Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 15:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/149.2/140 Female 5 feet 6.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Question

I have read Protein Power and am wondering if, for the 55 carbs per day, I really can eat any kinds of carbs I want. I know the book says yes, but is it really o.k. to use my 55 carbs/day to eat white bread or white rice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 17:19

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You could, but that wouldn't be wise. For one thing, you'd miss out on all the nutrients in veggies and fruits.

All carbs are metabolized in the same way -- as sugar -- so in that sense alone all carbs are equal whether they come from broccoli or white bread or pure sugar.

Read the book again and you'll see they don't really advocate this.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 06:07

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

I echo what Bawdy has said - while the Eades don't specifically say 'thou shalt not eat...." they make it clear in both PP and PP Life Plan that the WOE works best if carbs come from veggies, fruits, whole grains, nuts and dairy products instead of highly refined grains like white bread and white rice.

Having said this, I will note that the occasional white flour roll or stir-fried rice with Chinese food will be a part of most of our diets. I personally don't see this as a problem provided it is an occasional - not regular - part of someone's WOE. As Bawdy notes, if you got all or most of your carbs from refined grains, you would not be getting the nutrients in veggies, fruit, etc. I'll add you would also have a diet woefully lacking in fiber and likely have all the digestive and bowel problems that go with a low fiber diet.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 17:39

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Well said Bawdy and Orang! Might I also add that excessive amounts of white flour and sugars and such could trigger cravings and possible overeating in some people since it can raise insulin levels. This is one of the resonings behind "induction-type practices" to clean out and detox your body to get away from all of that! The book does touch on the healthier types of food which they have some listed in the book!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 00:30

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Yes, can I dip in a bit here ( Atkinser ). We really want to remember that it is our goal to get away from the clutches of non-nutritive carbs like white flour and sugar.
When I upped my carbs, I didn't think that I can now eat rice and white bread. DA even advises us to take care in what we chose to add as we raise our carbs. That doesn't mean that I have not eaten mashed potatoes or rice. But I can count, on 1 hand, the number of servings that I have had of these foods.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 08:46

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

I echo what everyone else has said Best to get your carbs from veggies, nuts, and some fruits like berries and melons. I eat some grains, but mainly LC tortillas, and high-fiber crackers, but not very many of those even.

Robin