Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 21:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/195/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Three things I can't do on the diet

1. I can't give up my coffee, cream and Splenda in the
morning. (1 mug.)
2. I'm not getting all the required water down (but I'm
drinking more than I ever have).
3. I don't exercise and HATE to excercise.

I've lost 5 lbs. in 4 weeks, I'm still in ketosis. Carbs are about
25-30 per day, sometimes less.

Question: Will I eventually lose weight but at a slower
pace? I'm willing to wait because I'm not going to go back
to my old way of eating.

Foody
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 22:05

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

1 mug of coffee? I wouldn't worry about it.

Water WILL make a huge difference. Push the envelope there.

Unless you don't like to move at all, a la Jabba the Hutt, then there is probably some exercise you don't hate. Exercise is just movement.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 22:11

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foody
1. I can't give up my coffee, cream and Splenda in the
morning. (1 mug.)
2. I'm not getting all the required water down (but I'm
drinking more than I ever have).
3. I don't exercise and HATE to excercise.

I've lost 5 lbs. in 4 weeks, I'm still in ketosis. Carbs are about
25-30 per day, sometimes less.

Question: Will I eventually lose weight but at a slower
pace? I'm willing to wait because I'm not going to go back
to my old way of eating.

Foody

(The word "can't" implies UNABLE, not UNWILLING!
It's really hard to say, definitely.
Some people have been able to reach goal doing exactly what you're doing. I'd think the discerning factors would be:

1. Age
2. Genetics
3. General state of health
4. Dieting history

As far as the water goes, you should make an effort to stay hydrated, but there still is no conclusive proof that an EXCESS of water is crucial to weightloss.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 22:27
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I don't exercise. Heck, I hardly move at all.
"Sedentary lifestyle" is my middle name...
And I drink lots of strong coffee.

However, I *DO* drink a gallon+ of pure water daily.
When I drink less - I don't lose weight.

So water is the key. At least for me.

Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water.

Last edited by gilibel : Mon, Feb-02-04 at 22:31.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 23:50

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

If you are going to pick one to work on -- WATER. By far VERY important to your weight loss.

My number 2 pick would be exercise but it's a weak #2. If you can get out for an extra short walk or two during the week or take the stairs instead of an elevator, great -- that's exercise. A lot of people don't exercise and do well while some people have to in order to loose weight. I would think though, when you are closer to goal it's going to become more important to get exercise. Right now -- ehhh. if you are loosing without it and you REALLY don't want to do it -- it's your choice. Don't beat yourself up over it.

#3 Coffee. I still drink 2-3 cups a day and I'm fine. It seems most people are. There are some unlucky ones out there who stall from coffee though. Again, if you are loosing while drinking it -- don't worry.

In summary: Drink lots of WATER and don't sweat the other stuff too much.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 04:24

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilibel
Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water. Drink your water.

I read that and immediately, a slightly monotone, older male voice began to say in my head:

"If I could offer you only tip for the future, water would be it. The long term benefits of water have been proved by scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience...But trust me on the water..."

(thing a few years old song >;þ)
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 08:19
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd Rydia
I read that and immediately, a slightly monotone, older male voice began to say in my head:

"If I could offer you only tip for the future, water would be it. The long term benefits of water have been proved by scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience...But trust me on the water..."

(thing a few years old song >;þ)

5. Do one thing every day that scares you.
6. Sing.
7. Don't be reckless with other people's hearts. Don't put up with people who are reckless with yours.
8. Floss.
9. Don't waste your time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind. The race is long and, in the end, it's only with yourself.
10. Remember compliments you receive. Forget the insults. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.
11. Keep your old love letters. Throw away your old bank statements.
12. Stretch.

#8   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 08:23

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I never gave up my coffee.
I never gave up my cigarettes (bad girl! I know...)

However, I do exercise. My body requires it.

My boss has been on the plan for oh probably 8 months now. She doesn't exercise. She's losing but it's very very slow.

I seriously admire you volume water drinkers. I would literally be ill if I tried to drink that much fluid. I can usually managed half of what I should. But then, I've been this way all of my life.

Hugs all around!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 08:23
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

As you get closer to your goal and the weight loss becomes slower and slower, you may find you'll need to drink even more water and start exercising to keep things moving.

I wouldn't sweat the coffee though.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 08:24

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%

I didn't like exercise either...but I started lifting dumbells while watching tv Then leg lifts another time...I am feeling stronger and really like that so I am going to a gym tonight with a friend..I love how I feel after exercise so that makes it all worth it. ANd it doesn't have to be alot. Something is better than nothing!

WATER: BIG ONE THERE I have heard over and over it is the key! I have a horrible time with it and I think that really makes a diff.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:29

Stats: 240.2/227.4/164 Female 69 inches
BF:mini goal 225
Progress: 17%

I don't like to exercise either...so I have made other adjustments that help me get it in that I did not do before. I don't look for closer parking spots..pull into the first one I see, so I have to walk further to get into the store. Even if i have everything I need, I will walk around the store once or twice..might find something else, or stop and talk to people, etc. Instead of making just one trip to the laundry room like I used to, I make 3 or 4 trips with clothes..I don't drop as many either. Just little changes, but they do add up.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:37

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I didn't give up coffee for too long, either (20 minutes?)

The only exercise I really had was walking around in the summer... well, okay, I mostly just walked to the resto that is about 50 m or 150 feet from my apartment and sat deown to have a pint...

I also walked thirteen minutes to work and back every day. It wasn't much at all, really, but every little bit helps. I don't have a car, either, and I think that helps too. Walking to and from the subway or store adds anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes of exercise that I generally don't even think about.

I lost 8 lbs the first month, then 6lbs, then 5 lbs. Not bad for eating steak, shrimp, eggs, bacon, cheese, etc.... oh yeah, and lots of salads and fresh cut veggies.

Good luck! The end might not be in sight, but you will turn around one day and not even see yourself! It happens without a bang... think tortoise and hare...

Mare
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:39

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Absolutely. I don't exercise per se, but I live on the third floor, park at the edges of parking lots, and take walks at lunchtime if I can manage it. Even ten minutes a day will add up.
I would like to add: DANCING. Dancing is very intense, a lot of fun, and can be done in the privacy of your own home. Believe me, it's all I can do to keep going for 15 minutes, and that's only part of a CD. It's the most fun way I know to get some exercise in, and costs very little (and you probably have the stereo, the music channels on the TV, etc.)
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 09:50
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I never gave up coffee, and I do not exercise, but water, that is a MUST for me.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 11:17
Registered Member

Stats: 230/218/170 Female 69.5 in
BF:34.5%
Progress: 20%

Thank GOD you haven't given up coffee too! I tried and had such sever headaches it was incredible. I was useless to my family for 2 days. So guess what, Istarted drinking coffee again but cut down to only 3 a day since that is the recommended amount of sweetener packs you should use in a day.