Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 07:22

Plan: low carb
Stats: 00/00/130 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Winning His Battle (Atkins Success Story)

Winning his battle

02/08/2004

Mike Conaway of Council Bluffs took off 87 pounds and 8 inches on the diet designed by Dr. Robert C. Atkins.

"My starting weight as of last year was 290, and now I'm at 203," he said.

He also reduced his waistline from 42 to 34 inches.

Conaway started the diet Jan. 6, 2003, he said. Like many others, he adopted the diet to fulfill a New Year's resolution.

"I had tried it two years before for a short period of time but didn't stick with it," he said. "I made up my mind at the end of 2002 to set a (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Trackable) goal."

He made a commitment to follow the Atkins diet for one year and cut his weight from 290 to 225.

Before he started, Conaway consumed a lot of soft drinks, he said. He also ate a lot of fast food.

"I would probably drink five or more cans of pop a day at 41 (grams of) carbs per can," he said.

Under the Atkins diet, followers are to consume only 20 grams of carbohydrates a day for the first two weeks. To do that, Conaway cut out pop, bread (including hamburger buns), breaded foods, potatoes (including french fries), pasta and other starchy foods, he said. He drank more water and did not increase his meat consumption.

"I cut out all snacks," he said. "At night, I would have, say, three cheeseburgers with mustard and dill relish." That would contain a total of six grams of carbohydrates, he said.

Conaway weighed himself weekly to keep track of his progress, he said. Because he wanted dramatic results, he decided to stay on only 20 grams of carbohydrates per day after the initial two weeks.

"I stayed at that 20, and no higher than 30, throughout the year," he said.

Although he did not pay attention to fat consumption, he also reduced his cholesterol.

"My cholesterol was at 375 when I started, and after nine months on this, it was 195," he said. "My blood pressure is normal with medication."

Despite more than achieving his goal, Conaway isn't quitting.

"I will continue until I get below 200 pounds," he said.

Then, he will increase his carbohydrate consumption to 60 grams a day, three days a week, he said.

"If I don't gain any weight, I will raise my rate to 100 carbs per day for three days a week," he said. "It will be up to me to figure out what my carb intake per day will be; and, after being on the program for a year, you learn what carbs are in each type of food."

The diet has changed Conaway's lifestyle.

"Now, I don't consider it a diet," he said. "I consider it learning how to watch, as far as things that are high in carbohydrates to stay away from."

The diet does more than make you healthier, Conaway said.

"It makes you feel better," he said. "Then, you feel good about yourself, because you can get around better. You become more outgoing, more confident."

There are disadvantages to the diet, too, Conaway said.

"You have to have fiber," he said. "You can get constipated. You must take a potassium pill every day, you must take a vitamin every day; because you're lacking other nutrients.

"Another thing that will get frustrating for people is, after you lose your initial 30 or 40 pounds, the levels will go longer before you lose more. I've only lost about three pounds since Oct. 1, because, I think, I'm getting down to my natural weight."

The Atkins diet may not work for everyone, Conaway said.

"I would say this diet is not recommended for anyone that is below 25 pounds overweight," he said. "Their metabolism is high enough that this change doesn't really affect their system enough.

"When you're above 25 pounds overweight and you're on this, you'll know results the first week."

That was Conaway's experience, he said.

"I lost 14 pounds the first week," he said. "In the Atkins book, it says if you lose regularly in the first two weeks, this is a sign that you should have never been this heavy in the first place. In other words, you were eating the wrong things."

- Tim Johnson

Source: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?...id=507134&rfi=6

Linda
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 08:58
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

It's nice to see an article with a success story. That doesn't happen very often. It's really too bad he botched it all at the end with the following statements:

Quote:
"You have to have fiber," he said. "You can get constipated. You must take a potassium pill every day, you must take a vitamin every day; because you're lacking other nutrients."

If you're eating your vegetables properly, you'll get enough fiber, potassium, and other nutrients. Remember to drink your water and you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Quote:
"I would say this diet is not recommended for anyone that is below 25 pounds overweight," he said. "Their metabolism is high enough that this change doesn't really affect their system enough."

I suppose if you're regarding it as a weight loss plan and not a way of life, then maybe this is correct, but I know plenty of people who don't need to lose any weight that are following a low-carb way of life, simply for health reasons alone.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 10:06

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
To do that, Conaway cut out pop, bread (including hamburger buns), breaded foods, potatoes (including french fries), pasta and other starchy foods, he said.

Is it really necessary to *specify* that bread includes hamburger buns and potatoes include french fries??

Other than that seemingly ridiculous tidbit, spiffy story.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 10:35
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Good story, other than the vitamins/fiber comment. Truthfully, everyone should be taking supplements as a backup, not just people LCing.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 21:06

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

So he's the guy eating all the cheeseburgers & bacon, and skipping his veggies!
Still, pretty good roundup. And it certainly worked for him.
That whole thing at the end about people with only 25 pounds to lose...how does he think people should take them off???
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 22:38

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I can't get certain nutrients without supplementation. If I stop taking potassium, it's a guarantee that night time leg cramps will be sure to follow.

I eat my veggies, but not as regularly as I should. Today I had tons of salad and brocolli (I tend not to measure veggies, I just eat what I want). I take a multi & calcium, but I was on both of those before I started Atkins. YMMV, but I need supplements.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 22:42

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I need potassium for leg cramps, also. I'm sure I need the other vitamins and supplements but they aren't "as" noticeable as potassium is when I don't take it.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 11:00

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Apparently this guy has experienced the big slowdown after initial weight loss, as we've been discussing in a thread called "The 50 Pound Stall."
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 22:19

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Potassium is by and fare one of the easiest Nutrients to get on an LC Diet. The others are Vitamins A, B6, B12, and C, and the Antioxidants Beta-Carotene and Lutein. Most meats [especially Fish and Beef] are rich in Potassium. 1 serving of Beef [with the Juices] has as much Potassium as a Banana. I routinely get 3,000-5,000mg per day, 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 times the amount recomended [2,000mg] for most Americans. Today I got 5,122mg of Potassium.

Butter and most Green Vegetables contain Vitamin A. The Vitamin A in Green Vegetables comes from Beta-Carotene. B6 and B12 are in very large amounts in meats. For example, today I got 1,028% of my DV of B12 just from the food I ate [I average between 400 and 1,200%.] I routinely get 300-400% of my DV of B6 just from food. Vitamin C routinely runs from 100-200%DV. I get insane amounts of Lutein [46mg,] because I eat lots of Dark Green Vegetables [Spinach, Green Beans, Broccoli, etc...] which are some of the richest sources out there. For reference, that is equivelant of almost 8 pills [if I had taken it as a Supplement.] I also eat Salmon or other Omega-3 rich fish almost every day, getting the equivelant DHA + EPA of 4-8 Fish Oil Capsules...

Vitamin D is the only Vitamin I regularly have trouble getting 100% of from food...I probably get enough from the Sun anyways, but nonetheless I take a Calcium+D Supplement most days. My Daily Calcium [before supplements] runs right at 99-100% most days.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 00:47

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

Hi there, just to add to that discussion..
cc485 your argument is true, if your RDIs are correct.

Drinking alot of water tends to flush electoralytes like pottasium straight out of our system. So does exercise, as they are lost through sweat. Pottasiam deficiency, noticable by cramps, is very common induction symptom - many ppl use pottasiam salt etc. You don't have to take a supplement like the guy says (I don't) but it isn't one of the easiest vitamins to not get deficienct in.

Also... uh.. there is no way I could get those percentages of RDI's becuase there is no way I could eat that much food. I have a dark green vegetable etc limit.. I think as appetites and food consumption decrease it can be harder. I couldn't even eat anywhere near enough meat to get 5,122mg of pottasiam anymore!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 12:12

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb99
Hi there, just to add to that discussion..
cc485 your argument is true, if your RDIs are correct.

Drinking alot of water tends to flush electoralytes like pottasium straight out of our system. So does exercise, as they are lost through sweat. Pottasiam deficiency, noticable by cramps, is very common induction symptom - many ppl use pottasiam salt etc. You don't have to take a supplement like the guy says (I don't) but it isn't one of the easiest vitamins to not get deficienct in.

Also... uh.. there is no way I could get those percentages of RDI's becuase there is no way I could eat that much food. I have a dark green vegetable etc limit.. I think as appetites and food consumption decrease it can be harder. I couldn't even eat anywhere near enough meat to get 5,122mg of pottasiam anymore!!

True, as I've upped the Carbs, my Calories have increased also. Right now I eat about 500 kcal/day more than I did in Early OWL, and 1,000 kcal/day more than I did during Induction. But, I'm still well below what Fitday says I should be burning. Plus, I now work out for about 30 minutes to an hour, 5 times a week. I'm still losing inches [and weight, but slower on the weight]...So, I'm not worrying about those extra Calories. I use my extra Carbs [that I've added back incrementally since Induction] mostly for "Vegetables," some Starchy (Peas and Potatoes,) but mostly Green (Spinach, Broccoli, Green Beans, etc...) I particularly like Spinach and Green Beans. What I do is take about 60g (2 cups) of Raw Spinach; 10g (each) of Mozerella, Cheddar, and Parmesan Cheese; 10-20g of Olive Oil; Grated Broccoli (amount varies); and 100g (0.8 cups) of Cooked String Beans and make them into a Salad. I eat about 3-4 of these a day...one with each meal + one as a snack.

The RDAs for Potassium are kind of wierd. I've seen recomendations varying from as low as 2,000mg to as high as 4,000mg [For Athletes and Persons with CVD.] In general, the 2,000mg I quoted was the commonly recomended intake. I use Lite Salt, but not for the Potassium...But, because I'm trying to limit my Sodium. I probably get 400mg or so from that [but, since I rarely include it in Fitday, it's hard to say exactly.]

Yesterday (3,000 kcal/5,609mg) --

Sirloin Steak -- 1,129mg
Roast Beef -- 1,008mg
Spinach -- 859mg
Bottom Round -- 761mg
Green Beans -- 621mg
Salmon -- 399mg
Other -- 851mg

February 7 (2,200 kcal/4,899mg) --

Whitefish -- 2,501mg
Roast Beef -- 971mg
Green Beans -- 662mg