Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:08

Plan: SB
Stats: 165/130/110 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default stomach fat--what gives!?!

So, a ton of threads and posts concern stomach fat and how its so hard to loose/the last thing to go.... i know i'm pretty close to my goal weight and yet still have a flabby stomach that won't seem to go away no matter how many crunches I do! I guess its all genetic--where you build fat, where you loose it, and i know you can't spot reduce fat and all those arguments....but here's my question. How come all the South Beach diets say belly fat is the first to go??? Have most people on Atkins lost belly fat first or last and can SBD really get rid of belly fat(though i don't think i'd abandon atkins)...just wondering, what gives?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275.0/220.0/185.0 Male 72.5 inches
BF:??%/25.7%/??%
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustycat
So, a ton of threads and posts concern stomach fat and how its so hard to loose/the last thing to go.... i know i'm pretty close to my goal weight and yet still have a flabby stomach that won't seem to go away no matter how many crunches I do! I guess its all genetic--where you build fat, where you loose it, and i know you can't spot reduce fat and all those arguments....but here's my question. How come all the South Beach diets say belly fat is the first to go??? Have most people on Atkins lost belly fat first or last and can SBD really get rid of belly fat(though i don't think i'd abandon atkins)...just wondering, what gives?!
No matter how many crunches, butt exercises, etc... that someone does, you can only tone those muscles. A fitness video that I have states it this way: you cannot spot fat reduce. The first place where fat will be burned is the last place that your body stored it. It's the LIFO method!!! For all non-accounting or business majors: Last In, First Out. I don't see how SBD can make that claim.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:24
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I think SBD might be full of you-know-what. I have heard that Pilates is great for toning your stomach and shaping your body, but I haven't tried it myself.

And sixpence, thanks for that painful reminder of Accounting II, aka My Least Favorite Class Ever. :-)
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:27
Registered Member

Stats: 215/185/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:21%/11%/10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpence
No matter how many crunches, butt exercises, etc... that someone does, you can only tone those muscles. A fitness video that I have states it this way: you cannot spot fat reduce. The first place where fat will be burned is the last place that your body stored it. It's the LIFO method!!! For all non-accounting or business majors: Last In, First Out. I don't see how SBD can make that claim.

That must be why the last 10 pounds is so hard to get rid of, that fat has probably been around for decades and it's dug in real good!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:30

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I'm so glad to hear this!!! This belly of mine WILL go away...it will just be the last to go! Thank you Thank you Thank you for asking this question....and for the answers.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

I do pilates 3 times a week for 30 min and it does give you amazing abs... to bad mine are hidden under all this fat!
pilates mat woork is all ab and but work so give it a try its very easy and relaxing , kind of like yoga meets arobics
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 15:39

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Yep I agree, the tummy fat is the last! Even after reaching my goal I still had a little pouch, shall we say, LOL
However, It is pretty much gone now, and I think it was because of my Physio therapy I had for my knee, some of the exercises involved stomach muscles. I'm going to have to watch it cause, even thou I have returned to work I'm on light dutie which involves no lifting.That was my work out prior to my knee injury.
Even thou my tummy is pretty much flat now, my weight has not changed, so I'd have to say it is the toning that got rid of it. :>)

Cheers Kathy
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 16:00

Plan: IF & atkinish
Stats: 191/180.1/150 Female 5' 8
BF:
Progress: 27%

I found that my butt was the first thing to go, which happened to be the first to get fat, my legs were second, which was also second to get fat, and my stomach is coming in third, which..well you get it. My chest was the last to get bigger, so I think that this will be my toughest area to lose, but I like the big boobs with the newer smaller body.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 16:22

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

When you first start to lose fat, you are really losing it all over, although you wouldn't be able to tell unless you took all your measurements, everywhere, when you first started LCing. IMHO, if you are exercising and toning those lower ab muscles, you will see a difference, but by the time to get close to goal you are going to "see" the results of genetics, age, gender and childbearing. But you know what? So what if I have a little pooch below my waistline? I can live with that...a heck of a lot better than the huge bulge from my breastbone to the top of my thighs! I am going to focus on how much better I look now than I did before lc'ing. But I do understand how a younger person would feel...and you have my sympathy! I worried about not having a "flat" stomach when I weighed 120 and hadn't had children! What I didn't realize I "wanted" was a concave lower abdomen .!

Last edited by FromVA : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 16:24.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 17:49

Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

looking at your stats, i can't see how you have too much to lose! gosh, i'd love to have those stats!!

listen to everyone on the board -- they have good advice!!

but as you can't spot reduce -- i'd suggest upping the cardio. or do like, 45 minutes with 20 minutes of intense cardio in the middle.

that's generally what the bodybuilding gurus do -- and i know they generally have a six pack!!

but good luck -- i know it's hard to believe, but you'll get there in time -- i promise!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 19:19

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

"but as you can't spot reduce -- i'd suggest upping the cardio. or do like, 45 minutes with 20 minutes of intense cardio in the middle. that's generally what the bodybuilding gurus do -- and i know they generally have a six pack"

flynnlynn: First, unfortunately, are men and women are built differently and men can achieve this look faster, but it is just like LC'ing...a WOL. Women can achieve somewhat the same look but your body/fat ratio has to be extremely low. It is a trememdous amount of work and you have to be committed to it. The average woman with an normal active life would find it very difficult to achieve and maintain unless she made it the most important thing in her life. And it takes lots of time in the gym, not an extra 20 mins or so of intense cardio. It is great for someone who loves that sort of thing...I've looked into it and, frankly, it isn't for me!

Last edited by FromVA : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 19:20.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 21:38

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am peri-menopausal so for me I may not lose my belly until I offically hit menopause. Fat gathers around the uterus because of a reduction of estrogen. Fat contains estrogen. But my belly is shrinking. I still have that tire but it is alot easier to tuck into a girdle.

Black57
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 21:59

Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

FromVA, i'm sorry it wasn't for you, but yes i know men and women are built differently...i am a woman...i have been in the body building circuit since high school and had to quit due to mono and then hypothyroidism...i know it is a WOL...45 minutes most people can do -- or at least the successful ones that don't make excuses for not exercising.every one of the studies or the people i have trained have upped their cardio, or at least done an intenst 45minutes, and have seen tremendous results.WHY does it seem that every time i post someone gets defensive?!?!? and actually, it does not take a lot of time in the gym, if you know your way around the equipment it can take just a good 30-40minutes weight training 3 days a week and 4 days a week of 30-40min cardio.i've done this and seen tremendous results without spending hours in the gym.

look, i'm just having a bad day and i'll wait to post again untill i feel better.

Last edited by flynnlee : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 22:07.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 22:13
Registered Member

Stats: 171/104/103 Female 61"
BF:
Progress: 99%

I'm so glad to see this thread!

I'm not too far from my goal weight and my problem areas are my stomach and inner thighs. The rest of me looks pretty trim, but these areas are horrible! And I do toning exercises for both areas, and I know there's muscle under the fat. Probably my stomach will be the very last to go. Better late than never I suppose!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 22:46
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

one of the physical therapists I work with is also a personal trainer. He has a OMG 6-pack. We got on the conversation one day about stomach fat and such. He said that crunches sit ups etc will never get rid of belly fat. Yes you may have a 6-pack but unfortunatly it's hidden under a 12 pack of fat. He said the only way to combat belly fat and get rid if it is to do cardio or aerobic exercise. That will reduce the fat and then you can do the crunches etc to build the muscle under it to obtain that 6-pack look!