Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 12:39

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%
Question Question about feeling cold and muscle usage

I have had a problem for a while with my right arm getting colder than the rest of me. I always thought it was from being on the computer/mouse too much since I'm on here a lot (work all day on the computer, then on the net at night). However, I'm now wondering if there's more to it than that.

I am very right handed, so use this arm for everything. My right arm is constantly in motion and is actually thinner than my left arm. My wright wrist is 1/2 inch smaller than my left wrist to give you an example. And it's way out of proportion to the rest of my body (-31.07 on the Somatogram). I'm wondering if the muscles in my right arm are in use so much that the glycogen just can't get built back up. And if so, would that contribute to the coldness?

I eat between 25-40 carbs per day and pretty much meet or exceed all of the nutrients I need per fitday. I do take vitamins and minerals. I just added zinc to try to combat the coldness. And just yesterday started using coconut oil to see if that would help. I haven't taken any glutamine because I'm not really doing extensive strength training...yet.

I have started working out...using the Walk Away the Pounds video doing 2 miles every other day since December. And have just recently added a couple of arm exercises with 2 lb weights (curls, extensions). I know I need to do more, but I'm getting there by building up to it. My arm is not cold right after finishing my exercise routine.

Any suggestions or theories about how I might solve this coldness? Last night I put a heating pad on that arm and it helped, but I want to find the root cause and fix it. Caring for the symptom is helping, but I can't always use the heating pad. Thanks for your suggestions!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 13:57

Plan: Hypoallergenic diet
Stats: 117/112/- Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Dianne! You may want to see someone about it, if only to rule out things like lymph malfunction or something. Maybe sitting or lying with your arm raised could help with drainage, if that's the problem, but I do recommend having a qualified professional take a look at it, in case it's a sign of something serious.

My right hand tends to get pretty cold from being at the mouse for a long time, but I haven't noticed my whole arm chilling.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-04, 14:42

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Thanks for your response Alopex. I just had a complete physical in September and everything was fine. I didn't think at that time to specifically ask this question. I think it's related to eating low carbs and it being winter now and so much colder outside. So back in September I never noticed it as much...

Any other ideas? Thanks.