Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 11:51
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default question about cardio

ok at the moment I am just looking into this I don't have money for the book much less a set of weights lol.. but I have a question anywho
If I deside to do BFL do I have to do a certain type cardio or can I still do my dance (which is about an hour long class)? I wouldn't mind giving up yoga for awhile, I have been doing both, but last time I slacked off for a few monthes I had to basicly start from stratch.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 12:18

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

any activity that gets your heart rate up and keeps it up for at least 20 minutes is cardio work. If your dance class qualifies, then that is your cardio.

If not, add something else to your program that does give you an aerobic workout.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 13:10
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Hi Crysania,

The BFL book does outline a specific approach to cardio that only takes 20 minutes on cardio days. The actual type of cardio exercise is left up to you but the intensities to do it at are outlined in the book. It is a type of High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). Here is a link to a thread in which Red1cutie outlines the program.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=162091

Although I personally don't think that a dance class would lend itself to HIIT very well, I don't think that means that you'd have to give up the dance class. Just like someone might be doing BFL but also enjoy playing tennis or skiing, etc.

You might be able to pick up a copy of the book at your library.

Arnie
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 15:03

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

I was able to check out BFL from the library, but really there's enough info at www.bodyforlife.com that you don't really need the book. Is there a YMCA near you? They will pro-rate dues based on your income. The Y near us is a very nice facility. Just a thought.

Jen
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 15:19
Medival Princess

BF:

I can not drive ...no car no license.. so I am pretty much home bound except the two days my mother is off work we go out, I work overnights which sucks in alot of ways because I can't seem to get a blasted sleep patern to make doing anything else easier lol (and forget sleeping more then a few hours at a time this is the third time I have gotten up today!) have not seen a Y, and I have not gone the the library since I moved here three years ago... which is not to say I don't read just every Library I have ever been to has sucked for anything that I was looking for lol (I pic up everything off the internet for the most part)
I am gonna check out the body for life website and see what I can glen from it
I know walmart has the book and I get a discount... I am just to cheap *grumbles at self*
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 07:25
Medival Princess

BF:

I have one more question... how do I know how much weight to use?? I have never done any weight lifting before, also do I need someone around when doing them normally no one is home/ awake when I am (I work overnights) so I need to do exersices that are safe without supervision
broke down and bought the book night before but its not really clear on either (in fact the book was about as clear as mud and I normally don't get confused.. )
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 09:30
living kaizen

Stats: 510/406/195 Male 6 feet baby...
BF:
Progress: 33%

I took a few days before "officially" starting and tried out different weights. With your first set of 12, it shouldn't be any more stress than a fast paced walk, then add in sequence. So adjust your starting point accordingly. Do that for a week or so, and keep notes.
If you use dumbbells (or cans or bags of sand/water or whatever) you're mostly OK without a spotter. Anytime the bar or dumbbell is over your head or face is the most dangerous, so use caution.
Congratulations on getting started.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 11:49
"Natural Mystic"

Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Crysania! Congrats on your loss so far.

If you're going to do BFL and can't afford the gym you're going to have to invest in dumbells. You're going to need at least 4 pairs of diferent weights. For example: 2-5 lb, 2-8 lb, 2-10 lb, and 2-12 dumbells. Also if you can get those ankle weights that would be great too. I was pretty weak (still am ) so I started out with 3-pound dumbells.

For Lower body you should probably start with squats and lunges (quads), deadlifts and curls (hams) and calf raises and one-leg calf raises (calves). For

Upper body you can do dumbell presses and flyes (chest), military press and front raises (shoulders), dumbell rows and pullovers (back), extensions and kickback (triceps), and curls and hammer curls (biceps). You can do those with dumbells.

There is a site where you can look up the exercises: ERX Muscle & Exercise Directory

For cardio I think Arnie is right and walk/run program would be best.

I don't know how familar you are with BFL so you should probably check out the library and borrow the book, like Caverjen said.

Good luck! Have fun!

red
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 15:35
Medival Princess

BF:

thanks that actully helped clear some things up
I think most the the exercises that you listed are the ones I desided I'd probably start with ... looked like they required teh least amount of equipment.. I have to wait for payday to get the weights... and figure out how to improvise without a bench til I can get more money lol... (just bought a house so money is a real issue ) walmart had one that with my discount would be about 90 bucks so when I get my bonus next month I can do that
what is so sad I used to lift alot of weight (we bought a truck load of feed a week) and now one 20lb dog food sack is heavy I feel like such a wimp now!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 11:14
living kaizen

Stats: 510/406/195 Male 6 feet baby...
BF:
Progress: 33%

For the beginning stuff, you can just start off on the floor and use a chair or coffee table for things like one armed rows, etc. I found adjustable dummbbells at goodwill for $30. Garage sales are awesome for that kind of equipment. I want to find a heavy bag that way.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 21:11

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

I use the floor and chairs for a lot of my UBWO, and if you have stairs, you can even get a decent incline by putting your butt on a stair and leaning back on a few more.

Benches, ottomans, diving boards, all are fair game.

Cheers!

Friday
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-18-04, 13:10

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

if 20# dog food is heavy - you can always use that for your weight. Squat down, wrap arms, stand up - that's one. Use this for deadlifts. Of course, the problem is you need to always have a spare bag - but you can use sandbags <g>