Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 13:26

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Hunger from delayed eating: advice needed

Normally, if I'm hungry, I eat. Because of circumstances this morning, however, I didn't get anything to eat until noon, at which point I had been very hungry for a few hours.

At noon I ate two sausage patties and two fried eggs. Then about an hour later I had a piece of LC whole wheat bread with one tablespoon of natural peanut butter. For me, that's a lot of food in an hour's time. I am STILL hungry, though.

My question is this: should I eat something, or should I not? I know one day won't make a great deal of difference, but if this happens again, I'd like to know the best way to deal with it.

Plus I'm hungry.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 13:33
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I always wait 20 minutes and see if I am still hungry. If I am, I eat something high fat. Cheese usually helps. I will take a slice of cheese and microwave it with some black olives or pepperoni (in my case fake). I microwave it for about a minute.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 13:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

The LC whole wheat is what made you hungry. Intense hunger is indicative of an insulin spike. If you're in ketosis, you shouldn't be hungry.

My best advice would be to try to plan a little better in the future. Keep whole foods on hand (HB eggs, leftover meats, etc.). If you're in a situation that you can't be near a fridge, take a small cooler with you, to keep foods cold.

But just for today, look for a protein source to try and squelch the hugner.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 13:40

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

When I eat any sort of bread..even LC tortillas...and I do eat them from time to time...I generally end up STARVING soon after...it's weird and no fun at all!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 13:56

BF:

Actually, I don't think it was the bread; I never stopped being hungry from this morning. That's what freaked me out a bit; I'm not used to being hungry for four hours straight. Usually my hypothalamus gives up after a few minutes if I don't feed myself. (Don't worry, I generally don't go more than four or five hours without eating.)

Anyway, I've had a few pieces of this bread in the past week (and LC tortillas before as well) and not had any problems with it (maybe because I always have it with fat and protein), but ever since I started this WOL, I have to eat breakfast. If I leave home without having breakfast, I have to eat when I get to work.

I guess now I know that skipping breakfast completely will not work for me. You were right about being prepared, OHGal1415. If I had some string cheese or something with me this morning (we went out early, and it took longer than expected), I would have been fine.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 14:02

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

There you go!

When you fail to plan...
(I'm one to talk! Some days it's all I can do to get ME to plan things! <<grin>>)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 14:10

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hey FrecklFluf:
I think Atkins says you are supposed to eat within 2 hours of waking up (I think?!)
Just do as he suggests and eat only high fat foods until your hungry disappears.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 14:18

BF:

Yes, normally I eat within an hour or so of waking.

I am still a bit peckish. I think I may make some devilled eggs. (I will have to post my recipe here. It is quite scrummy.)