Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 16:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 229/206/190 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 59%
Smile so good so far.....am I stalling ?

Just over a month now and I feel I have had some great results......I have lost 23 lbs!

I only had one "cheat" day and possibly twice went over the 20 grams of carbs limit. About a week and a half into induction I started doing some cardio and have kept increasing it steadily.....

now I can do 60 minutes a day no problem and I do that 4-5 times a week along with a little weight training here and there.

This past week however I have noticed things slowing down a bit.......I have been hovering for about 5 days even though I am still doing my regular cardio and I am still on induction. A couple thing that I have changed recently are that I am not having a protein shake daily as of late, and just 3 days ago I started taking a couple teaspoons of Psyllium husks a day ( a friend of mine said that it seemed to help him).

I have noticed that I'm finally starting to see a bit shrinking of my midsection but it seems to be the last area being affected......I have an old pair of jeans that will be the true measure of success.....and I'm not there quite yet.

I also haven't really relied on those "keto-stix", I've tried them twice and never saw much of an indication...........

Any suggestions fellow Low Carbers ???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 19:00
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

First, it's natural to slow down in weeks 3 and 4 - infamously known as the post-induction stall. Things will get moving again. Sounds like you're doing great with working out - and still losing inches.

Doesn't seem as if there's anything to worry about. Keep it up!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 16:28

BF:
Question Thanks Kaillean....

Thanks for the info Kaillean,

I'm kind of shocked that you were the only reply. There doesn't seem to be much support is this section........I posted this in the Newbies questions too but got no reply either.

Maybe my subject wasn't catchy enough
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 17:56

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

A stall or plateau is considered 4-6 weeks or more with no loss of lbs or inches. As it has only been 5 days, I would not consider it a stall. Your body is probably just adjusting to your >20 lb loss. It is not uncommon to stall for months without loss. Have you been measuring yourself?... it is very possible that you are losing inches w/o losing lbs, especially since you are exercising and building muscle.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 15:43

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

It seems to me that you're doing just fine. Keep up the excercise. Your pants may be a better indicator of fat loss than the scales as you may be putting on a bit of muscle due to the excercise.
I see you're doing Atkins. The Atkins forum seems to get the most people looking at it...but you will always get replies. People need time to get home and log on - also many are too shy to stick their necks out.
Good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 16:45

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

Yeah, lack of responses probably becuase it was clear to most people that you weren't really stalling!! Some people here struggle for longer then a month with no loss, and that's a stall!! Anything that started 'so good so far' screams *and now there is a minor slow down and I am panicing* LOL.

23 pounds in a month is amazing! Well done. Hopefully it should be smooth sailing to goal from here, you sound like you are working really hard and with a little patience at the ah - 'slowdown - and you'll see good results.

Five days without losing? I reccomend that if your scale concerns you you start weighing only every 2 weeks or more becuase then you are more likely to miss this minor slowdowns, and feel motivated rather then concerned.

The changes you make actally both sound like good ones. It is important to get more fibre in your diet, and while protein shakes are good for you as long as you are getting enough protein in your diet you've really just cut some cals.

Good LUck!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 10:20

BF:
Smile thanks for the tips

I've been pretty fortunate so far.........but I have been hovering for around a week now at 204 - 207 lbs........

I guess it's may not be a stall but more of a Blip, but I'm really looking forward about breaking the 200 lb mark.........it's kinda weird that I paused right before it because it's been a pretty steady decline up until now....

anyone have any creative ideas for breakfast ????
( I'm kind of getting tired of eggs...... )
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:04

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

Breakfast:

You might like to try some 'porridge'.
30g (1oz) ground almonds
30g protein powder
15g cracked linseed (flaxseed)
water

mix the dry ingredients
add boiling water
keep boiling lightly as you stir it
add more water if necessary
when it goes gooy, leave to stand for about 1 min.
serve, add cream and sweetener.

or some muesli (if I can spell it!)
equal parts of
sunflower seeds
pumpkin seeds
flaked almonds (slivered almonds?)
ground alomonds
a little chopped apple or strawberries

serve with cream and sweetener.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-19-04, 01:31

Stats: 320/293/240 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Webslinger

I am experiencing a stall myself. I just hit the 30 Day mark today and I have been stuck at 27 pounds for the past 4 days. I think that our bodies are just adjusting to the massive weight loss. Keep going to the gym and I think the weight loss will pick up again.

Superpun
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 02:43

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm experiencing a stall at the moment, I started this WOE 23 days ago, lost weight in induction and nothing since. In fact I go up and down. I've got to stop weighing myself, I know I'm shrinking because I measured myself. When I first tried this WOE 2 years ago, I did the same thing, stalled right after induction and that sent me right off the wagon. This time I'm staying put, if I'm shrinking that's what's important.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 01:22

BF:
Unhappy it's been almost 2 weeks...

So I haven't really lost any more in 2 weeks now. I am floating between 204 and 207lbs......

I haven't done anything drastically different.........still following an induction plan........occasionally going over 20g of carbs but not by much.

I have slowed on my cardio in the last week, but I'm wondering if it's a matter of sticking with what I'm doing or trying to change something. ( I might try to up my cardio to everyday now..........whereas I have been doing 3-4 days a week )

I still haven't given up caffeine, I have my 2 cups of coffee in the morning, and I have some psyllium husks I take every 2 days or so.

Maybe the body just get's used to induction........would breaking the pattern for a couple days.......moving to OWL for a couple days and then coming back to induction kick start it again ?

Thanks for any input.....
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 11:40

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Believe it or not, you are still doing well. Keep up the regular exercise and eat good, whole foods. Going into OWL is a good idea, IMHO. Are you measuring? I'll bet your body is undergoing changes even if the pesky scale isn't showing a change. Keep up the good work.