Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 12:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile just something to be cautious of

hi just wanted to let you all know, you should be very aware that after living this wol for awhile your liver is very clean, and taking a cold medication can be hard. i have been very congested and took the recommended dosage of an over the counter decongestant and i became very ill. i felt like i was extremely drunk, very light headed and started sweating extremely bad. just really a weird feeling so my husband called a a very good friend of ours who is a doctor and she explained that with this way of life your liver becomes very very detoxified and therefore it doesnt take much medication or alcohol to effect you. so i guess i probably overdosed myself without knowing it. so just be cautious when taking something and driving or operating things. luckily i was at home for the day and wasnt somewhere driving.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 13:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks for sharing that. It's well known that when you are on a low carb WOE that alcohol hits you harder and faster than when you are not. The reason for this is that your body is already running mostly on ketone bodies and alcohol is converted directly to those. When you are on high carb, this conversion takes a bit longer than when you are not.
Liquid cold medicines are often high in alcohol (some as high as 50 proof) and when combined with some of the other ingredients (decongestants, etc..) can have a powerful effect on someone who is low carbing.
I'm not sure that the capsule forms of cold medicine would have the same effect, so it might be helpful if you were to post which type (liquid vs. capsule) cold medicine that you took.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 13:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Good thing you weren't operating any heavy machinery!

Thanks for the tip. I discovered that my usual medications didn't seem to work as well, in my case. I had to shop around a little to get relief.
Good to know why!
Liver detoxified...that sounds really good to me.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 13:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:

i took a capsule form tylenol sinus it was. thru me for a loop and i have taken this before so i know it wasnt an allergic reaction or something
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 14:03

BF:

Quote:
i have taken this before so i know it wasnt an allergic reaction or something

You can't rule out an allergic reaction based on the fact that you have taken something before without a problem. You can develop an allergy to something that you've never had a problem with before at any point in your life. A good example of that with myself is aspirin; I took it most of my life without a problem but in college developed an allergy to it (breaks me out in hives every time I take it or any medicine with aspirin in it). Same thing with a couple of antibiotics; never had a problem with them until I was over 20 and now I'm very allergic to them.
Now that you know that you react badly to a normal dosage, though, you can be cautious the next time you need it and either find something else or take less of it.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 14:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Probably the alcohol in it, I'm guessing. I think I'm more sensitive to it now too. A glass of wine really knocks me on my tush!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 15:27

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

What if you're on a decongestant daily, I wonder? Will the dosage slowly become too much, or will your liver stay used to the amount you're getting?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 15:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pd Rydia
What if you're on a decongestant daily, I wonder? Will the dosage slowly become too much, or will your liver stay used to the amount you're getting?

I can only base this on my DH's reaction to low carbing and degongestants. He's on a daily dose of Rynatan (prescription decongestant) and Rhinocort. He hasn't noticed any problems with either. He has noticed, however, that his allergies do seem to be better with the addition of low carbing than they were before with just the medication alone. Unless, of course, he's eating something that he's allergic to!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 15:52

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I can only hope my allergies get better with this diet. I'm allergic to just about everything you can breathe around here, inside and outside. No food allergies, though.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 15:58

Plan: Modified Atkins/Zone
Stats: 130/100/105 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Exclamation Low carb and alcohol

Wow! I always complain to my friends that after just one glass of wine, I feel drunk. They always tease me, and say "yeah right!" Your explanation of the liver being "detoxified" helps explain (and justify) why I'm such a lightweight!

Thanks!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 16:07
Rasputin

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Ahhh ... excellent tip there. Cheers for bringing it to light.

Funnily enough when I went off the wagon a bit (but still mostly LC) & I drank wine to the degree that I used to, I did get really rather hammered quickly.

Least it is cheaper now to get a buzz!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 10:03

Stats: 165/158/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 28%

WOW, thanks for the advice
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 10:13

Stats: 169/132/132 Female 153 cm
BF:

Hi

I took an allergy med the other night, and I was up half the night! This might be the same thing...

I normally take reactine extra strength, but I am going to divide them in half for now on... BTW pd Lydia, my allergies increased not just with the season, but with weight gain too. Now that I am closer to a healthy weight, I only have spring allergies-- none to my cat , dust, etc.

Mary
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 10:25

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 240/224/199 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 39%

Very good to know. I actually quit taking a lot of suppl;ements because they were makeing me sick. Not to mention my allergy meds. This is great info!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 10:38

Stats: 290/230/130 Female 65 inches
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2brickie
doctor and she explained that with this way of life your liver becomes very very detoxified and therefore it doesnt take much medication or alcohol to effect you.

If this way of life so detoxifies the liver - than why do people with liver problems have problems with this WOE and cannot do it???????