Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 02:15

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Stopped Smoking

12:00 pm 02/09/2004 is the time I stopped this nasty habit of nicotine and caffeine. It's going to be a rough ride. I've tried this before but never succeeded. I will succeed this time. Caffeine is a trigger for me to smoke.

Part of me is laughing when I write that but I have to conqueror that nasty voice in my head.

Suggestions, comments any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 06:17

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 194/188.9/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

hi smooth...I quit five months ago...it's not easy but it is possible! When those cravings hit ride it out as best you can. When you feel your about to give in wait a few seconds...sometimes a few seconds is all it takes for it to pass...every day gets a little easier ~~~~~~~~~Amy
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 07:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I wish you all the best. I gave up a week ago today and I'm doing far better than I ever imagined. The first time I have quit without nicotine replacements and it's sooooooo much a better way to go.

Beware....smoking cravings are identical to food cravings. Recognise them for what they truly are and drink water instead.

I'm going to post some very interesting links here this morning regarding the connection between nicotine, insulin resistance and low carb eating. They are pretty interesting.

The good news is, now you are nicotine and caffine free (or will be in just over 48 hours) your insulin resistance (resulting from smoking and other stimulants) will gradually begin to improve. In practical terms, that means LCing will soon begin to work better for you
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 07:41
Recovering Yo-Yo

Plan: What's best for me
Stats: 291.6/147/164 Female 5'8"
BF:A work in progress
Progress: 113%

Way to go smooth! You did the right thing with the caffiene.....when I quit 8.5 months ago.....I did not give up my coffee the first two weeks.....it was pure hell....when I decided the coffee was the trigger and I stopped drinking it, dealing with the not smoking became somewhat easier. I still had my moments, but anything you can give up that is a trigger....food or habit....will help you be successful as a non-smoker. Good for you for quitting.....you should be so proud!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 12:18

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

It's 10.20 here and I've been up since 4am <which is my typical time of day to get up>.

Another trigger for me is the computer. Now this will be hard to give up because my income comes from the computer. I would say my laptop is a great companion of mine.<g> All my clients information, spreadsheets, charts everything I need is here..

So that part is going to be rough. I tracked my smoking the last week and found many triggers for me. I also found I don't always realize when I would light up and have a cig.

For instance a difficult bit of programming would have me puffing away before I realized it.

More water….for me.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 13:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

In preparing to quit, I made myself smoke only outside for some months. It cut down the many of the triggers considerably.

Now when you still go right outside in the middle of a Michigan winter, windchill in the -20s, you are one dedicated smoker. :/

At least now I can say WAS a dedicated smoker. LOL
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 23:14

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Day one is coming to a end. So far so good. It hasn't been easy but it has been doable. Have a horrible headache.