Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 13:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/181/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Peanuts

I've been eating peanuts as a snack. They are salted. It's only a handfull that I eat. But could that be why I am not losing weight? I am stuck. Please advise.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 13:54
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Remember peanuts aren't a nut, they are a legume and can be carby, esp if you aren't measuring.

Weight your handfulls for a bit and see how much you are actually consuming. Also maybe post some of your typical menus to see if there is something else that ocul dbe blamed such as bars or sugar free candy.

Also when you say you aren't losing weight, for how long? It is normall for there to be a slow down or a stall in the third week. Small stalls also happen all through losing weight as your body catches up to itself, that's just part of weight loss.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 14:04

BF:
Default Thank u

Thankyou for responding. This might be a dumb question, but what would you consider to be nuts?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 14:11

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:

squiroga:

Real nuts are tree nuts, like Almonds, Macadamias, and Pecans.

Peanuts, while America's favorite "nut", aren't.

They're all generally considered OK after induction, but you do have to watch the serving size. (The carbs and the calories add up really fast.)

http://atkins.com/global/carb-count...?cat=nuts-seeds

Barrett
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 14:14

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

just read the labels. Some peanuts are relatively high in carbs. About 5-6 per serving. And its easy to eat several servings since they are so small. Eat macadmaia nuts, they are usually 1-2 carbs per serving.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 14:17

BF:
Default Gosh

Thankyou for responding. I need to give away my peanuts I bought from Costco. I started wondering why no lose. Now I know. Do you it's retention of water? or just no lost because of the carbs?

I gave it up today, we'll see how I do the rest of the week. Gracias for getting back to me.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 17:44

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:

Could someone explain something to me ?

There is people with Nut Allergies (thankfully I am not) and they are allergic to Peanuts and other nuts, but not beans/lentils/peas. How so, if Peanut is a Legume and not a nut ?

This is something I have been wondering about for a long time.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 18:15

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiroga01
Thankyou for responding. I need to give away my peanuts I bought from Costco. I started wondering why no lose. Now I know. Do you it's retention of water? or just no lost because of the carbs?

I gave it up today, we'll see how I do the rest of the week. Gracias for getting back to me.

Another thing to consider: those peanuts (and the mixed nuts too) that Costco sells are EXTREMELY salty. A lot of people seem to stall with too much salt.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 18:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:

Quote:
they are allergic to Peanuts and other nuts, but not beans/lentils/peas. How so, if Peanut is a Legume and not a nut ?

What they are allergic to is something found in the oil of the peanut. That is why they have to be careful about products with the warning "This is manufactured in the same facility where peanuts are used." Many can't even have a peanut shell touch thier skin.

For the other nuts, not everyoen who is alergic to peanuts is allergic to tree nuts. They do have to be careful to not get nuts that are processed and shipped at all with peanuts. Likewise some people with tree nut alergies can handle peanuts and peanut butter. It could just be the case of people with alergies often have more then one and some have both an allergy to peanuts and nuts. They may also not tolerate bees and a few other common allergens

One poor kid in my son's class can't tolerate peanuts, milk products, skin from chicken, and about a hundred other things He deals really well, but it has to stink to always have special soy milks and special treats when the rest of the class is eating the same thing.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 20:49

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
What they are allergic to is something found in the oil of the peanut. That is why they have to be careful about products with the warning "This is manufactured in the same facility where peanuts are used." Many can't even have a peanut shell touch thier skin.

My Brother is deathly allergic [to the point he stopped breathing and nearly died on two occassions when we were kids - one of those just from being touched by another kid who had Peanut Butter on his hands] to Peanuts, so whenever I visit I don't even keep them in the house. As for other nuts, noone knows if he's allergic to them or not. Out of caution, he doesn't have any nuts.

As for Peanuts and Carbs, they are not that much higher than most Real Nuts [except Macadmias and Pecans] Carb-wise, and in fact are lower than Pistachios and Cashews. That 5-6g is about half Fiber [1 oz. = 2.76g Net; 1.75 oz. = 4.83g Net,] and the serving size (1 oz. to 1.75 oz.) is pretty large and quite filling. One pack [1.75 oz.] is usually sufficient to fill me up. The same is true for most nuts also, but I don't see any reason to shun Peanuts. They are very low in Carbs, very Filling, and very Low Glycemic [GI = 7-23.] The salt may be causing Water Retention, though.

Macadamia: 1.02g Net
Pecans: 1.21g Net
Hazelnuts: 1.98g Net
Walnuts: 1.99g Net
Almonds: 2.03g Net
Brazil Nuts: 2.10g Net
Peanuts: 2.76g Net
Pistachios: 3.52g Net
Cashews: 7.01g Net
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 19:21
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

the hooties from costco are a real problem for me. I think you might want to find out if uping your water intake will help if it does its retention. I switched to the unsalted hooties at costco but the problem for me was eating way to many of them. I decided to stop buying them for now because I too stoped loosing.

Gabrielle
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 19:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/126/120 Female 164
BF:
Progress: 82%
Thumbs up

Crikey!!

Thanks cc48510 for listing the net carbs on those nuts, although are they for a standard serving size /1oz , presumably they are comparable amounts....I must say that I knew macadamia, pecans and almonds were the best and carbs were higher in carbs, but I didnt realise that cashews were so carby!!! In fact I had stopped buying mixed nuts as peanuts always form the bulk of these (as they are the cheapest) - and I find strangely that peanuts are the most more-ish of the lot despite the fact they are the least tastiest to me!!

I have started to make my own mixes from the macs, pecans and almonds, but have also been eating portions of cashews on their own instead of peanuts..Yikes..glad I know the carb counts now! Fortunately I can exercise good portion control with cashew so I'm sure the damage is limited.

Also, wow! Never knew peanuts were not considered a real nut...I knew they were groundnuts etc and now it all makes sense the leguminous bit, but it never registered before! Geez, you learn something new everyday..thanks for that HogarthNH
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 20:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/194/150 Female 70 inches
BF:?/34%/25%
Progress: 8%

I am one of those strange people who are allergic to tree nuts ( cashews walnets and pecans and stuff)but not peanuts. when i eat cashews (which i LOVE the taste of) about 20 minutes later it feels like someone is stabbing a hot ice pick in my stomach to the point where it makes it hard to breath cause it hurts so bad. I cajn eat like maybe 3-4 nuts but after that its painful.

so peanuts are the only option for me.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 18:04
Registered Member

Stats: 300/220/198 Male 185 cm
BF:
Progress: 78%

It's weird...I can refuse cake, chocolate etc...but have a real problem with refusing peanuts...my trigger food I guess.