Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 08:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 223/217/195 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:
Angry plateau already less than 1 month into Atkins

I have been following Atkins for 1 month now. I started at 223 lbs and within the first week and a half dropped to 216.... for the last three weeks, despite staying on induction type 20 grams or less per day , I am still bobbing between 216 and 218 lbs. I eat only 1-2 oz of cheese per day and 1 tbs of cream , as I've hear they may inbhibit weight loss.

A typical day for me is - 2 eggs for BREAKFAST, some wheat bran, bacon coffee with splenda and cream,,, sometimes cocoa. LUNCH - chicken breast small salad - Atkins dressing,,, DINNER - steak, pork, some cauliflower or bocolli. etc.... SNACKS Beef Jerkey, almonds, coleslaw.

I have never gine above 20 carbs any day yet I am not losing!!! What's up? I was drinking some diet soda during week 3 and some alcohol. I also hot dogs, pate, and balogna ALL WITH NO ADDED OR VERY, VERY MINIMAL SUGARS OR STARCH - ALL CHECKED IN UNDER 1 gram of carbs per serving. But I have since given them up within the last week or so and I'm still not losing..... HELP PLEASE....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 08:59
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

This is very, very common. Most people "stall" for a little while after the first few weeks of Induction, as their bodies get accustomed to the new weight and WOE. I personally lost 15 pounds in the two-week Induction, then NOTHING for 6 weeks. Then it started moving again, all on its own. Your body will catch up, I promise.

You're also not too far from your goal, so don't expect this to happen immediately. The closer you get to goal, the slower the weight loss should be. This is frustrating, I know, but it's a good thing. It helps you learn to eat this way for the rest of your life, and gives you time to figure out how many carbs you can eat per day without gaining weight.

Also, watch out for the coleslaw. Unless you're making it yourself, most of it has added sugar. I think I read somewhere that a small serving of coleslaw from KFC, for example, has 30 grams of carbs!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:02
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I would give up the coleslaw (the dressing usually has sugar in it) and the cocoa.

Have you measured yourself? I lose weight OR inches, but not both at the same time. You might be shrinking and the scale not losing for a while. Plus, the hotdogs and the bolongna have a lot of fillers/starch in them and they might be higher in carbs than you think.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275.0/220.0/185.0 Male 72.5 inches
BF:??%/25.7%/??%
Progress: 61%

Unfortunately, plateaus are an aspect of any effort to lose weight.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:13

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You are doing well. Give you body time to adjust. You might consider increasing water and even increasing your carbs slightly to on-going weight loss level. Are you exercising? If not, start. Check your measurements and how your clothes are fitting. Those are often a better indication of fat loss than the scale is. Don't obsess over the scale -- they are known liars.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:18

BF:
Progress:

The coleslaw I make is with Splenda, Cabbage, Sour Cream and mayo and a tiny bit of mustard. It's only about 2.5 grams per cup. And I only eat a cup. I thought Cocoa was very low in carbs, that's why I add it to my coffee. The bologna and hot dogs are no added sugar. the pate does have corn starch - but I haven't eaten it in over one week.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:20

BF:
Progress:

The coleslaw I make is with Splenda, Cabbage, Sour Cream and mayo and a tiny bit of mustard. It's only about 2.5 grams per cup. And I only eat a cup. I thought Cocoa was very low in carbs, that's why I add it to my coffee. The bologna and hot dogs are no added sugar or starches. Bologna is listed on the package as .3 grams per 2 slices and the dogs are .4 (or so, I forget) grams per hot-dog. the pate does have corn starch - but I haven't eaten it in over one week.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 11:07
Registered Member

Stats: 139/129/122 Female 62 inches
BF:!!!????
Progress: 59%

Don't give up... just stick it out and think of the weight you have already lost!!!!!! Quite a bit for only 2 weeks' effort. We've all been there and know how disappointing it is to see the scale needle freeze for a couple of weeks.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 11:12

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Amen, same here. I measure myself. I'm at three weeks today, and induction lost 8 pounds. Teetering up and down 1 or 2 of those eight. But my measuring tape doesn't lie. I've lost 7 inches total, and boy oh boy, do my clothes fit nicely. I can finally breathe in my jeans again!! woohoo!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 11:14

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

I agree with "paleo". Rarely does it seem that we lose inches or el bees at the same time. When DW & I started in May 03, I dropped 22 el bees the 1st month, ehile her scale barely budged. However, I had alot more weight to lose than she did - and she was dropping inches al over. So stick with this WOE. It works!!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 12:07

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

The hot dogs and bologna could have high sodium contents, causing you to retain some water, but I see you cut those out in the last week. I think you should stick it out. Very often, after rapid weight loss, people's bodies take a break to readjust to the weight that has been lost. That could be what is happening with you. Good luck on your LC journey!!!

Last edited by paradise : Tue, Feb-03-04 at 12:09.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 12:12

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

What about your beef jerkey? Is it store bought?