world domination
Stats: 321/245/220 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilary M
I'm pretty sure no one ever got fat by eating too much lettuce.

yeah but the dressing will kill ya
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 01:47

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

There are a lots of 'might's and 'could's in your post. Until you are stalled I wouldn't try to fix it. People don't get fat by eating spinach, lettuce etc. Butter is possibly the best fat you could use for frying. Indians use it all the time.