Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-01, 00:40

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default tried it their way

Hi everyone.
I stopped low carbing because everyone was nagging at me.
I tried it their way and I haven't lost a pound in a month.
Sometimes I think these so called experts don't have a clue. And of course because their diet didn't work I MUST be doing something wrong!
Oh please, I am so confused.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-01, 01:07
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Shelley,

Did low-carbing work for you? Did it help you to lose weight or control diabetes?

If yes, then you are living proof that it works!

Do you think LC is the right life-style choice for you? If yes, then why do you put what others think before your own health?

These are important questions to sort out. To be truly committed to an LC WOE, you'll have to get your priorities straight.

I'm sure that you don't want to spend the rest of your life in doubt and confused about your eating choices. Decide what you want to do, and if it's LC, you know you'll get lots of support on this board. Read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, read more LC related books and arm yourself with information. Your belief and knowledge is the best defense against detractors.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-01, 06:47

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: tried it their way

Quote:
Originally posted by shelley
Hi everyone.
I stopped low carbing because everyone was nagging at me.
I tried it their way and I haven't lost a pound in a month.
Sometimes I think these so called experts don't have a clue. And of course because their diet didn't work I MUST be doing something wrong!
Oh please, I am so confused.

Shelley who is everyone? Who are the experts that you are allowing to run your life? Are they family? Friends? Doctors?

Karen is right. This is for yourself, not for family, friends or doctors. Yes, even doctors have misinformation when it comes to low carb diets, that is why it is so very important that you read the studies and research and arm yourself with facts before you tell your doctor you are on this diet. If the doctor isn't low carb friendly trying finding one that is.

If family or friends are causing you not to low carb, ignore them. Hand them the Atkin's book, tell them to read it, and then tell them to show you research that says this is bad. And I don't mean those newspaper articles or trade rag reports. I mean medical and scientific reports. (there are none by the way, but make them go look)

Be strong, it's your life.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-01, 08:35

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%

These experts are my G.P., my endocrinologist and 2 sisters who are nurses.
I really don't understand what their problem is. They keep saying that diabetics are at very high risk for kidney disease and being in ketosis is to much of a strain on the kidneys for everyone, much less a diabetic.
But the fact is, I feel terrible when I follow their diet and good when I am on Atkins.

Last edited by shelley : Mon, Jun-25-01 at 08:42.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-01, 08:45

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

If you feel better following Atkin's then do so. Feeling bad isn't worth it.

Just curious but how many people have been on this diet for more than 1 year. Are any of you having kidney problems?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-01, 11:26
Forum Founder

BF:

It will be 2 years for me with this way-of-life in July, and I've never been healthier! I think it's a miracle that I've been saved from obesity, diabetes and heart disease. Not to mention better skin and a clearer mind!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-01, 12:11
lizzy38

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default I stopped low carbing because everyone was nagging at me

Hi Shelley:
I have been on this LC since Mar. 11 of this year and find that I feel very good this way and even when I cheat with the odd small foods, it is in my mind that I do not want to get off. I just feel no guilt about the odd cheat and go on. I stand by what Karen has written to you and second the motion. You did say that you felt better when on the LC so if you do stay on it, you will get nothing but good support, honesty, straightforwardness, and when your body is acting up for any reason, you will get help or be directed to it. Nothing is better than help from others who have been experiencing the same LC, they are the ones who can help, not someone who hasn't been on it. You have to remember that some people, even proffessional have blinders on. Another thing also Shelley if you do decide to stay on the LC than try doing a journal and list the foods and drink that you consume in a day and we here can suggest where you are going wrong in your daily in take towards losing weight. Please do a lot of research and reading into this LC and don't give up, have patience with yourself.

Lizzy
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 20:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/155/130
BF:
Progress:

Shelley,

I know the pressure from family and doctors can be intense. But the ketosis we are in is different than diabetic ketosis. That is why Dr. Atkins has termed it Benign Dietary Ketosis. Has your family read the book? Most people don't even know what the diet is all about. They just hear sound bites on the news teling them it is bad. I just posted a message a few minutes ago about my grandfather who died an agonizing death while following the ADA diet. The diet that your doctors and family are recommending causes more kidney problems than LC. I had problems with kidney stones UNTIL I cut out sugar. Doctors know a lot, but YOU know YOU and you know your body better than any doctor ever will. If you believe the diet is the right thing for your body, then do it. Prove them wrong. We all know you will.

Best of Luck!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 17:55

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

You've obviously been talking to the wrong "experts".
There are plenty of doctors who prescribe a low carb diet for diabetics, PCOS, and a variety of other ailments (Dr. Atkins, to name one prominent one - but you can't ask him any longer).

Listen to your body and your health, and eat how you know works for you. Isn't your health and welfare the most important? They are not in your skin.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 18:08

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

If you feel that the experts, your family, etc are against you, just know that we are on your side and we want you to do what works for you. Adopt us as your family. We're with you. Go Girl!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 21:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I'm sure they are worried about you, but you have an obligation to listen to your own body. It is, after all, the final word!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 10:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Old thread, guys. Shelley hasn't been around in ages.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 11:20
Forum Founder

BF:

Yep! Not since Nov-30-02. But you never know who may be swinging by and have an "aha" moment from reading this thread. We can only hope that Shelly has made the right choice for herself.

Karen