Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 09:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/180/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default Anti-depressants replaced with vitamins

I am currently taking Paxil CR. I have read in the DANDR that antidepressants can interfere with weight loss. I have tried in the past to get off of antidep. but I experience mood swings, short tempers, edginess, inability to focus and/or concentrate to name a few. Has anyone been successful trading in antidep. for a vitamin regimen? I would love to replace my Paxil for a vita-nutrient. Can anyone recommend which vitamin and/or combination may help with these problems?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 09:42

Stats: 264.0/146/139 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 94%

DO NOT go off your Paxil without discussing it with your Doctor!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 09:59
Registered Member

Stats: 236/213.4/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Just what Volgal said...do not go off without your doctor's advice.

Additionally, not all antidepressants stall or prevent weight loss. Bupropion (wellbutrin/Zyban) has been shown to help weight loss, although the study i am familiar with was not low carb. If that is a serious concern, you might want to talk to your doctor about your options.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 10:07

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default More discussion on the addiction forum

This is a common topic on the addiction/depression list; you may want to go over there and read some of the background. My own experience is that initial loading doses may change weight but once I'm stable, I need to do the same things anyone else does.

The other side is that depression itself, in me, causes massive weight gain.

I hold to "one thing at a time." The year I quit smoking, I didn't worry about my weight. YMMV, but it could be that keeping one's biochemistry stable while learning to LC would limit the variables and allow one to see what's the LC effect and what's something else.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 10:17

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I started on antidep (prozac) at the same time I started a part-time job, after a relationship ended, and I moved in with my father!

I found the entire situation caused me to lose weight, even though I was on antid's. I believe part of it was feeling better about myself, and part of it was the place of employment (I am back there now, with another weight loss after gaining it all back when I left).

However, I didn't have a problem with the prozac. I have been prozie-free for three years, and I still lost the wieght this time.

I guess it had no effect on me, weight-wise, anyway.

M
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-10-04, 10:18

Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%

AS others have said DO NOT go off your meds!!! Do talk to your doc. If you suffer from mood swings perhaps you need a mood stabilizer and Topomax is great for that AND really helps with weight loss. I am on it and it also helps with cravings. But this is a serious med only if needed for mood stabilization...talk to your doc......