Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 19:17
Smilie Queen

Plan: Atkins/SB
Stats: 140/128.5/? Female 5'5"
BF:33%/27/22%
Progress: 60%

Ashley - I have a child (14) but I did have an IUD. I have known women who love them but for me it didn't work out too well. It got imbedded in the wall of my uterus which was incredibly painful while it was in, and having it removed was an absolute nightmare. I also found it really increased my cramps and I believe contributed greatly to endometriosis. I think what happened to me was an extreme example, so I would ask as many women as you can their experience.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 19:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/126/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I had the same concern about birth control as you. I had taken ortho-tri before I was on Atkins and I gained 16 pounds! So I know what you are saying. I was terrified to start taking birth control again because of that experience. When I went to the doctor again, I told her what had happened and my concern of gaining the weight that I had just lost from taking birth control again. She started me on the lowest form which is the same thing you were taking (Alesse) the generic for levlite. I have been completely fine for months and I am still losing weight (or at least not gaining any.) If you notice a problem with the Ortho-Lo, then I would suggest asking the doctor for a lower dose.

Last edited by pookiejay : Wed, Feb-04-04 at 19:26.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 10:30

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

Porcellino - thanks for the input. My DH is sort of opposed to it, but my OB GYN thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. I have mixed feelings, but I have been on the pill on and off for more than 10 years and i am tired of the daily hormone...
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 11:18

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am on the Depo shot but have been spotting everyday since August, when I started LCing and quit smoking at the same time. My nurse would like to put me on a pill for a while to see if the helps out with the spotting, what would you all suggest I ask her before accepting one and which do you think I should ask for?
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 15:01

Stats: 125/112/105
BF:
Progress: 65%

I've been having bc dilemmas too...jsut switched from Cyclessa, whcih is similar to Alesse-had horrible breakouts, nausea, 2 and 3 wk long period and bloating. Switched to Mircette which had jsut a smaller abmount of estrogen (about 2g) and it seems to be working out better. MY next option was the otho tri cyclen lo, but reading others' experiences, I'm really glad I didn't try that one. I read some reviews of Mircette, and reportedly users had less complaints of acne than Alesse and Cyclessa users.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 18:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
am on the Depo shot but have been spotting everyday since August, when I started LCing and quit smoking at the same time. My nurse would like to put me on a pill for a while to see if the helps out with the spotting, what would you all suggest I ask her before accepting one and which do you think I should ask for?

While I was losing weight I had the same reaction, spotting while I was on depo. As my body adjusted though the spotting only came when it was time for the next shot. Last cycle I had 0 spotting. I didn';t even relize I was due for another shot until my daughter found the reminder card.

What the nurse told me when I started getting depo was that since it was just progesterone it shouldn't cause weight gain outside of carb cravings. For others though it apperently does. I have to wonder if some of it is psycological though, I didn't gain because I didn't expect too.

For me depo is the best choice. Implants are to risky, and I can't remember to take a pill once a day. The diaphram isn't enough protection, and is a little fussy

Talk with your doctor about what the different options are, then decide what will be best for you personally out of those options.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 18:30

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I started LC'ing in October. I had no TOM like normal in November, but in Dec. and Jan I had a little heavier than normal spotting a few weeks before I was on to the sugar pills. I have found in myself that this is normal for me if I change my eating drastically or stop exercising. I've never stuck to something this long enough for it to happen 2 months in a row so I'm hoping it works itself out next month.

Wee