Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Do you limit your intake of saturated fat?
Yes, saturated fat makes me nervous 10 8.26%
No, I eat a combination of all fats and pay no particular attention to saturated over others 87 71.90%
Not particularly, but I try and keep it on the low side 19 15.70%
I eat more saturated fat than I used to, but it cant be all that good for you 5 4.13%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

#16   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 13:29

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I don't really pay attention to saturated fats. But then again, I don't eat any red meat, so I probably don't have a lot of it in my diet. And my husband eats all meat and then some, and he doesn't keep track of saturated fats either. We did cut out trans fats (at least the obvious ones that we know about).

~Kelly Deneen
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 13:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 246/219/195 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I make popsicles out of lard....No I'm kidding, but I don't watch sat. fat.
I eat mostly red meat, I'm still losing and feel great. Just haven't seen anything to convince me to worry about yet.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:57
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
1/4 to a 1/2 a cup of heavy cream daily? wow, if you dont mind my asking, what is your ratio?

Once in a while I have half a cup of cream and that always throws my ratio out of whack.

I don't do the FitDay thing consistently, but when I have, I hover around 70%.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 08:28
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%
Default why watch saturated fats?

I never watch my saturated fats. If anything, I watch my intake of vegetable oils. Why? Think about it just a moment. For how much of human history have we derived any significant portion of our fat from corn or soybeans(or the highly toxic rape plant from which canola oil is extracted)? Less than one hundred years, my friends.
During this same time period, carbohydrate and trans-fat consumption also increased dramatically, along with the rates of degenerative disease. So who is to say that all three of these new additions to our diet don't work together to kill us?
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 09:10

Plan: Carb Cycling
Stats: 188/173/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I love this board! Thanks Idahospud for the article on fats. I saved it to show the "doubters" in my family. But slowly, everyone is coming around. I just read an article in the Ladies Home Journal about women and heart health and it said nothing about limiting fat intake, but it talked about weaning yourself off of high-glycemic foods. It did mention caution about fried foods (not because of the breading, but because of the oils oxidizing into damaging free radicals at high temps).
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 10:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Question Mio.......

Mio........

Perhaps I'm a little slow this morning, but I'm not at all clear on what you're saying about vegetable oils. You mention soybean and Canola oil. Are you also say that olive oil is not good for you? This is the very first I've heard about vegetable oil being a negative health issue. Can you lead me to some literature to back this up? I'm not arguing the point, I'm just saying I've studied health for many years (including writing a health and fitness column for our local newspaper) and I've never heard this before. Maybe I misunderstood.

Thanks.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 11:14

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Oil

Has any one tried the new Oil Out? Called Envoa?/ It is great
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 16:55
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/oiling.html

I think thats the page that discusses the dangers of Veg oils but its actually all over the weston a price website along with many others.

Olive oil isnt bad in moderation but canola or corn oil I avoid totally.

I am starting to use more and more butter in my diet now
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 20:26

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

Yes, since I got a very poor lipid profile I´ve decided to watch it.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 07:53

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I believe this is Women's Heart Month. There is a grocery store that is advertizing low carb alternatives, that it carries, in support of Women's Health month. The store, of course is just trying to keep its head above water. As you might know, many Southern CA grocers are on strike. However, I found it interesting that this was listed among items that contributed to a healthy heart.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 09:42

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Question I dunno

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/oiling.html

I think thats the page that discusses the dangers of Veg oils but its actually all over the weston a price website along with many others.

Olive oil isnt bad in moderation but canola or corn oil I avoid totally.

I am starting to use more and more butter in my diet now

I read it all (and that took forever ), but can't say I saw anything about oil in its original form being bad for you. Hydrogenated oils, yes, because of the trans fats. Olive oil (according to my hubby's cardiologist and endogronologist) is very heart healthy; which is what I've heard all my life.

I use both olive oil and butter but nothing else. You can also find literature on how butter is not good for you. I don't agree (in moderation) that it is, but you can still find literature which says it is.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: If you read everything out there, you'll find that every food in the world is bad for you; according to one person or another.

I've used olive oil for years (in great quantitites) and my last lipid test was perfect. So I guess we're just back to everyone is different. I still say....moderation, moderation, moderation is the key to health (and regular exercise). JMO

Thanks for the link.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 21:33

Stats: 144/117/115 Female 5' 3.5
BF:
Progress: 93%

Kristine wrote, "olive oil doesn't taste as good as butter..."
Here's a secret to great tasting veggies, meats, and eggs: saute them in equal amounts of butter and olive oil combined. (smootching my fingers, like a French chef!)

I don't pay attention to where my fats come from. I usually have a salad everyday with vinaigrette dressing made with olive oil, and fry my eggs, and saute meats in the above combo of fats. Tonight I really enjoyed my sauted lamb chop with Greek seasoning and mint relish. Ate it, fat and all. How satisfying!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 10:51

Plan: anti-fungal, atkins
Stats: 165/125/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 100%

I was so into chicken and turkey and white meats that adding back the butter and the red meat was hard, but I felt so much better and more energized after!