Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-23-03, 14:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/269/199 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 17%
Smile Low Carbing Food in London Ontario

This has been a hard adjustment from pasta, potatos and bread, to meat cheeze and veggies. But the pounds are peeling off so I'm sticking to it.
Here are some of the foods I have found, (some thanks to this forum....) just putting them all in one place to make it easier for the next low carber. Respond with anything I've missed.

-Diet Crush :creamsoda, orange, and rootbear with SPLENDA!! find at a lot of corner variety stores. Only in cans so far.
-Pork Rinds... took me a while to find them, the A&P guy didn't approve I think of a fat guy looking for deep fried pig fat.... oh well found them at my corner store.
-Armstrong naturally aged Chedder cheeze with 0 carbs at walmart!! made by saputo in quebec. Reasonable price for a big block too.
-Jello Light Unfortunatly with asparatame... but 0 carbs for a good desert.
-Haven't looked yet but apparently Gibralter weekend market has Beef Jerky with no suger.... will need to check that out.
-Sugerless Dentyne Coolmint and cinamon gum with splenda from walmart
-Atkins Endulge butter cups at S&H health! damn they're good, for some allowable 'cheating'.
-And once I'm off induction, both walmart and shoppers drugmart have chocolate bars with no suger. Splenda, and maltol sweetened look in vitamin section, and in the diabetic area at walmart.
-Apparently Walmart has the Ketone test strips for about $9 still gotta get some of those. You may need to ask the pharmasist though.

AND WHEN YOU WANT TO EAT OUT
-Swiss Chalet chicken, no carbs, even with the skin
for a side just pick the carrots out (if on induction) of the garden salad and choose the creamy garlic peppercorn ranch dressing. Nutrition guide available if you ask at takeout counter.
-Mongolian Grill. An all you can eat hip restraunt, All the grilled meat and veggies you choose, stir fryed with the oil and spices you pick... and the best part is ALL YOU CAN EAT! just leave the rice and fajita's and eat it from the bowl with chopsticks. I asked for some sort of caffine free diet pop, but not available.... really should phone fax or e-mail a request... maybe some diet crush creamsoda.... because they're almost a perfect low carbers restraunt.

NEED HELP THOUGH
- I don't yet own a bread maker, but may buy one. I really want a low carb bread receipe that will make good, regular size bread. Got the atkins baking mix, but it just didn't rise. So I got very dense bread almost cake like in density... it's just not the same you can't make a sandwich with that.
-Anyone know where to find nitrate free, and suger free bacon in London? Or anywhere in Ontario for that matter?.... may just need to find a butcher in town is my guess.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 12:52

Plan: Personal
Stats: 225/212/205 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hey Cwells! I've been living in London for the past year, and LC'ing for almost 3 months now.

For pork rinds, I go to Bulk Barn. The one at Masonville has the best selection (3 different flavours), and at 99 cents a bag, it's pretty good! Loblaws carries pork rinds as well, but they sell for $2.50 a bag!

WalMart carries EAS Carb Control shakes, and they're really good!! 4g of carbs per shake, they're perfect for a quick breakfast. I usually add some whipping cream to thicken it up.

Do you have a Costco membership? That's a great place for some LC foods. They've got these great chicken wings, Pinty's Buffalo Wings, less than 1g of carbs per 100g (about 3-4 wings). They've got a great taste to them, and they're quite meaty. Costco is also great for cream, spinach, lettuce, cheese, any kind of meat, bacon, hamburgers, and also vitamins and supplements... I load up my freezer everytime I go. The membership is $50 a year I think, but if you're LC'ing, it might be well worth it.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the Ketostix. As long as you're eating the right stuff and losing weight, you know you're in ketosis. The sticks aren't even that accurate and can show you as being not in ketosis when really you are.

I'm moving to the GTA at the end of the week, but all the stores are pretty much the same. Keep me posted if you find any deals!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-27-03, 17:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 218/205/188 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%

If you know where to get Diet Root Beer or Grape with Splenda in London I would love that information...

Cab
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-03, 17:09

Stats: 260/235/135 Female 5' 8"
BF:57%
Progress: 20%

Nitrate free bacon...Hmmmmmm
I am still not sure where to get this, was thinking of just going to the Farmers market and looking around there, surely they would have it. I don't think the Mennonites but such stuff in there...but will find out.

I live in Guelph, and having a difficult time finding Pork rinds...I finally did, and attempted the chicken fingers tonight..mmmmmmm...delicious.
Guess I will have to go to Kitchener's Bulk barn to get more.

Never thought of Costco for anything...and I do so LOVE my chicken wings. Thanks Joe for the tip!!

Anyways, just thought I would pop around and see who is who here in Ontario, and say HI!!

So....HI guys...
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-02-03, 06:18

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 135/130/125 Female 5 feet, 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I've been searching for low-carb food here, mostly unsuccessfully! I'm glad I found these posts...very helpful. People in the health food stores have been telling me that the other Atkin's products are illegal here. Go figure. Anyway, thanks for the information. Time to shop!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 16:15

Stats: 210/180/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 46%

keely 99 try zellers for the pork rinds, in with the potato chips, go figure, really cheap, also Zehrs and Knechtels have them. However watch the price I have seen them as cheap as 99 a bag and as much as 2.50 for the same size bag in a different store. I find any atkins stuff that is available at health food stores is really expensive. So as a result I bought Dana Carpenters 500 low carb recipes and get many more from lo carb web sites. The closer I eat to real food the easier it is for me.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 14:04

Stats: 205/191/165 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 35%

I've been eating Hunt's Juicy Gels (basically single serving jello in a cup). Get the sugarless variety from A&P or Walmart in London. Two flavours are available - Strawberry and Orange. They are sweetened with Splenda and contain 1g Carb per Cup. They taste great.

Those and pork rinds are getting me thru induction. Hope that helps.

Great thread - keep posting!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 19:43

Stats: 240/208/190 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

To all:
I just came back from
Herc's Nutrition Shop
519-471-2742
260 Blue Forest Drive, (Sarnia and Wonderland Rd)London, ON
they have quite a few low carb items although it seems like a muscle shop. I found the store is clearing out of a few items at half price. Ie. o'so-Lo low carb sandwich rolls... 3 carbs per serving, several flavours at $2.00 per box including sourdough. ... also has some pudding mixes at 1/2 price too. There were a few other goodies I can't recall. If you're grocery shopping I would check it out before they are all gone. The guy mentioned a lady came in yesterday, when she heard the rolls were on at $2.00 a box of 4 she bought 20 boxes. Burgers are just better tasting with the bun.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-24-04, 19:53

Stats: 240/208/190 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

by the way... although I am new, I think I started out at 240 and went down to 200 I have been off it for a while. A tight size 38" to a loose size 34" jean. I am still hovering between 208 and 212 without trying. I cut out the 3 sugars in my coffee, cut out the obvious potatoes, rice, pasta, bread etc and moved over to a low carb beer. Molson ultra beats Labbat stirling and sleeman clear for taste and alcohol content hands down. I am back at it for a few more pounds but am trying to act as a coach for my wife. She likes the bargain shopping low carb food info so keep it comming. She is a sucker for sweets.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-27-04, 14:26
Registered Member

Stats: 260/243.5/150 Female 5ft 6in
BF:too much!
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmb
o'so-Lo low carb sandwich rolls... 3 carbs per serving, several flavours at $2.00 per box including sourdough. ... The guy mentioned a lady came in yesterday, when she heard the rolls were on at $2.00 a box of 4 she bought 20 boxes. Burgers are just better tasting with the bun.

I've got those buns and they taste TERRIBLE! I just thought I'd give a heads up. They don't have the consistency or texture, nor the smell or taste anything close to being real buns, and IMO they're not worth even $2. I've tried sourdough and the original.