Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 13:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/210/175 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default What about all the new low-carb stuff?

I was just wondering if anyone has tried any of the new low-carb bars or candy. I know the Russell St. has a new line of candy that is supposed to be low in carbs. I am in the Induction period, and I have only tried the Atkins Advantage bar, and I have decided not to use them anymore until I see a major weight loss.
After Induction, do the cravings die down? I am a sweet nut! I guess that is part of my problem. Late night eating is also a problem of mine. I got into the habit when getting up for Emma's late night bottle! TERRIBLE!!! What was I thinking? Breaking habits is all part of the game! I just need a little boost now and then.
Leslie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 13:37
California Dreamin

Stats: 230/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:too/darn/much
Progress: 100%

Lesessary...
I haven't tried the candy, but do occasionally have the Atkins bars...Some people feel even those slow the weight loss process down...so far, I haven't had a problem with that..
I know what you mean about being a "sweet nut"...Me too!! To answer your question about the cravings...yes, they do decrease with LCing..I don't crave nearly the sweets that I did before...Also, I feel my hunger is much more satisfied now...
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 13:42

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

The thing that i find sneaky about Russell Stover is yes, they brought out the new 'low carb' candy, but it is almost 50% more money than their 'sugar free' candy, but it is the same product. Only the packaging is different. I think the sugar free products are very good (for after induction) but i wouldn't waste your money on the 'low carb' ones...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 13:54

Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

The cravings do die down if you don't feed them.

Being an ex smoker, I understand all too well about physical cravings, versus emotional or psychological cravings.

If there is nicotine in my body I experience physical cravings. For a while even after the nicomonster has left, I still experienced physical cravings but more and more the emotional ones took over. I could smoke a herbal cigarette now and get no nicotine but OMG I would destroy my success. The whole process of placing white stick in mouth, lighting it and inhaling would take me right back to square one.

Same with chocolates and sweets. For me, to eat LC chocolate would only prolong the need for sweet things and then I'm not sure the cravings for sweet would ever depart. So I don't.

But, having said that, if I were gripped by a terrible craving and gave in, I'd much rather have given in with an LC chocolate than a real one.

But for the purposes of induction, stay away from all that stuff if you can. You are much too vulnerable right now to be adding "friendly" foods back in that could ruin resolve. Just stick to the cleanest induction you can.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 14:08
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 174/150/125 Female 5 foot 3
BF:
Progress: 49%

I love the Atkins breakfast cereal- totally acceptable for induction with only 3 net carbs. It is really filling, quick and easy. You can also eat it as a snack.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 14:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
totally acceptable for induction with only 3 net carbs

Alot of people find that any Lc products, no matter what the net carbs claim, can stall them out on induciton. Sticking to whole foods that are on the induction list really helps the weight to come off.

The russle stover and other chocolates contain sugar alcohols. For some that can mean alot of painful bloating and gas, not to mention a laxative effect. For others thier body reacts just like they ate normal sugar. Others have no problem with them. If you want to try them, start slow and just have one overy few days. Watch for cravings, gas, or other side effects.

The cravings do go away, but not if you keep feeding them. If you can manage to do 2 weeks with no sweets or LC products and a "clean induction" then they can go away (sometimes hidden sugars can make them linger and should be rooted out). L-Glutamine is suposed to help reduce cravings for sugary things.

If you do need sweets later, why no check out all the recipes in the recipe section on here. Homade is usually a better way to control carbs and get away form sugar alcohols.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 14:16
Registered Member

Stats: 200.5/190.5/140 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 17%

I don't crave the sweets as much as I did for the first week or so, but I still need them every once in a while. The other night while DH was asleep, I snuck out and bought some sugar free chocolate. It made me want more. So, I'm trying to resist further cravings...It does get a little easier...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:41

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have had SF candy a few times. The first couple of times it tasted great but after that it didn't taste very good to me. I think my tastes changed quite a bit and even the SF seemed too sweet, and had a metallic aftertaste. All also burned out on Carb Solutions bars really quickly and haven't tried any other bars.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 18:01

Plan: non strict Atkins - don't
Stats: 160/129/132 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress: 111%

I only like Carblite and RS chocolates the others are ewww!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 18:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 141/138/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

When i stalled on the products, a did a bit of research. You might find these at least interesting. One is entitled "Net Carbs?Net Lies", the other "CSPI Urges Crackdown on Carb Claims".

http://www.lowcarbdietrecipe.com/netcarbs.html

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200402021.html
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 18:44
Registered Member

Stats: 337/337/200 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Both those sites never mention fiber, which doesn't even get digested, they should have because thats (in my opinion) the only carbs you can subtract
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 19:30

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I thank God for Russell Stover's Pecan Delights. They were my Mother's Day present last year. Even though they are sugar-free they are still junk so I only ate one a day until they were all gone. The boxed candies are better than th bagged ones ( I am an expert ). Ummm, I can taste those Delights right now.I recommend that you have some kind of control before trying any goodies because they can goof things up for you.

Black57